Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:04 AM

332 posts, read 1,274,848 times

Advertisements

It is funny how everyone talks about gentrification in the city (any city), where are you going to put the people that you move out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM

775 posts, read 1,775,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
edit: You're predictable
likewise

Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I don't think Baltimore is any different from most big cities--there are good areas and there are bad areas.
Exactly.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,433,355 times
Baltimore differs in that the magnitude of the bad areas can and do almost overwhelm the good areas.

I lived in Denver for a period and was given a tour of the city by a life-long resident during my first week. He drove me through a somewhat run-down part of Denver and admitted that the neighborhood was probably the city's most crime and drug-ridden area.

I just started to laugh, and I laughed and laughed. What I saw had nothing to touch on the sheer decay of large stretches of Baltimore.

So, yes, it is misleading to write off Baltimore's bad areas by saying that every city is a mix of good and bad areas. That is true, but only a handful of other cities have such extensive stretches of run-down, drug and crime ridden neighborhoods. But Baltimore's pleasant areas are very pleasant and among the most attractive neighborhoods in the country.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:00 PM

52 posts, read 173,623 times
Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
It is funny how everyone talks about gentrification in the city (any city), where are you going to put the people that you move out?
Gentrification is a natural social process that does not involve forced evictions. I'm not completely familiar with how this works in practice, but I'm sure it involves tax rates and housing prices becoming prohibitively high for lower income residents to come in, and the higher prices probably encourage the existing residents to sell for a profit which makes room for the yuppies.

I don't know where the former residents end up going either. Good question.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM

332 posts, read 1,274,848 times
Typically higher home values allow the homeowners to cash in or the landlords raise rents or switch their properties to condos/etc (ownership properties). These people move to other cities and neighborhoods perhaps not in such a highly concentrated area but either way the receiving town will eventually complain about the drain of resources on lower income people. Sometimes, the government does take over peoples houses thru eminent domain or other ways so that they can transform the city into a more desirable place. I'm definitely not a fan on eminent domain, I know in NJ near the water they took over peoples houses even though the kept up well and you people who had lived in their home 50 years and they were forced to leave but they could not afford to even buy the new condos that they were building.

I prefer incentives for the people to stay, clean-up and take pride in their own neighborhoods.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
likewise
Yawn

Old 10-18-2009, 04:46 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,399,879 times
Whoever found this as a surprise: are you serious?

I take it the OP either isn't well traveled, or isn't well traveled in the Northeast, or Mid-Atlantic, or something, but it is well known that all the significant Mid-Atlantic Cities are chocked full of high-crime ghetto. Washington, Baltimore, Wilmington, Phila, Camden, Trenton, Newark, NYC, and the CT cities all have huge areas previously connected with industry. When industry died out, and got shipped overseas, these areas got really bad. Boston and NYC seem to have bounced back well.

Baltimore has been the worst major city on the east coast for any one of our lifetimes, followed by D.C. and Philly. Baltimore and Detroit have topped the high-crime lists for years in terms of larger cities.

Baltimore will gentrify, though, and slowly, as gas gets more expensive, and the suburbs get worse, people will want urban life once again, they'll buy cheap, fix it up, and sell it for a profit, to yuppies.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,399,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
The inner-ring older suburbs. You'll see them go downhill in the next 10 years.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
The inner-ring older suburbs. You'll see them go downhill in the next 10 years.
Agreed...I think that some of these older suburbs..may be considered less attractive and some have outdated strip malls are being vacated leaving behind empty big boxes. Some of these suburban areas are too close in and older/style to be competative with the new outer suburbs and not close enough to downtown to be considered "trendy" or as transit accessible. Many will be the areas that may experience problems in the near future. Those who are gentrified will likely relocate to these areas because of the lower rents/prices etc. Some suburban counties may have problems dealing with this migration pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore