Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 PM

6 posts, read 25,214 times

Advertisements

Hi, So I'm a female medical student moving to Baltimore. I have never lived on my own before and from the reading the threads I'm a little scared at the crime in Baltimore. I'm going to be going to Union Memorial Hospital and Harbor Hospital (I know they are like 20 mins apart and i will have a car). I have been checking craigslist and crimebaltimore.com and can anyone please guide me with areas that are relatively safe neighborhoods??? I am just looking for a 1 bedroom and safety is a big thing for me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,704 times
If you look at the sticky at the top of the page, you'll see various neighborhoods described. Charles Village and Roland Park are right next to Union Memorial and are very safe, so they'd be convenient. Fells Point and Federal Hill are further south and are closer to Harbor Hospital. Mt. Vernon is between the two.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:03 PM

What about Bolton Hill? Is that safe?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,567 times
I find Bolton Hill safe.

Check out B Bistro (A Bolton Hill Bistro - b) to get an idea of the area. I think you will find it nice.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Since you're a girl and safety is paramount, I think you need to concentrate on the building you live in no matter what your neighborhood is like. There are rapes, robberies and breakins all over the country and many times single young women are the targets. Sorry to scare you more. At any rate, it seems to me that men tend to target young single women. So you can be more apt to be a victim of crime even if you live in a rural area with a low "on-paper" crime-rate. Actually that might be less safe if you're single.

Please make sure that the building you live in is safe and has a secured entry. Please also make sure that you look around when getting into or exiting your car and apartment. Also, try to avoid being excessively drunk in private or public since that can make you a target. Also, make sure your windows have opaque curtains. Also, leave the lights on in the bathroom if you leave your apartment and leave the radio on at all times. Make sure that your apartment has locks on the windows and doors Especially if you live on the ground floor.

That goes for any apartment in the suburbs OR the city. And make sure you lock the door when you leave. Wow, now I sound like your mom If you're careful, you can have a safe fun time. I'm sure others have given you the low-down on the safest neighborhoods inside Baltimore, so living in those areas will help, but single girls need to take precautions no matter where they are to avoid crime.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentMed16 View Post
What about Bolton Hill? Is that safe?
There's some debate:

Walking at night Penn Station to Mt Vernon/Bolton Hill; why does safety vary block to block?

If you search the threads on this board, you'll see many of your questions already answered.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 PM

31 posts, read 195,300 times
Default Charles Village and around there

I live near Union Memorial and find it to be relatively safe. I shared your safety concerns when moving to Baltimore as well. Charles Village, in a managed apartment building might work for you, but you'll want to make sure that it's not a place dominated by undergrads who want to party 24/7.

Since you're driving everywhere, you can pretty much just pick the place that makes you feel the most safe. One area that I found very nice when were looking was the Villages of Homeland (a "gated" community), which is more north of Union Memorial. With your need to commute to Harbor Hospital as well, you might look around Federal Hill, Harbor East, Fells Point. Hopefully you will have a chance to visit Baltimore and scope out the areas you are thinking of living before you come here.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 PM

31 posts, read 195,300 times
Default also

Ditto to everything Kinkytoes said.

Have you thought about trying to match up with a roommate who will also be a med student? Not just for your safety concerns, but it can be a lot to move to a new city and be on your own by yourself all at once.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:20 PM

Thank you everyone for your inputs!!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 PM

What about the necessity of a car? Should I really bring one or is the public transportation system good and safe in baltimore? (especially to hospitals)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: