U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2009, 07:18 PM

16 posts, read 21,815 times

Advertisements

I am considering doing an internship at the Maryland School for the Blind from January to April. What can you tell me about the weather, the neighborhood (safety, convenience, etc.), and Baltimore as a whole?

I am from Orlando, Florida but I have always wanted to move up North, so I'm not afraid of snow or ice or anything. I am concerned because I'm a rather small female and I've never lived in a big city like Baltimore.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 PM

134 posts, read 208,980 times
The neighborhoods around MD School for the Blind are nice: Parkville, Carney (Harford Rd area) and Fullerton, Overlea (Belair Rd area.)
Nottingham is actually White Marsh where White Marsh Mall is located - about a 10 min drive from the school. Lots of new homes and condos and townhomes there.
You want to stay away from the apartments right near the Md School for the Blind though (stories show up in the Police Blotter.)
The homes around the school are mostly older homes - lots of elderly owners too, so you might be able to get an apt in a private home for the time you'll be here. (for apts try The Baltimore Sun - www.baltimoresun.com)

Weatherwise, Baltimore hasn't had a really good snow in years - 'course, now I've jinxed it.

Harford Rd, Belair Road (the school is between both main roads) and Taylor Ave (where the school is located) are all cleaned off quickly, and often, in bad weather.
Temps have been in the 20's, 30's and 40's the past winters.

Where the school is located is NOT the big city. It's just over the Baltimore City line in Baltimore County. It's surrounded by homes, shopping centers and there's a cemetary right across the street.

I lived in that neighborhood for a lot of my life. Nice area.

Google Earth the school and you can look at the surrounding area.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 PM

16 posts, read 21,815 times
Thanks so much for all the great info! I really appreciate it!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:41 AM

99 posts, read 209,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyH View Post
Thanks so much for all the great info! I really appreciate it!
It was ridiculous to mke the zip code 21236 Nottingham, it should of been another Perry Hall zip. Nottingham properties had a lot to do wiht it.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 PM

134 posts, read 208,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey jam View Post
It was ridiculous to mke the zip code 21236 Nottingham, it should of been another Perry Hall zip. Nottingham properties had a lot to do wiht it.

True, and I'm surprised they didn't call that new section of rt 43, 'St. John' since Ed St. John ownes most of that land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore