U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 AM
 
328 posts, read 794,790 times
Reputation: 200

Advertisements

I am so excited! I will be visiting Baltimore next month for a couple of days. What is the must "see" or "do" in the downtown area?

Does anyone know what the going rate is for a studio or a efficiency? Utilities? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM
 
775 posts, read 1,540,143 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner35 View Post
I am so excited! I will be visiting Baltimore next month for a couple of days. What is the must "see" or "do" in the downtown area?

Does anyone know what the going rate is for a studio or a efficiency? Utilities? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What you must absolutely do is keep your head down. Don't venture out after dark. Better yet find somewhere else to visit if you have a choice. That's the best advice I can give you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,948,711 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
What you must absolutely do is keep your head down. Don't venture out after dark. Better yet find somewhere else to visit if you have a choice. That's the best advice I can give you.
If that's the best advice you can give, go back undeer the rock you crawled from.

Seriously, this pansy, living in fear BS is getting tiring to hear from people with 2-3 posts, or even a hunderd posts.

I moved to Baltimore from Seattle back in '99. Lived downtown, and still have zero problem walking all over down there, from Canton around through fells point and Little Italy to Federal Hill. From Light street up to Mount Royal. I'll get off the Metro at Lexington market and walk down Howard St. to the stadium for O's games and walk back after dark. Even up on North Ave, I've parked and walked quite a ways to get to Joe Squared pizza. I've parked next to The Helmand Restaurant on Charles and walked down to Sascha's and up to the Brewer's Art. At night.

I'm not a strong man or a tough guy. I'm a middle aged white guy. Yes, there can be tensions around downtown. Promoting them, living in fear of them, and in effect creating them by acting that's all that happens, or are other than than rare, is simply ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
 
167 posts, read 364,823 times
Reputation: 56
Hear hear, Merc63. Downtown is one of the best places to be in the city, in the past and now.

Electricity costs are 11.4 cents per kilowatt-hour from BGE. I don't have access to my bills right now, but from what I remember most of my electric bills range anywhere between $80-$150/month. My mother chose a fixed-rate gas provider who charges us $36/month for service (but we use very little gas).

During the summer peak months, specifically the bills I receive in August & September, my total utility bill usually falls between $200-$300/month. Fortunately, that's as high as it gets. (Caveat: I live in a house elsewhere in the city. Your mileage may vary.)

Many studio apartments begin renting in the $750-$850 range. Try www.forrent.com or www.baltimoresun.com.

Review www.baltimore.org for places to go downtown. I believe there are a few other threads under the "Baltimore" topic talking about where you can go and do things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,919 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If that's the best advice you can give, go back undeer the rock you crawled from.

Seriously, this pansy, living in fear BS is getting tiring to hear from people with 2-3 posts, or even a hunderd posts.

I moved to Baltimore from Seattle back in '99. Lived downtown, and still have zero problem walking all over down there, from Canton around through fells point and Little Italy to Federal Hill. From Light street up to Mount Royal. I'll get off the Metro at Lexington market and walk down Howard St. to the stadium for O's games and walk back after dark. Even up on North Ave, I've parked and walked quite a ways to get to Joe Squared pizza. I've parked next to The Helmand Restaurant on Charles and walked down to Sascha's and up to the Brewer's Art. At night.

I'm not a strong man or a tough guy. I'm a middle aged white guy. Yes, there can be tensions around downtown. Promoting them, living in fear of them, and in effect creating them by acting that's all that happens, or are other than than rare, is simply ridiculous.
Wow! You've taken some real risks wallking around Canton and and Fed Hill. Please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
 
1,653 posts, read 5,158,739 times
Reputation: 1435
I recently visited Baltimore to see my sister who's attending MICA, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. All I ever really heard about Baltimore was bad news mainly dealing with crime, which is unfortunate because I actually found it to be a decent city. My sister lives in Charles Village South, a few blocks from North Ave, and we never had problems walking around. However, I know this isn't the roughest neighborhood Bmore has to offer.

To the OP, and only as someone who's spent about a week in Bmore, I'd definitely recommend checking out Baltimore if you get a chance. Yes, it can be a rough city, but there's a lot of history there and tons of charm if you're able to see it that way. Be smart and stay aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,046,465 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltmer View Post
Wow! You've taken some real risks wallking around Canton and and Fed Hill. Please!

Comprehension Skills 101: Read his post again and then look at a map. Many places mentioned were not in Federal Hill nor Canton. I guess ignorance is bliss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 AM
 
775 posts, read 1,540,143 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Comprehension Skills 101: Read his post again and then look at a map. Many places mentioned were not in Federal Hill nor Canton. I guess ignorance is bliss!
Wow. Such anger must really cloud your vision. Put your map away and calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 AM
 
775 posts, read 1,540,143 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If that's the best advice you can give, go back undeer the rock you crawled from.

Seriously, this pansy, living in fear BS is getting tiring to hear from people with 2-3 posts, or even a hunderd posts.

I moved to Baltimore from Seattle back in '99. Lived downtown, and still have zero problem walking all over down there, from Canton around through fells point and Little Italy to Federal Hill. From Light street up to Mount Royal. I'll get off the Metro at Lexington market and walk down Howard St. to the stadium for O's games and walk back after dark. Even up on North Ave, I've parked and walked quite a ways to get to Joe Squared pizza. I've parked next to The Helmand Restaurant on Charles and walked down to Sascha's and up to the Brewer's Art. At night.

I'm not a strong man or a tough guy. I'm a middle aged white guy. Yes, there can be tensions around downtown. Promoting them, living in fear of them, and in effect creating them by acting that's all that happens, or are other than than rare, is simply ridiculous.
Your level of discourse is distrubing. I'm surprised your post is not deleted. The name calling clearly violates the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Bolton Hill
805 posts, read 1,830,921 times
Reputation: 241
shoo shoo, get back under your rock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top