U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 27,495 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in previous threads most people seem to avoid the Mondawmin mall area. I have a question to ask you all and I would appreciate a very honest, unbiased answer. I am a student at UMB from out of state and I have been offered an internship at the Target Pharmacy in Mondawmin mall. I will have to drive (since apparently the Metro/subway is out of the question due to safety issues? Can anyone confirm or deny this) from downtown Baltimore to the Mall. I am not too familiar with the area since I do not drive in the city and don't have a car as of yet. Can anyone tell me just HOW bad is the commute TO and FROM Mondawmin mall and the mall itself???

This place seems to have a bad rap, and to an out-of-stater like myself I would like justification for it. Is it really worth it to take a job at the Target, since I have heard at least there is security in the area????? Not to mention is the commute safe? I am super curious as to why people are so scared to venture to this area, I happen to live on Fayette St near the University which i suppose is a 'nicer' area but it is still downtown Baltimore. Also keep in mind I am a young asian female in her mid 20s, which according to the demographics in Baltimore, may make me stick out a little more. Is it really worth all the hype to avoid this mall, the prospective job, and surrounding area??? Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,269,753 times
I don't get it at all. I go to that Targets and the Shoppers and have used the metro station. I am a middle-aged white guy and never had a problem. When I am in Targets or Shoppers, I see plenty of people who are not African-American working and shopping there. The Metro is not out of the question to get there. The MVA is also there so there are usually people walking about and using the mall/area from around town. I ride my bike in the park near there and never had an issue with that either. I would think that location would be the perfect place to do an internship for someone without a car.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,295,056 times
Default You'll be fine

Just take the Metro there, walk through the Mall.
If in doubt, do a trial run. Just walk like you knew where you are headed and don't want anyone to bother you.
You will be fine.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM

3,439 posts, read 4,484,891 times
I would agree with what has been recommended particuliarly a "dry run" at various hours that mirror your work hours so you can gauge your comfort level. That being said.. the City Leaders and the Mall owners are keenly aware of the image or reputation that the Mall accumulated over the years and are making a valiant effort to change it and its redevelopment is part of that committment. There is an abundance of security, off and on duty police, and MTA Police present and visable.. seemingly more so as a preventive measure and to assure shoppers(per past reputation) as opposed to in a direct response to incidents...I am also certain that the Target Security and or the Off Duty Police under their employ would walk or visually monitor your commute across the parking lot to your car if asked.. however; this is certainly not necessary and if this was the only way you would feel comfortable..then you certainly may want to explore other options/locations for the internships

Good Luck

Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 AM

22 posts, read 93,451 times
I'm a mid-20s white female, and if I were in a similar position as you, I'd work at that Target and take the metro to the Mondawmin station and walk on over. There is plenty of security in that area, police, mall security people, cameras, etc. I'm assuming you'll be working regular (8-5ish) hours, so you'll be traveling during fairly populated travel times, daylight hours, etc. If this is the case, just providing some extra reassurance, everyone made me nervous about going to Mondawmin too and I've never had a problem. Good luck! I love that Target

Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,219,709 times
another "middle-aged white guy" here, and have never felt uncomfortable at Mondawmin--the neighborhood around the Mall has it's share of crime but hey, Baltimore has a crime problem. The mall itself is fine. I would not recommend walking after dark in the area around the mall.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM

107 posts, read 346,527 times
okay well first...I don't know about that Target..albeit new...I went in there on Saturday and I already heard the employees complaining about that store. I was like dang..isn't this store new?...and y'all complaining already. So I thought it was just this one girl there until I heard one of the managers grilling on a guy in another area of the store. My advice is just be careful in taking a position there. Got a bad feeling about it already.

In terms of the area...I don't know sweetie...I haven't lived there in years but I had to drive through there the other day on my way to a community event in the evening and I was glad I was driving. I don't think taking the subway is a good idea unless you KNOW the area very well. I mean I took the bus and subway numerous times when I was young but only because I had no other choice and I was a little naive to crime. Things have certainly changed but not that much. Might not be as bad for a man but as a woman I would not suggest taking the subway by yourself. Hell, I would not ride my bike in that area by myself! LOL!!!

But to each his own...be careful in whatever decision you make...good luck!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,295,056 times
Default Realities of life

I beg to differ. The OP does not need to know the Mondawmin area at all (unless she wants to). Just walk from the Metro station to the store. As to employees grumbling about their jobs, just wait for the crowd of applicants if they cannot take it any more.
I, too, went to the Mondawmin area for a night meeting. Just last month. I was the only white in the room of forty blacks. People were curious but friendy.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM

23 posts, read 65,097 times
I've never had problems around the mall either. Metro is the easiest fa sho. It gets tricky around Penn and North Ave... nite time around Druid Heights, Easterwood, Sandtown down to Lafayette. You'll notice the streets for sure where not to walk after dark... like Pulaski for example. Use the metro...

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-08-2009 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: watch your language please

Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM

107 posts, read 346,527 times
okay...well...maybe things have changed and she does not need to worry about anything...LOL!!!..good luck in your travels...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore