Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,193 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My landlord now has a property manager to run things for him because he's incompetent. I received a letter from him on Oct 17, 2009 saying that my rent would increase (by a lot) on December 1st. Now I haven't signed another lease since 1999 and I'm wondering if that's legal. I thought a landlord had to wait alteast 60 days to increase rent. I plan on moving anyway but I have to wait at least 30 days to do it, I think? Plus to make matters worse, the ceiling in my back room fell all on my stuff. Do I have all of the info right or am I missing something. I mean, the amount they're increasing to is just crazy for where I live and I've been complaining about repairs for over a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:20 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bey_r View Post
Hi everyone. My landlord now has a property manager to run things for him because he's incompetent. I received a letter from him on Oct 17, 2009 saying that my rent would increase (by a lot) on December 1st. Now I haven't signed another lease since 1999 and I'm wondering if that's legal. I thought a landlord had to wait alteast 60 days to increase rent. I plan on moving anyway but I have to wait at least 30 days to do it, I think? Plus to make matters worse, the ceiling in my back room fell all on my stuff. Do I have all of the info right or am I missing something. I mean, the amount they're increasing to is just crazy for where I live and I've been complaining about repairs for over a year.

I think if you read your old contract, there should be a clause in there he needs to give you 30 days advance if he going to raise the rent. He can charge whatever the heck he wants really unless he is in the rental control area, other than that, you are SOL.

You can however have him reported about the falling ceiling as it considered unsafe. Did you document those? and did you send letter request to fix and pay damages? Make sure everything in writing

good luck

Old 12-02-2009, 01:55 AM

206 posts, read 797,909 times
As an owner of many properties before I would say he's doing the right thing. If you're someone who is late with the rent all the time then you need to go. Cut & Dry. He is using a property manager not because he is incompetent. He just doesn't want the fuss in his life any longer. I hate it when people think that because you have money you owe them something.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,193 times
Quote:
I think if you read your old contract, there should be a clause in there he needs to give you 30 days advance if he going to raise the rent. He can charge whatever the heck he wants really unless he is in the rental control area, other than that, you are SOL.

You can however have him reported about the falling ceiling as it considered unsafe. Did you document those? and did you send letter request to fix and pay damages? Make sure everything in writing

good luck

Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
As an owner of many properties before I would say he's doing the right thing. If you're someone who is late with the rent all the time then you need to go. Cut & Dry. He is using a property manager not because he is incompetent. He just doesn't want the fuss in his life any longer. I hate it when people think that because you have money you owe them something.
Well I'm never late with my rent and I don't know where you got that from. And he is incompetent because he doesn't know what he's doing as far as running a business. Many things could have been easily solved if he learned how to communicate.

Last edited by bey_r; 12-02-2009 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: forgot to respond to other member

Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
I'm confused, you say you haven't signed a lease since 1999- meaning you signed a 10 year lease or you have been living month to month as a tenant?

If you don't have a signed lease, you are SOL and quite frankly incompetent yourself for not having a lease in the first place. Without a lease you have the right to walk away at anytime.

If you're moving anyway, give him notice of such so you protect yourself.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 PM

79 posts, read 228,543 times
bey_r, i get the impression that the owner/property mgr is raising your rent dramatically because it is well under priced when compared with similar apartments in the area. or, they may want to renovate and justify charging more. or, they just want you out. or, they are both incompetent. in any case, best wishes in your new home in 2010!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Do you have a copy of your lease? It will have all the information you need to answer your questions. Most leases either renew themselves (typically annually) or establish a month to month rental after the initial terms expire.

Barring a violation of your lease, you are SOL and need to start looking for somewhere else to live.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
Actually FWIW, it's illegal for your landlord to have a self renewing lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore