Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times

Advertisements

My friend in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of DC is housebound with sidestreets not plowed. This snowstorm has affected a lot of places-not just Baltimore and it would be small-minded to think that the city is the only place struggling. As witness to my other friend in Laurel who got stuck on her sidestreet after work yesterday and took three hours just to get into her driveway.

Walking today, I saw so many narrow streets in Patterson Park/Butchers Hill somewhat clear. And only, because of the neighbors including myself who got out to help clear them. Congratulations to that city spirit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

167 posts, read 426,494 times
I just walked to and from the local Giant. I stuck to the streets - not many people could shovel their fronts or sides. Lots of side streets were clogged with snow; some fortunate to have parked near the end of blocks generally carved a path from their cars to the intersection. Some, unfortunately, dumped a mountain of snow in the middle of the street making the remainder of the street impassible. (I hope no one needs medical help either today or later this week on such streets.) I don't understand why anyone would do that given that many of the houses in my area have lawns that span 20-40 feet from the sidewalk.

I got what I had to get, including some stuff that could be used to make bread, and slogged my way back home (Did I mention that I live in a steeply-graded valley? Guess where the supermarket was located? Yup, you guessed right).

I was counting on the MTA to make my trip a bit easier; unfortunately, the system can run only 17 bus lines lines today, and I saw why: many two-lane streets were reduced to one lane, while some major thoroughfares (up to three lanes per direction) were reduced to two plowed lanes.

My poor shoulders still hurt two hours after my errand! :-(

I'm taking it easy for the rest of the day.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:28 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default Money talks

A neighbor just rang our bell, asking whether we wanted to join others who have hired a private bobcat conractor to clear our street. I said yes since this seems to be the only way it will be done. (I was remembering the big snow maybe eight years ago, when the city never plowed our street).
This will cost an estimated $50 a family and may have to be repeated. But what the heck, we need to get out of here before Easter. Also, we really need to have street access for emergencies.
So it has come to this. We pay incredibly high taxes, getting very little in return. If we want something, we need to contract essential services out.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:04 PM

239 posts, read 759,516 times
Self Edit: I'm in a bad mood, and removed a comment that didn't add any value.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Baltimore is not the only city taking heat:

Senate President Rips Storm Cleanup Effort

The President of the Maryland Senate has harsh words for snow cleanup efforts in the state's capital.

Sen. Thomas V. Mike Miller said Annapolis is "stuck in a time warp" where they believe the only snow removal method is the sun.
Miller called the state of the city after the weekend's historic storm "a disgrace" and said he worries for "the ordinary Joes" who need to get to work.
"What was good in the 1700s is no longer acceptable in Annapolis," Miller said, but adding he doesn't fault current Mayor Josh Cohen who was elected in November.
Miller said he blames prior administrations for not having the appropriate resources in place.
Annapolis Chief Administrative Officer Doug Smith said city workers are doing "the best job we can" given the record snowfall.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM

http://www.baltimoreguy.com/images/Photographs/5.jpg (broken link)

Enjoy it! It doesn't happen to often.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default Sledding on Federal Hill

What a great picture. I talked to a lady in her 90s who said this is the most snow she has experienced in her lifetime in Baltimore.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM

99 posts, read 328,786 times
Most of the time I see the salt trucks just driving up the main roads and not spreading any salt. Many streets( and I mean the wide streets) in Highlandtown and Canton havent seen any action. Hopefully tomorrow will get more attention.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Baltimore, Philly pass Buffalo in snow ranks
http://feeds.bizjournals.com/~r/bizj...U/daily40.html

Last edited by knoxgarden; 02-14-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Don't post copyrighted material, just provide the link, per TOS

Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM

99 posts, read 328,786 times
As of today I'm giving Baltimore County, the State Highway Admin. and the MD Transportation Authority all "A's" fpr snow removal. The county now has all its streets plowed and clear to travel. One major problem in the city is where to relocate your car from the snow emergency routes. I think the City of Baltimore needs to clear all its parks, school lots, government lots and anyplace that can allow residents to park. Once the streets are free from parked cars then the plows can effectively clear the roads. Baltimore needs mutual assistance from municipalities elsewhere [ that haven't been hit with snow] for snow removal help. Maybe then can create a new State lottery can to pay for all this snow removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore