U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2009, 04:58 PM

23 posts, read 41,002 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum. This is the first site I've joined to learn more about the Baltimore area before moving there next year with my husband and two toddlers.

My husband will be working at the Johns Hopkins hospital near Downtown Baltimore, and we are looking for neighborhoods that are safe and kid-friendly. We've heard there are many great neighborhoods, and also many unsafe areas as well.

Can anyone suggest family-friendly, kid-friendly neighborhoods within a 10-mile to 15-mile radius to the hospital (or closer)? Also, are there areas we should avoid all together?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 05:39 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-of-two-tots View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum. This is the first site I've joined to learn more about the Baltimore area before moving there next year with my husband and two toddlers.

My husband will be working at the Johns Hopkins hospital near Downtown Baltimore, and we are looking for neighborhoods that are safe and kid-friendly. We've heard there are many great neighborhoods, and also many unsafe areas as well.

Can anyone suggest family-friendly, kid-friendly neighborhoods within a 10-mile to 15-mile radius to the hospital (or closer)? Also, are there areas we should avoid all together?

Thank you so much!
The sticky at the top lists most of the neighborhoods in the city you may want to consider. In terms of the burbs, for the most part, it will be longer than a fifteen minute commute and there are iffy ones to choose from also. A lot depents on how much you can afford.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM

38 posts, read 120,069 times
Do not move in Baltimore City. You can get much more for money in the burbs. A look at the crime in Balt-no safe neighborhood. You can check the Balt City PD crime maps on line, compare the prop taxes, cost of property, insurance costs (much higher in Balt City), unusable crappy schools. Look north of the city, howard county (somewhat pricey). If you dont mind a longer commute look at southern PA or Harford County.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug1 View Post
Do not move in Baltimore City. You can get much more for money in the burbs. A look at the crime in Balt-no safe neighborhood. You can check the Balt City PD crime maps on line, compare the prop taxes, cost of property, insurance costs (much higher in Balt City), unusable crappy schools. Look north of the city, howard county (somewhat pricey). If you dont mind a longer commute look at southern PA or Harford County.

This goof-ball is telling you to move to Pennsylvania to escape the urban tragedy??? Please.

There are plenty of folks in Baltimore with children who are living their daily lives doing fine. I have learned that this forum may not be the best place for advise. I raised my son here and he thanks me that I gave him the opportunity to live in the city and have all of the experiences he had.

Visit the city, explore it's neighborhoods, and judge for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: