Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times

Advertisements

But, due to a quirk in Mayland law Sheila could stay in office! Proud days...

Dixon Could Legally Stay In Office In Spite Of Verdict - WBAL Radio - wbal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 AM

206 posts, read 798,066 times
Ummm. Didn't Marion Barry get caught smoking crack and then get relected?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
I have mixed feelings about this. She was pretty stupid to risk everything for a few lousy gift cards that amounted to about $500. To me, it probably was more carelessness and thoughtlessness than a real criminal streak. I agree with the jurors who said it's more a violation of trust than anything else.

On the other hand, how much of the taxpayers' money was spent on this witch hunt by the state prosecutor over the last 4 years and this is all they could come up with? Aren't there other, more serious crimes to investigate? I'm not excusing the Mayor's behavior, but at the same time was this a good use of time and money to go after her, and that's all they get her on?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I have mixed feelings about this. She was pretty stupid to risk everything for a few lousy gift cards that amounted to about $500. To me, it probably was more carelessness and thoughtlessness than a real criminal streak. I agree with the jurors who said it's more a violation of trust than anything else.

On the other hand, how much of the taxpayers' money was spent on this witch hunt by the state prosecutor over the last 4 years and this is all they could come up with? Aren't there other, more serious crimes to investigate? I'm not excusing the Mayor's behavior, but at the same time was this a good use of time and money to go after her, and that's all they get her on?
You got a good point

Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about this. To me, it probably was more carelessness and thoughtlessness than a real criminal streak.
Not a real criminal streak (whatever that means), but it is a question of venality. One should do the right thing, always.

Quote:
Aren't there other, more serious crimes to investigate?
Try shoplifting a $5 item in a store and see what happens. Where woud you draw the line on theft by government officials? $1,000? $10,000? Below that limit they get a pat on the back and a 'thank you' for not grifting too much? It's a slippery slope.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Not a real criminal streak (whatever that means), but it is a question of venality. One should do the right thing, always.

Try shoplifting a $5 item in a store and see what happens. Where woud you draw the line on theft by government officials? $1,000? $10,000? Below that limit they get a pat on the back and a 'thank you' for not grifting too much? It's a slippery slope.
I don't disagree with you. We should have a zero tolerance for any type of corruption in government. But I'm concerned that this whole investigation came about because State Prosecutor Rohrbaugh just wanted to nail someone, and the bigger the better, and not because there was evidence of wrong doing. It's one thing if you have information indicating that a crime has been committed and then you start an investigation, but to start the investigation first in the hope that you'll find evidence of a crime is something else altogether. It makes me uncomfortable.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
A couple of things: the Special Prosecutor is a legislatively created department. It's sole job is to investigate corruption by public officials, both elected and appointed, and in some cases corruption of employees. The MNCPPC had a couple of employees convicted a few years ago for taking bribes from developers. The Special Prosecutor only intiates investigations upon the receipt of a complaint, he doesn't initiate anything because of "let's investigate the ___________." without a complaint and sworn statement from the complainant.
As far as the Mayor's conviction goes, even with PBJ it's still a conviction until the PBJ is fulfilled. The crime can probably be considered malfeasance in office and would warrant removal from office.

Malfeasance in office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by North Beach Person; 12-02-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A couple of things: the Special Prosecutor is a legislatively created department. It's sole job is to investigate corruption by public officials, both elected and appointed, and in some cases corruption of employees. The MNCPPC had a couple of employees convicted a few years ago for taking bribes from developers. The Special Prosecutor only intiates investigations upon the receipt of a complaint, he doesn't initiate anything because of "let's investigate the ___________." without a complaint and sworn statement from the complainant.
As far as the Mayor's conviction goes, even with PBJ it's still a conviction until the PBJ is fulfilled. The crime can probably considered malfeasance in office and would warrant removal from office.

Malfeasance in office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My understanding was that the investigation of Dixon was picked up by the State Prosecutor when U.S. Attorney Thomas M. DiBiagio, who had been investigating the City Council since 2003, dropped that investigation without bringing any charges. DiBiagio was criticized for being overly aggressive, and some felt he targeted certain individuals for political reasons. And Rohrbaugh has been accused of being obsessed with pursuing the case against Dixon.

Last edited by janetvj; 12-02-2009 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore