Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

Sorry if this has been a recent topic, but I ran a search and didn't find anything.

About 10 years ago, I had the absolute best crabcakes I have ever eaten at a little Italian (I think) place on Old York Rd. I believe the name started with an "L."

Doe's this sound familiar to anyone? I'm hoping against hope that this place is still in business. If not, can any of you suggest your non-Inner Harbor favorite place around town?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,330 times
years ago, Thompson's Sea Girt House, which was on York Road (I think) had some of the best crabcakes anywhere. I don't know if they're still around. Hausners was marvelous, but sadly, it's gone. Also good -- Hasslingers for take-out. I have been away from Baltimore for many years, but still miss the crabcakes. There's just nothing like them anywhere else. Nothing!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 AM

134 posts, read 332,096 times
Baltimore Magazine's current issue lists the best crabcakes in Baltimore

Hamish - the crab fluff recipe that was used by Thompson's Sea Girt House for years, was developed by my grandmother!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times
I know everyone has their favorite, but if you don't mind heading outside Baltimore to the Middle River area, By the Docks on Eastern Ave near Bengies Drive-in has a fantastic crabcake.

By The Docks Restaurant : Seafood : Crab Cakes : Seafood Restaurant : Baltimore (http://www.bythedocks.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Thanks so much for the wonderful responses, everyone.

Seacrets - The link you provided was perfect, and how timely!

Sadly, it seems the place I remember isn't listed anywhere.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,311 times
I've only had Phillips and I thought they were great, I'm abit surprised that Seacrets' list didnt have them on there. I'll use this list when I visit next.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:43 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Bal'mer old timers consider Faidley's in Lexington Market to be the best. Many others are so very close that essentially it's a tie.

Some names that come to mind are:
- Dean's in Hampstead
- Snyder's Willow Grove in Linthicum, practically under the bridge where the Beltway goes over the Patapsco
- G&M, up the street from Snyder's...his are the size of softballs

There are many more, but those are the ones I know personally.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default Baltimore's best crabcake place?

I thought we had an existing thread. If so, I could not find it. (Moderator Mike FBE speaking: I was able to find an old crabcake thread, so I've merged that one into this new one started by Barante.)

Anyway, acting on the recommendation of friends who spent a considerable amount of money and effort years ago to come up with a list of the area's best crabcakes -- based on taste, absence of filler, weight, consistency of meat and value -- we headed for the Baltimore Travel Plaza. Literally in its shadow in a place that it difficult to find, unless you look for a truck wash (!!) at 5400 O'Donnell Street -- visible from I-95 -- is Cornerstone Grille which, our friends say, is as good as their previous favorite, Gunnings.

Calling the place modest is an understatement. It looks like a carryout with four tables. If you make it to the counter without turning back, you will taste cakes so delicious you won't believe. 410-633-0707: Fax 410-633-0993 Here are the map and the menu. Open M-F 8-8; Saturday 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Sundays.
The Cornerstone Grille :: Baltimore

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-14-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 08:13 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,421 times
Although I have not eaten there yet, I've heard that G & M Restaurant and Lounge ranks near the top for crab cakes and crabs.

It's on my to-do list for next summer.

Last edited by Zea mays; 01-04-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default Feeling crabby

G&M has a following, mostly because its crab cakes are huge. But my friend, the crab cake scientist who is a Linthicum resident, says cakes across the street at Olive Grove (?) are about as good.
We have never tried Gunnings. Had cakes recently at Windsor Inn on Windsor Mill Road. The first time they were outstanding. Not so impressive on a second try.
Sip & Bite in Canton used to have pretty good cakes at a very good price. But then they changed the recipe and eliminated horse radish which really gave those cakes a kick.
Kibby's across from St. Agnes Hospital also has good cakes and their shrimp salad is among the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore