Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM

69 posts, read 208,044 times

Advertisements

does anyone know bill fogle (originator of the heritage fair)? does anyone know where he is living, how he is doing and how to get in touch with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 AM

18 posts, read 41,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I'd love to hear your definition of a 'haughy-taughy yuppified' neighborhood.

I live in 'nice' part of Canton, and my neighbors are 2 drug dealers, an unwed mother of 2/heroin addict, a family of 11 people living in a 2 story row home (these are my favorite, their 5 year old is still in diapers, the older kids don't go to school and both teenage daughters are pregnant), a retired animal trainer for a circus (this guy is awesome), 3 houses stuffed with college kids (one of them is pretty cool, one is a bunch of guidos, and one is just super quiet), 2 different old, unemployed ladies that stoop all day while drinking beer (they are actually pretty cool and watch out for my wife), and 4 households that are professionally employed.

Of the professionally employed, there's my family, one guy that works on TV (I'll keep his name private), and 2 defense contractors.

I once got home from a vacation as they were pulling one OD victim out of her house. She'd been in there dead for a week.

My closest friend/neighbors packed up and moved once they got pregnant.
"We like it here, but it's not a place to raise a family". Their houses are still sitting empty b/c they can't find a renter w/ decent credit, and they can't sell b/c of the economy in general.

Haughty-taughty yuppies? Pft. You don't know what you're talking about.
Nah, I don't know what I'm talking about, I only lived there for years

Beemrs, Benzes, PBR stickers, kayak racks, nah its not yuppified at all. I heard Fed Hill is quite the rough and tumble neighborhood to!

Ohhh wow you have what 1 "bad" house near you and that somehow doesn't mean that the MBA Jager Bomb crowd isn't taking over Canton? If thats the case, I have a bridge in Brooklyn Park to sell you, cheap!
Jackass.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 PM

45 posts, read 261,160 times
jim prow, just look up Bill's phone number on Internet White pages. I found one in the Charlesmont neighborhood that is probably his. He is still active with the Heritage Fair and even MCs on the main stage.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM

45 posts, read 261,160 times
Do you have Merritt Point Beach/Park, Dundalk memories? Do you ever go to the park - once called Merritt Beach - anymore? I have a very nice set of recent Merritt Point Park photographs on Flickr.

This photo set will also show anyone who's never been there how nice that the waterfront parks are in Dundalk.

Merritt Point Park in Dundalk, Maryland - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ursusdave/sets/72157624471487315/ - broken link)

Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,144,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusdave View Post
Do you have Merritt Point Beach/Park, Dundalk memories? Do you ever go to the park - once called Merritt Beach - anymore? I have a very nice set of recent Merritt Point Park photographs on Flickr.

This photo set will also show anyone who's never been there how nice that the waterfront parks are in Dundalk.

Merritt Point Park in Dundalk, Maryland - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ursusdave/sets/72157624471487315/ - broken link)
Great pics - thanks for sharing. I learned to swim at this park. This was in the mid 1960's. There was a summer camp at Colgate Elementary School (the neighborhood where I grew up) and once a week we'd all pile on a yellow school bus and go out to Merritt Point Beach for our swimming lessons.

I visited the park several months ago and it seems much different than how I remember it. I seem to recall an actual sand beach in the area where the swimming was allowed. But then again, that would have been about 45 years ago, so I can't say for sure.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,521 times
We live in Harbor View, right outside of Dundalk. We have great, hardworking neighbors who OWN their homes and OWN their cars unlike Towson, Annapolis and Ruxton etc. with two LEASED Mercedes in the driveway and so house poor they can't afford furniture for most of the rooms. I'm a professional pianist and I have played these areas so I know first hand how they live. By the way, I hold 3 BA's in Music from Notre Dame and my husband (Dept. of Defense) has his Master's in Electronics Engineering from Loyola. This is a great blue collar area and I would rather live here than anywhere else in the state. People still do for one another in this area. Try that in Towson.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,413 times
I may rub some people the wrong way here... but seeing this was enought to warrant a quick registration/reply. Imagine your living in some sort of slow-motion zombie flick, but the zombies are too doped up on methadone / random pills to have the motivation to each your brains (or the teeth). That is Dundalk. Want to know who might actually enjoy the place? Someone that owns a house on one of the nicer streets, and rarely goes outside. If your a renter on a budget that wants to be out-and-about, for-get-it. It doesn't just suck, it is the very definition of suck. Pregnant teen-trash puffing menthol cig's in front of the Royal Farms? Check. Wanna-be gangsters acting "hard"? Check. Scum-of -the Earth just waiting to pester you when you attempt to buy beer at the local liquor store? Check. The whole "you ain't from 'round here, is you?" mentallity (if your demeanor/image is not one of the "woe-is me welfare ain't enough" or the "you don't look like you work as hard as me" type) Check.... it goes on. Can't type-cast the place entirely but as a whole, just look somewhere else. It's depressing. I don't ever want to go back. The highlight? Probably Donna's- which is a decent, clean bar. I'm no yuppie type by any stretch, but I don't wanna' live in a place that looks like the American Dream came to a screeching hault years ago....

I called it "Fun-dalk" The irony being that it's anything but.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,783,136 times
Default The whole scale

I guess the two previous posts cover the whole scale.
Methinks RickenRocker is a tad too harsh. I don't live in Dundalk but I think that the area suffers from undue attacks by a variety of snobs. In Inverness at least I see a small-town atmosphere of regular folks. There even seems to be Little League baseball!
Barbie9 may be guilty of overoptimism. A friend who ran an auto dealership with lots of Dundalk customers prepared their credit profile. He was shocked. Yes, the older generation bought with cash. But the younger generation had huge amounts of unsecured credit debts for all kinds of must-have crap that no one needs and the older generation would not even consider (possibly because they may not know what Home Theaters are all about).
I stand by my initial assessment. An unpretentious house hunter should not overlook Dundalk. It is working class and may not be fancy, but lots of happy campers live there.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,435,665 times
Yes, and the Dundalk boosters are also guilty of their own reverse snobbery. Dundalk has far more foreclosures than Ruxton and because of the lower incomes there will be more people living beyond their means and from paycheck to paycheck than in the higher income areas.

Dudnalk has its strong core of hard working, friendly people but like most older industrial areas Dundalk has suffered along with the decline of the industries that once supported it. This is particularly a problem among younger Dundalk residents who can't count on the jobs at Bethleham Steel and Sparrows Point that their parents and grandparents did. One sees the same phenomenon in many small towns across the US. Without a permanent well-paying job base for less educated, less trained workers, the slide to drugs, alcohol and poverty becomes very problematic and real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I guess the two previous posts cover the whole scale.
Methinks RickenRocker is a tad too harsh. I don't live in Dundalk but I think that the area suffers from undue attacks by a variety of snobs. In Inverness at least I see a small-town atmosphere of regular folks. There even seems to be Little League baseball!
Barbie9 may be guilty of overoptimism. A friend who ran an auto dealership with lots of Dundalk customers prepared their credit profile. He was shocked. Yes, the older generation bought with cash. But the younger generation had huge amounts of unsecured credit debts for all kinds of must-have crap that no one needs and the older generation would not even consider (possibly because they may not know what Home Theaters are all about).
I stand by my initial assessment. An unpretentious house hunter should not overlook Dundalk. It is working class and may not be fancy, but lots of happy campers live there.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:10 AM

99 posts, read 327,415 times
The area where Noth-Point Drive-in needs to be revitalized as well as the Logan Shopping Center. One thing worth mentioning is the planned new Dundalk High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore