U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM

1,970 posts, read 5,619,570 times

Advertisements

If I have the correct site in mind, it would be the Northwest Plaza roughly at Northern Parkway and Wabash. Its current main tenant is Kmart (one corner was once upon the time occupied by Blank's fabric store).
That would be a great site, close to Metro and lots of bus lines. I imagine the whole current structure would be torn down.
I am no expert on MTA's express offices, but all of them seem to have closed: Charles Center, Kenilworth Plaza. The shopping center with a huge, growing governmental service component is Reisterstown Road Plaza which has the Bureau of Vital Records on the ground floor plus other social services.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 01:04 PM

5,210 posts, read 7,841,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
If I have the correct site in mind, it would be the Northwest Plaza roughly at Northern Parkway and Wabash. Its current main tenant is Kmart (one corner was once upon the time occupied by Blank's fabric store).
That would be a great site, close to Metro and lots of bus lines. I imagine the whole current structure would be torn down.
I am no expert on MTA's express offices, but all of them seem to have closed: Charles Center, Kenilworth Plaza. The shopping center with a huge, growing governmental service component is Reisterstown Road Plaza which has the Bureau of Vital Records on the ground floor plus other social services.

THAT site would make more sense.. this site is on the corner of Reisterstown Road and Lewiston Road. It is below Northern Parkway@ Reistertown... about a block south of the Walgreens. What intersesting is that the Reisterstown Plaza Station is already owned by the State as is the Parking lot at the Rogers Ave Station.. Wonder why they just didnt build it at one of those locations..unless I guess its cheaper to rent/lease a space...and let someone else handle the construction/renovations

Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 PM

1,970 posts, read 5,619,570 times
Default Need to investigate

I just looked at the map. So it appears to be a parcel next to Hilltop Shopping Center, the one-time magnet for Barry Levinson and the Diner crowd. Anyway, if you walk on Rodgers, that is an easy stroll away from the Rodgers Avenue Metro stop. (Whenever Metroing, I always park there because there is amople parking available very close to the station.)
This whole neighborhood needs help. Perhaps a new office building will generate enough interest so that an economic inkblot effect follows.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
When you hand the robber your wallet, drop it on the ground, making him bend over to pick it up. Then shoot him. Since there is no guarantee that he still won't shoot you even after you surrender your wallet, it is an acceptable strategy in the eyes of the law.

Also, a degree of situational awareness is helpful. If I were packing, I'd be instantly aware of someone approaching me of a suspicious demeanor. Before he even got close enough, I'd have my holster unsnapped and ready.

If you are off in la-la land not paying attention to your surroundings, you probably shouldn't be packing.

I am not up on the gun laws here in MD.. Is it legal to carry a revolver in MD? Does it have to be in plain view or can it be concealed? In either case I am sure you have to be licensed. I was on a jury here once and they took an enormous amount of time explaining the difference between a gun and a fire arm..cant remember which one you would get more time if you got caught using it in a robbery

Old 11-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I just looked at the map. So it appears to be a parcel next to Hilltop Shopping Center, the one-time magnet for Barry Levinson and the Diner crowd. Anyway, if you walk on Rodgers, that is an easy stroll away from the Rodgers Avenue Metro stop. (Whenever Metroing, I always park there because there is amople parking available very close to the station.)
This whole neighborhood needs help. Perhaps a new office building will generate enough interest so that an economic inkblot effect follows.

Thats the spot.. it was referenced by that name in the City Council Bill... I can imagine that it would "boost" the area but it still seems a little inconvenient.... Like your idea of the old Kmart or the Reistertown Plaza stop better...Seems like the Hilltop site may be a parking/traffic nightmare

Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,335 times
just be careful because all races could be potential targets(no pun intended!)

Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM

328 posts, read 1,365,914 times
Just how bad/scary is Mondawmin Mall...??? I'd say on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, I'd give it a 10. In fact, there was just a stabbing a few hours ago DIRECTLY at the Mondawin Mall. Seriously.
Man Stabbed Inside Mondawmin Mall - Baltimore News, Weather, Breaking News | WMAR-TV

Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Yep that was pretty bad.. I havent heard any follow up on this other than..I think some teens or young adults fought/stabbed another teen or young adult.. who went to the hospital and two people are in custody?? Bad? absolutely... I will still shop at the mall.. I imagine some will also.. though this bad press may keep others away. I wonder how this compares to crime at other malls throughout the area. This is the only incident that I have heard about since its redevelopment..unless others were not as news worthy. Arundel Mills was having problems with muggings/attacks as well.. everyone please be careful

Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,062 times
The reason you are hearing the bad side of Mondawmin is due to the back history of it. The mall itself was never bad, it just so happened to be a location for criminals to do their bidding on the people that would go there. In the mid to late 70's yes it was considered "Murder Mall." One of my cousins was murdered there during the christmas shopping season, my fiance was murdered there in the mid 80's. So yes it has had its murders but with the revitalization going on I'm sure they are taking all of that into consideration and trying to change that moniker. But I totally agree with a lot of what has been said, as a woman especially of lighter race (smile) act like you have a purpose and don't dawdle around and try not to work the night shift.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM

3,548 posts, read 6,979,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainWo View Post
The mall itself was never bad, it just so happened to be a location for criminals to do their bidding on the people that would go there.
Forgive me for asking what may be an obvious question, but if the Mall is a place for "criminals to do their bidding on the people that would go there," would that not make the Mall a bad place to be? I don't think anyone is saying the Mall itself is bad--that it is some kind of entity ready to spring to life and kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore