Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM

37 posts, read 202,285 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into MBA programs in Maryland and so far am trying to decide between Loyola and University of Maryland. I see U. of Maryland ranked in the top 30 nationwide, but how good is Loyola? It seems a whole lot cheaper than U. of Maryland, but does that mean it lacks quality in the curriculum? does it have less career resources available? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 PM

31 posts, read 194,713 times
Default As a rule of thumb...

I would ask why you are getting the MBA. If you already have a job, and getting the MBA is a credential to be internally promoted, my vote would be that it doesn't matter where you do it.

If you are doing it to find different opportunities, go to the best program you can.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 AM

703 posts, read 2,933,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htillberg View Post
I would ask why you are getting the MBA. If you already have a job, and getting the MBA is a credential to be internally promoted, my vote would be that it doesn't matter where you do it.

If you are doing it to find different opportunities, go to the best program you can.

Fully agreed. An MBA degree isn't so much about the concepts and principles that are taught in the program (the subject matters do not really differ depending on where the class is taught, whether it's Harvard or Loyola). The difference between programs lies in the name recognition of the institution and the networking opportunities that are available to the students.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Default Loyola MBA vs. UMD Robert H. Smith MBA

Htillberg and pyschofan - thanks for your honest feedback.

I'm looking to get an MBA as a career changer. I work in IT, but want to eventually have a career in international business and something in the green sector. Now, I do have a job and at the moment my job is not in jeopardy (knock on wood!!!) but I don't want to just stay put in the long term. I want to acquire the knowledge and take advantage of the networking opportunities that would be available in an MBA program.

I've attended information sessions at both schools and have heard from both programs, why theirs is the best. I've even talked to some students, but still wasn't convinced. It's good to hear the blunt truth about this kind of stuff.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 PM

20 posts, read 93,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnacct View Post
Htillberg and pyschofan - thanks for your honest feedback.

I'm looking to get an MBA as a career changer. I work in IT, but want to eventually have a career in international business and something in the green sector. Now, I do have a job and at the moment my job is not in jeopardy (knock on wood!!!) but I don't want to just stay put in the long term. I want to acquire the knowledge and take advantage of the networking opportunities that would be available in an MBA program.

I've attended information sessions at both schools and have heard from both programs, why theirs is the best. I've even talked to some students, but still wasn't convinced. It's good to hear the blunt truth about this kind of stuff.
mna,

you don't happen to be the guest student we had in our international management class Monday night, were you?

I'm in the Loyola program right now, about to finish the MBA up this semester and I'd highly recommend it, especially if your looking for an int'l business concentration. The school was recently ranked in the top of that specialization field.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Loyola MBA vs. UMD Robert H. Smith MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp123 View Post
mna,

you don't happen to be the guest student we had in our international management class Monday night, were you?

I'm in the Loyola program right now, about to finish the MBA up this semester and I'd highly recommend it, especially if your looking for an int'l business concentration. The school was recently ranked in the top of that specialization field.
GP, nope - that was probably someone else.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 PM

757 posts, read 2,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnacct View Post
GP, nope - that was probably someone else.
I'd also look at the Hopkins Carey School. It may not be in the top rankings because it's relatively new, but it's growing rapidly and the Hopkins name is recognized everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore