Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

I don't know about this one folks....the Mayor's Office recent proposal to reduce weekly garbage pick up to one a week and to increase recycling from one a month to once a week. I think the idea has merit and is well intentioned. A voluteer group went into the woods near Cylburn and brought out a mound of garbage that measured at least 10' by 10' and 4' tall..not to mention enough discarded tires to supply BPD with retreads....One of Baltimore's blessings is also its curse...the urban forest and woodlands that dot the cityscape.. They provide a wonderful refuge for wildlife and recreation.. but that also provide opportunities for dumping not to mention other illegal activities. I think what is being proposed makes sense and may even be economical (though 150 plus public works employees may lose their jobs).. but if people result to the convenience of dumping on vacant lots or in the urban forest.. the City will spend additional funds cleaning it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Lots of folks in this town have no concept of cleaning up after themselves and it's a pity. I mean even my dogs won't s*** or p*** where they eat and sleep, yet many humans in town will just dump it anywhere with no regard to themselves or each other.
Example: I was coming back from Ellicott City on Friday afternoon along Frederick Avenue and hit a light. The car next to me opens back door and places a full styrofoam container of food with matching cup onto the street--light changes and drives off. Eek!!!! Just imagine the cleanliness of that one!!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
Weekly garbage pick up is going to be nasty.

The only solution will be to report people that put out their trash early because the rats will over run the city.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM

Aren't they supposed to distribute cans to everyone in town with the new policy? I heard that was part of the deal.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Aren't they supposed to distribute cans to everyone in town with the new policy? I heard that was part of the deal.

Had heard that as well but there was some disagreement among councilmembers on the cost/savings of buying everyone in the city a new can so I am not sure where it stands. I received in the mail the other day a flyer that said something to the effect of "get one of these (a pic of a trash can with a lid clamped down tightly) or get one of these ( a pic of a $50 citation) so maybe they are just going to step up enforcement and fine those who just throw a trash bag out on the curb.. Its going to be a re-education for some folks I'm sure.. Drive across the City on any given day and you see trash out for collection in all forms with and without lids.. in black bags white bags boxes etc. To get everyone to use a can with a lid may be a challenge. Then you have the occasional nusance of your lid being blown or thrown down the street which is why I believe most folks dont use them.. I have a chain on mine to keep it attached to the can ..... even the most determined sanitation worker can not turn it into a frisbee....I could also pony up and buy one of those expensive cadillac mac cans with the rims/whitewalls and the convertable top that attached with a hinge to the can.. Had a neighbor who bought one and encouraged the rest of the community to stay away from them after his got away from his house and was seen cruising along Northern Parkway....

Last edited by Woodlands; 04-07-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 10:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Guys, I can't believe Sheila Dixon decided to Not reduce the tax-rate, to help the Homeless instead of tax-paying citizens and now wants to reduce the tax collection days to one day a week. When will they put her in jail? I know the charges are trumped up, but I think she's insane and needs to be drummed out of office now. I also heard she wants to attract some of those poor innocent, insane, verbally abusive, public-pooping homeless people back to the park in front of city hall by planting fruits and vegetables for them, with our tax money. Grrrrr.

Anyway, I do have a point.

If you oppose the reduction in trash collection, pls contact your representative: Members of the Baltimore City Council

Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I could also pony up and buy one of those expensive cadillac mac cans with the rims/whitewalls and the convertable top that attached with a hinge to the can.. Had a neighbor who bought one and encouraged the rest of the community to stay away from them after his got away from his house and was seen cruising along Northern Parkway....
I decided to buy one so I wouldn't have to worry about getting another fine for not having my trash stored properly.

I recently purchased my property and someone put trash in the alley behind my house so it's my responsibility and all home owners to clean city property (a portion of the alley behind your house) or you will get a fine (communism ???). Now I just try to check it daily and have a big trashcan to make sure my trash is covered (even though only 5% of the city probably does this).

So I noticed that the trash people sometimes weren't pulling the bottom trash bag out of the can so I had enough and called 311. Of course a rude lady took my complaint and someone did actually follow up with it the next day and she was nice (actually picked up the trash bag that was left). The trashcan I spent $90 is too big, 96 gallon trashcan from Homedepot, which was a complete surprise to me. She gave me a flier and it states, "No more than 4 (20 gal) OR 2 (32 gal) containers of trash per household." So if you buy a trashcan just be aware that you might not buy the right one

I'm getting really tired of the trash situation here. It's a complete joke as with other aspects of government.

It's funny that the city was thinking about issuing 64 gal cans.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM

22 posts, read 170,838 times
Ugh. This trash situation is ridiculous. And did I miss something, or can anyone tell me why recyclables weren't picked up this past Friday??

Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 AM

I put out my recyclable this past Friday also and I guess since it was Good Friday they decided not to pick them up. So that means only 1 recycling day this month, pathetic.

My friend went to the Parking Authority to get a permit and a note written on a piece of paper on the door said that they were closed. He checked the website and also has friends that are government (fed) employees that had to work. I'm not sure what's going on with Baltimore but it seems messed up.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 AM

The city distributes a "Department of Public Works" calendar to every household usually in December. I actually use mine and have it hanging in the closet where I keep the recycle basket. For Friday, April 10th, it was posted on the calendar that the city is recognizing that day as the Easter holiday and that there would be no city services for trash/recycles. I think that is fair as most employees have a day off for Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore