U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2007, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,043 times
Thumbs up I love Union Square

West Baltimore includes a lot of area. Some parts are rough but there are many jewels in the area. The self-identified Sowebo (SouthWest Baltimore) area is exciting, growing and full of possibilities. The BioTech Park on West Baltimore St., west of MLK, is one of the newest additions and it is bringing new businesses, restaurants and more. There is all kinds of activity in and around Hollins Market, Pig Town and the new housing development of Camden Crossing.

Personally, I have lived in Union Square for the past 14 years and I love it. The dynamic and active neighborhood association was a big part of why I came here in the first place. Residents are diverse but everyone is excited about finding new ways to improve the community. Among other things, the city just approved over $300,000 for renovation of the park. My house has quadrupled in value since I got here. It may not be for everyone, but I've never regretted my decision to move here.

If you'd like to learn more, visit the Union Square Online website: http://www.union-square.us

I'm the webmaster of the site.

Regards, Chris

Last edited by Chris Everett; 09-02-2007 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: My first post and just getting familiar with the formatting...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 PM

1,944 posts, read 4,128,512 times
Default Hi Chris

Welcome to the board, Chris! We used to live at 31 S. Stricker. Journalist, quilter, killer dog.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,126,327 times
There is north-west and south-west baltimore. They are both west of charles street which defines baltimore's east/west boundary. North avenue defines the north/south boundaries.West baltimore's western boundary is Baltimore County (more or less ). I'd recommend you stay away from anything north of north avenue, although there are some pockets worth looking at. South of north avenue has more choices, some of which you have been given in previous posts. Be careful though. Property values are very volitile now.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Default More oversimplication

Oakback -- Since Mount Washington, Windsor Hills and Park Heights are northwest of North Avenue, they are no good?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Oakback -- Since Mount Washington, Windsor Hills and Park Heights are northwest of North Avenue, they are no good?

As I said, "there are some pockets" worth looking at.

But one of the would not be Park Heights.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Park Heights

Such overgeneralizations are self-defeating. Park Heights above North Avenue contains several wonderful city neighborhoods: Mount Washington, Cheswolde, Glen, Cross Country, Fallstaff.
In fact, this was one area of the city in last Census that showed dynamic growth.
To dismiss such neighborhoods as not worth looking at is ill-informed

Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM

689 posts, read 2,185,637 times
Park Heights right by the race track is a little dicey, but the rest of Park Heights is pretty darn nice.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Such overgeneralizations are self-defeating. Park Heights above North Avenue contains several wonderful city neighborhoods: Mount Washington, Cheswolde, Glen, Cross Country, Fallstaff.
In fact, this was one area of the city in last Census that showed dynamic growth.
To dismiss such neighborhoods as not worth looking at is ill-informed

The area that is considered by many to be "park heights" is an area close to Park Heights Avenue. "Upper Park Heights" is above Northern Parkway, and has been in the process of "gentrification" primarily by the orthodox jewish community. In my opinion, I would stay clear of any area south of northern parkway which is within a few blocks east or west of Park Heights Avenue, unless you are a speculative frontiers man. Baltimore City Cops don't call it the "wild west" for nothing.

I agree that Mt. Wash, Cheswolde and cross country blvd areas are nice. They are also adjacent to the Baltimore County line.Not sure what is meant by "Fallstaff" , ( Arlington, maybe?)but it too is on the north west edge of the city.

Just my opinion. Been in various aspects of the real estate business for almost 30 years in Baltimore City, and most of "park heights" area prospects continue to look poor.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Fallstaff

During anti-Jewish restrictive covenants Fallstaff was built by Joseph Meyerhoff as the Jewish Guilford. Follow Fallstaff Road east of Park Heights. Some other streets worth looking are Westbrook and Labyrinth.
Arlington and West Arlington are bounded by Garrison, Cold Spring, Rogers and Wabash. Nice big frame houses. I think it is basically a nice area, but there are lots or drugs and prostitution not the main drags.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 PM

126 posts, read 318,115 times
My husband and I just bought in Original Northwood (we have yet to move up) which I believe is considered to be in the northeastern part of the city.

My gosh, I need to stop reading all the negativity on this forum about the city and promise myself I will never watch a single episode of The Wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Ditto. Not just a neighborhood here and there either, but block after block, mile after mile of West Baltimore, Northeastern Baltimore, and other sections are riddled with blight, drugs, and pretty serious crime problems.

Not saying it is all bad - not at all - but the (large) parts that are bad are pretty much the worst it can get (in the US).

But the good parts of baltimore are there and are spreading out into the blighted areas and "taking them back" block by block. For West Baltimore this used to mean that west of MLK drive was a no-mans-land battlezone. That is no longer the truth, as solid development has spread into that area for several blocks across that line and is continuing to grow.

Ditto a comment I saw on these boards about Patterson Park - the neighborhoods south and west of the park are completely gentrified, and this has spread several blocks to the east and even to the north. The Park itself (which used to be a drug-soaked strip for prostitutes and junkies) now sees people playing with their kids and walking their dogs - even after dark - with nary a streetwalker in sight.

Baltimore is a big city - 18th largest in the US - with big city problems - and is a poor city - with all the problems associated with that. But it is also very much a city undergoing a stunning re-vitalization. The fastest growing, most affluent parts of the city are the areas nearest the water, while the areas of greatest blight are gradually being abandoned, bricked up, and (eventually) bulldozed and rebuilt / revitalized with planned model developments.

There are literally dozens of examples of this in action, and dozens of such projects currently underway.

Just don't expect *any* neighborhood in Baltimore to be anything like the "perfect" small town you grew up in. If you come here looking for a security blanket you are coming to the wrong place.

Faust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore