Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times

Advertisements

Those who know me are aware of my desire to cruise as often as I can. For that reason, I keep a watchful eye on cruise deals. In the past year, Baltimore has become much more attractive as a cruise port because more lines are sailing out of here. Indeed cruising out of Locust Point provides unbeatable covenience for the local traveler. The possible downsides include pretty lame itineraries, older ships (although I personally like those) and high prices.
Except that during the past month cruise prices have collapsed. I have seen 7-day Caribbean cruises out of Miami advertised for as low as $299 a passenger in an inside. We get email offers every day; Norwegian even called at home to solicit. The lines are desperate.
What's happening is this: The hard economic times have caught up with the cruise industry. Well-to-do seniors still form the largest segment of cruisers but that segment is softening. Lots of people took a serious hit on the stock market. Even more significant is the fact that their discretionary spending has been curtailed because their kids or grandkids are jobless and need financial help. Those who used to cruise twice a year now can afford only a single cruise; those who did it once a year now cannot afford a cruise at all.
The Christmas season poignantly illustrates the fallout. Christmas/New Year cruises ordinarily are among the highest priced cruises, much in demand and sold out early. This year, though you are likely still to be able to get a cabin at a historically low price for the Celebrity Mercury's Dec. 21 sailing out of Baltimore, which includes both Christmas and New Year's. As of today, inside cabins were available for $999 on this 12-day sailing! (OceanView $1389; suite $2849).
2010 is supposed to be a banner year for Baltimore cruising, with a record 92 sailings out of here. Competitively Baltimore is in a good spot because BWI is such a major cut-rate terminal, with Southwest adding more flights. Baltimore is also within a easy driving distance from a motoring catchment area that ranges from Canada to the Midwest.
I see nothing but question marks after 2010. This much I must say: To those who like cruising -- and plenty of folks don't -- a shipboard vacation is the easiest and often cheapest way to go. We last sailed out of Locust Point in August. It was the easiest embarkation ever. We took a cab to the port around 11 a.m. and were eating lunch on board 15 minutes later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
For locals, the higher price of cruising out of Baltimore is often worth it when factoring in the cost of getting to another port such as Miami.

Does Norwegian Cruise Line no longer sail from Baltimore?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Default Norwegian

As far as I know they no longer sail from Baltimore. We have taken Norwegian twice, both times from N.Y. We had a balcony cabin the first time. Because it was winter, we stayed inside and watched Manhattan glide by. I told my wife it was a hotel room view we could not afford (if available).

Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM

69 posts, read 208,897 times
barante, i really enjoyed your write ups on cruising. what else do you have to say re: cruises out of balto.

thanks
jim

Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Default A missed opportunity?

‘Cougar Cruise’ Finds a New Berth - In Transit Blog - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: