Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:13 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I have not been to either the Symphony building (seen it from the outside, though) or the Railroad Express (ditto. But given a choice between the two I would hear music rather than the trains that go underneath the latter at all hours. Also, Symphony has an adjoining parking garage and, I noticed and approved, a generator which would come in handy in any blackout. Also, Symphony is totally modern and is likely to have less street noise.
If that building were to be acceptable and affordable, I would say your life experience would be about night and day between it and your original option in Lexington Market.

And all indications are that the railroad lofts are nice, and that the immediate neighborhood essentially safe, there is the noise to consider, and there is definitely a don't-make-a-wrong-turn-while-walking concern, as there are some pretty sketchy areas right there.

But I think either is a preferable option to Lexington Market, at least for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
If that building were to be acceptable and affordable, I would say your life experience would be about night and day between it and your original option in Lexington Market.

And all indications are that the railroad lofts are nice, and that the immediate neighborhood essentially safe, there is the noise to consider, and there is definitely a don't-make-a-wrong-turn-while-walking concern, as there are some pretty sketchy areas right there.

But I think either is a preferable option to Lexington Market, at least for now.
What is your issue with Lexington Market?? I don't get it. I am through there practically every work day and have never had an issue. Is it because it is mostly black? Please explain.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:26 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
What is your issue with Lexington Market?? I don't get it. I am through there practically every work day and have never had an issue. Is it because it is mostly black? Please explain.
I can assure you, it has nothing to do with it being "mostly black." I would live in Lexington Market way before several other "mostly white" neighborhoods in this city, which I consider much less safe.

I have been around for long enough to know when a neighborhood is simply not someplace I ought to spend a lot of time. I have been approached several times in the area, and simply do not welcome it. That is my prerogative. Of course, I have been approached on my own porch in Bolton Hill on more than one occasion, so, well, maybe it's a Baltimore thing.

It's not "an issue." It is an observation. I generally try to steer clear of most high foot traffic areas (even touristy areas), so maybe that is it.

I'm sure we can all agree that any neighborhood with a high concentration of foot traffic is also one where one might need to be more generally aware of one's surroundings, right?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Thank you. To be honest, I usually feel a bit more comfortable when there is a lot of foot traffic. I know there are some "crazies" around Lexington Market thats for sure. But, I never got a sense of being worried walking around it or in it because there are so many people.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM

79 posts, read 228,471 times
sbmldc: short answer: no to anything on howard street if you are a single female and a newcomer to baltimore. yes to mt vernon, charles village or bolton hill. see a real estate agent for more detailed help.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
I would say if you're looking at Camden Court apartments, then that area is nice; the Atrium Apartments, however, I would not recommend (even though the apartments themselves are nice people who live there are nice). Being a husky 28 year old male, I would have no problem living anywhere in Baltimore, but I have witnessed drug sales and was actually approached to purchase drugs in that area (once about 10 feet away from the Police substation), I also saw someone 'cut' another person on the Lexington Light Rail stop over something extremely petty --- injuries weren't life threatening, but still. I think young 'couples' would do fine in the area or a young man, but a single woman living around Lexington Market, I cannot recommend just yet: give it 2 or 3 years.

One way to have lifted this area 'up', would have been to run a single track light rail branch from the Howard St main-branch to President's St. along Pratt. That would have linked shopping in the Harbor to that of the West side district, but this isn't the thread I suppose.

Good Luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Here is some recent Lexington Market news.

1 Injured In Lexington Market Stabbing - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/22416803/detail.html - broken link)

Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM

95 posts, read 275,036 times
This block or two of Howard St. is up-and-coming, but is surrounded on all sides by a somewhat more rough-and-tumble element. The newly refurbished Hippodrome Theater (live events, not movies) is there, and a few restaurants/bars have sprung up along with the new apartment buildings. The block of Howard between Baltimore and Fayette is safe. Foot traffic is fairly heavy during the day and night, and as a young white woman, I don't feel unsafe here.

BUT, as I said, you're surrounded by areas which, while perfectly safe during the day, do quiet down at night. You'd be several blocks from your likely nightime destinations along the Charles St. corridor -- e.g. restaurants, cafes, theaters, galleries -- and I personally find it a bit creepy, but not outright dangerous, to travel between the Howard St. corridor and the Charles St. corridor late at night.

If you plan to do a lot of walking, you might consider living in an area that is a bit more 'developed'. If you'll drive everywhere anyway, then you're probably fine on Howard.

I lived in Mt. Vernon for 8 years, and absolutely loved it. There's a lot more bustle on the streets at night, because of the proximity of so many popular restaruants, etc. I lived and walked around alone day and night for years with absolutely no problem. There's just more in the neighborhood to sustain you. It'll be a few more years before Howard Street gets there. . .

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
Does anyone know the safety of living at the Atrium apts at 118 North Howard Street in Baltimore? They seem to be close to the Metro and right outside they have the light rail. I went and looked at the apts and they are really nice and clean and spacious but the area seems a little sketchy. I went around 3pm and there were people hanging around all over the place. I mean granted it's right outside the light rail and the bus station I would think that is expected but I just want to make sure that it's a safe place to live as I'm a single female moving to Baltimore from Delaware. I also wondered about the parking outside. They said they have metered parking outside but was considering probably getting the apt parking for $105 a month if the place is not safe.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Bottom line, I don't believe most single women would be comfortable walking alone on any stretch of Howard Street downtown after dark. Yes, the area is undergoing "transition", (it seems like forever now) but it is still not an area that compels much foot traffic after dark. There are still many abandoned buildings and sketchy areas on the West side. Hopefully that will change but in the meantime, consider visiting the city and spending at least a couple of days checking out the areas you are interested in. You will get all kinds of opinions here, those who staunchly defend just about every inch of the city to those who believe anyone is crazy to live in the city. Only you can decide your comfort level and that requires spending a few days walking around and getting a feel for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: