U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,489,838 times

Advertisements

I left to go to Assateauge Island last Thursday morning. I stopped through Baltimore on my way down, and on my way back up. I got about 6 to 7 hours to tour the city and get photos. I was there twice before. Once as a kid to go to the aquarium, and then once when I lived in Philly and I went to the Harbor. This time I focused on neighborhoods and MT Vernon, and other areas of Baltimore.

I shuffled up the good neighborhoods like federal hill with the ghetto neighborhoods that I was afraid to get out of my car for a few of these.

I left around 2 PM to go to Assateague Island for two nights. I backpacked 5 miles to a campsite that was on a untouched beach with no roads. It was much more peaceful and surreal than staying at a dirty 40 bucks a night Day's Inn with awkward stains everywhere.

I left Assateague Island right after sunrise, and went back through Baltimore for a few more hours before heading back to Pittsburgh to get ready to sit in a cubical for a week.

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 04-27-2009 at 08:06 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,425,331 times
Hey-thanks for sharing that. You captured much of the city-both good and bad. I always love looking at photos of places-capture a 1000 words. Great job and if you visit again, I look forward to more.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,084,221 times
I enjoyed your photos, especially the images of ordinary Baltimore city locations. One gets a real good feel for the city. There's another website (Skyscraper City?) that features mostly the downtown area of Baltimore. What camera and lens did you use?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I enjoyed your photos, especially the images of ordinary Baltimore city locations. One gets a real good feel for the city. There's another website (Skyscraper City?) that features mostly the downtown area of Baltimore. What camera and lens did you use?
I use a Nikon 5700 coolpix. It is about 5 or 6 years old now, and am hoping to atleast get another year and half out of it.

There is skyscrapercity.com, and skyscraperpage.com. I post my photolinks in the photo section of skyscraperpage. Skyscraperpage requires a paid for email address like your service provider to get a account, so there are for less trolls, they moderate it to filter out city bashing and city vs city arguments, and far more city oriented people on that board. It seems to provide a more intelligent urban discussions, that can be hard to achieve on this board.

No offense to citydata.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Two people bothered to appreciate the time it takes to make a photo thread like this. I just don't understand this forum at all. You all bicker about stupid things, compare targets to walmarts, talk about which exurban subdivision is best to live in. When somebody takes an hour to create a photo thread it goes ignored. Sorry for bumping my own thread, as that is lame, but so is this forum.

I see so many people on here that post photos that they arn't even their own, and there is never copy right issues. It takes a long time to create these, and I actually take my own.

This forum doesn't care about anything creative, anything about the inner city, or anything unique. It is all about bickering about stupid crap.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 PM

6,730 posts, read 10,223,042 times

This is an interesting photo just in its simplicity...Here you have a block of homes...maybe in Edmonson Village or someplace. that were very comfortable, yards, fences, porches and probably sought after middle income neighborhood at some point in history when people began to value private greenspace and porches as extensions of their living space and more separation from the street compared to what you have in the older row house communities. You have a vacant building down the block.. a building mid block whose roof is beginning to fail.. and the corner home in the foreground whose porch is collapsing....If this were a novel it would be the preface for a tragedy that is played out on numerous baltimore streets at the peak of a decline..even the street sign in wilting

Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM

805 posts, read 1,894,022 times
When I first looked at your photos I saw mostly burned out buildings which I personally would rather have them demolished then stay up so I didn't really enjoy them.

I do like the architecture of the photos you added (I think because I don't remember seeing them). Mount Vernon has some really interesting buildings. It's really a shame how some of them are neglected.

Your last comment took away the potential of this thread!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM

...similiar story.. these buildings are like tombstones..

Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM

This one gives hope and shows opportunity or could be beginning of decline..... looks like East Baltimore nw of hopkins......Good Photos.. keep em coming

Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,425,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Two people bothered to appreciate the time it takes to make a photo thread like this. I just don't understand this forum at all. You all bicker about stupid things, compare targets to walmarts, talk about which exurban subdivision is best to live in. When somebody takes an hour to create a photo thread it goes ignored. Sorry for bumping my own thread, as that is lame, but so is this forum.

I see so many people on here that post photos that they arn't even their own, and there is never copy right issues. It takes a long time to create these, and I actually take my own.

This forum doesn't care about anything creative, anything about the inner city, or anything unique. It is all about bickering about stupid crap.
In the other sites you mentioned, most people that post are truely concerned about urban issues. This site runs the gamut and is a good source for people with day-to-day questions or other helpful advice. Unfortunately, there are some posters that add baiting to it. The moderators do their best to recognize the trolls and amend it. But, it can become an overwhelming task. Again, I appreciate your time to post and enjoyed the photos. Don't give up the ship. Try to ignore the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore