Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 21,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! My wife and I will both start attending PhD programs at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and Rutgers University in New Brunswick this fall. Currently we live in San Francisco and we are not familiar with the mid-Atlantic part of the East Coast. A few friends suggested living in Philly and commuting two or three times per week to our respective campuses.We looked at a number of websites with regard to different transportation options in the area and whereas Amtrak undoubtedly offers the most convenient one, it is far from affordable($ 950 for a monthly pass from Philly to Baltimore is outrageous!) ...It seems that it will be easier and cheaper for my wife to get to Rutgers via the River Line or regional transit to NJ. However, the only more promising option to Baltimore seem to be the Chinatown buses or driving and everyone i've spoken to has been discouraging me from the latter!
I would greatly appreciate any feedback and thoughts on making this or a similar arrangement work. We are very flexible and not necessarily set on living in Philly...Perhaps it might make more sense to live closer to one of the campuses and for only one of us to bear the burden of the commute..
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 02:37 PM

184 posts, read 750,933 times
Philly makes sense to me. If your schedule on campus if flexible and you can arrive after rush hour, I think driving would be OK. South Jersey might be an option, or Wilmington. The worst driving in the New Brunswick-Baltimore stretch is in NJ, in my opinion.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:13 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Chinatown buses... I've had bad experiences. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't. I've been on a Chinabus that broke down in the Lincoln Tunnel before. Driving isn't so bad... you may get stuck in traffic, but you'd get stuck in traffic in a Chinabus as well. Either way that's a nasty commute, but if it's only two or three times a week, you might be able to manage.

BTW, Philly itself... I'm not so fond. South Jersey has some nice suburbs - nicer than the PA suburbs actually. Also not particularly fond of Wilmington. So I would suggest South Jersey.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:20 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Also, there's always two rush-hour bottlenecks between NB and Balt: on the Turnpike between Exits 7 and 8, and in Delaware. So yeah, try to avoid rush hours.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:35 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I'm not much for cities. I personally would relocate to Burlington County, NJ, as near to the I-295 corridor as possible, and drive. I live in Robbinsville, NJ right now (which is north of Burlington, in southern Mercer County, right off of Rt. 130 and near I-295) and New Brunswick is a 35 minute drive, whereas Johns Hopkins is precisely 2 hours at off-peak hours (with traffic it's closer to 3 hours). I think if you were in southern Burlington it could be close to a 1ish hour drive for each of you. Also Rutgers has another campus in Camden, which is right over the Burlington County border. If some of the Rutgers classes could be taken at the Camden campus, that would be a huge time saver. The drive to Johns Hopkins is easy, it is almost pure highway. The only significant traffic is once you get into Baltimore city limits, and if you can arrange your schedule so you don't have to drive during rush hour, it's not a horrible commute.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 21,070 times
Thanks everyone! Your posts will certainly make us reconsider driving as an option, especially in terms of going to Baltimore! We are really set on making this difficult situation work and I really appreciate your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: