Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,553,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBreeze108 View Post
It'll be awhile before we live in a post-racial world. I grew up in NYC in the 60-s and 70's and although things were crazy (think Wild Style, Savage Skulls, The South Bronx is burning, Son of Sam, Snake Pliskin, etc.) it seemed like a good mix of people engaged in live and let live....But that is only when compared with what I have experienced since then. Lived in Maine and Colorado: no racial conflicts, because everyone was white. Lived in Tokyo: That is where I realized that racism in the U.S., while definitely not good, was chicken feed compared to the stratified, codified, pecking order racism of Japan (i.e., all "others" strange, but some stranger than others). Whites first, then other Asians, then blacks. Trips to S.E. Asia were stranger. When the Cambodians got resentful of Vietnamese making too much money in Phnom Phenh, they might just kill them. No different from the lynch mobs here, but 70 years later. Lived in Montreal: the French and English might look the same on the outside, but the battle rages on over 200 years after Wolfe took Quebec. Moved to Texas: the gringos and the Mexicans going at it. And then finally, I arrived at the sine qua non of bad race relations, Detroit. After many years and many moves, I feel like the New York of my youth was as good as it got, so far as people of different races and cultures all living in one place and at least getting along. There was a lot of toleration, lets put it that way. I have been looking for a city to live in my whole life where a babel of people live together and thrive in apposition. Myriad languages, cultures, dress, food....The only place where I felt this harmony was Amsterdam, Holland. America is a much more polarized place, and the racial tensions here have always been bad. Detroit shocked me, because it is black vs. white, spy vs. spy, and it goes on for generations. In NYC I had black friends and acquaintances and we all kind of chilled to Sly and the Family Stone and Dostoevsky. The utter destruction of Detroit has paradoxically created an environment where post-racial folks are trying to rebuild from the ashes, but they are definitely in the minority, so to speak. There are small pockets of hope in Detroit, comprised of artists, urban farmers, bikers, musicians, and other dreamers, but the metro area still suffers greatly from decades of continuous poison. My wife and I want to move back east but can't afford NYC, so we were thinking of maybe moving to Baltimore. The few times I visited I have always liked the visuals. Reading this post depressed me, because it sounds like a smaller, more populated version of Detroit. I would live to move on to a future where American cities thrive and there is no hate. I know, a pipe dream, but I still dream. Also, working people have been getting battered by the rich here since the days of Ronald Raygun, and now it's a rout. We don't stick together and counterattack, we're all going to be living in abandoned factories and under highways. Well, I've gone on for long enough. Anyone out there who thinks Baltimore has a chance? Adios vatos,
Cool Breeze

Your first-hand experience is interesting and entertaining to read. I also agree with your analysis of Detroit as I grew up there and share those opinions. Amsterdam? Not so much. I sensed a bit of angst between the Arab minorities and Dutch/Europeans while visiting there. Having a French-Canadian mother allowed me to visit Quebec quite often and although my mother shared stories of economic issues associated with her upbringing in Quebec, she found it rather pleasant. (Hindsite: comparing her later years living in Detroit). I also lived outside of Mazatlan in Jalisco, Mexico and experienced the class issue there much associted with ethnic backgrounds.

Question: With all of that first-hand experience, why would you rely on a web blog to form an opinion about Baltimore? Perhaps more experience in Baltimore would either confirm or negate your present stand.

My opinion? I've traveled a lot. No place is a Garden of Eden. Most places have racial tension/class struggle. Baltimore is not a mini-Detroit. It's walkable. It has many decent neighborhoods. It has retail. It has a very active downtown. Public transit is 100% better. It has the hipsters you referred to of Detroit. It also has very depressing neighborhoods with a long-standing history of poverty that make the worse of Detroit look like a playground. Detroit's hoods are mostly abandoned and now fields. Baltimore's hoods are half-lived in and half-abandoned with lots of cement and brick. The structures are there: barely. With all that, I like it here. But then again, I have realistic expectations given humanity and all of its' flaws.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,701 times
My Amsterdam experiences were several years ago, when there was less of a Muslim imprint. I don't avoid or shrink from human nature and the inevitable conflicts that travel with it. But living in Detroit these past 9 years have put many of my past experiences in a different light, usually a softer and kinder light. Human conflict is endemic, but not every city is the same, even in the U.S. Even within the Rust Belt, Cleveland and Buffalo and Pittsburgh have very different vibes from each other, and from Detroit. I was surprised, reading this forum, to observe that many people sound like forumites in Detroit, where there is a lot of angst and bitterness over black/white racial issues. I have been to Baltimore several times and quite like it; I was taken aback by the some of the comments expressed on the Baltimore forum. But to answer your question, yes, I'll visit Charm City and check it out, make up my own mind. I don't think you can escape, or even want to escape, the hard-bitten aspects of American city life. It's just that in Detroit, the destruction is unrelenting and ubiquitous. As for 'hoods in Baltimore that make Detroit look like a playground.....I was just driving through the east side around Charlevoix and Cadillac the other day, and no one was playing. Berlin looked better in '45. Still searching for true cosmopolitanism and tolerance, though I probably won't ever find it. Ciao.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM

239 posts, read 757,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I will let you read the Wikipedia entry on the Community Reinvestment Act.

I will also let you read the Wikipedia definition of vigilante:

"A vigilante is a private individual who illegally punishes an alleged lawbreaker, or participates in a group which metes out extralegal punishment to an alleged lawbreaker."

I know you think you are being clever but essentially you are showing your ignorance. You are making up things I did not imply for what purpose? Trolling? Baltimore is the only primary city of the five within Megalopolis that hasn't halted its population decline through revitalization and lowered its crime rate in the process.

Not a troll, just overt sarcasm.

A lending practice from the late 70's is totally unrealistic; it's a pipe dream that has no credibility as a solution to the problems facing Baltimore. Act or no act, lending is deregulated now. Ninja loans, while a common practice in the Clinton administration, are a thing of the past. No bank is going to take on the risk of reclaiming entire city blocks w/o significant backing from a developer willing to put up corporate collateral. So, add another layer of complexity to the plan.. unrelated borrowers now not only have to band together for planning, they would need to set up a corporation with liquid assets.

For the second part about vigilantism. You got me, I was using hyperbole.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 13,997 times
Since alot of posters here talked about the inner-city Baltimore youth, (me) . I should at least take up for my peers.

Except I can't. I grew up in Murda Mall, Whitelock City. Thats my "hood" I guess. I seen drug dealing , fights, this **** the orignal poster wants to get away from and a dial basis. I lived in it. It a little crazy that a grown man can't deal with it, but I had to as a child learn not to become part of it and keep a sane head. But the one thing I can admit is ? I have no idea why *****s my age have to act like that. Seriously not a single clue.

For anybody who coming to Baltimore if you send your kids to school, the teachers at Digital Harbor are good.
(I know its random , but I have read this whole thread and people are talking about all type of stuff so why not ?

Just to make it clear, I don't think Baltimore is safe for anyone. The city is majority black, so if anyone should complain about the crime , it should be black people. I was more likely to die in the last past five years than the original poster complaining about people being rude.

The problem with Baltimore isn't simple and we can't expect a person who lived here for five years to give a complete picture.
I don't know too many adults besides the ones in my family, but on behalf of the teenagers. The bad ones minds are really ****ed up, and some of them may never learn that the way they are living is harming society. Some can be saved, but its is starting so early.
Baltimore teens have their problems, but thats teen period. People on here can gloat about their college background and the friendly cities they been to but their kids who go to good high schools in friendly cities are sending naked pictures to each other just like Baltimore kids. If middle class white people are so well education and civilized what is up with your damn children.
/yeah it is mad easy to make generalizations, Makes you mad uh ?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 AM

90 posts, read 245,880 times
Haha wow.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 PM

554 posts, read 605,982 times
Default wow ...

I'm the original poster on this thread. I haven't logged on here in quite some time, and I'm amazed at the discussion that's been generated.

We've been in Houston now for slightly over a year, and I have to say that it's been a very good move for us. Not only is the new job going extremely well for me, but we love the city. I've not had a single negative experience along the lines that I described having in Baltimore. I couldn't imagine living in Baltimore again. And ... seems like it's hotter in Baltimore lately than it's been in Houston. LOL.

Anyway, for those contemplating a move to Baltimore, I would say ... think again, and come on down to Texas. We'd love to have ya !

Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 AM

773 posts, read 2,620,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
seems like it's hotter in Baltimore lately than it's been in Houston.
LOL, that will be the day.

Quote:
Anyway, for those contemplating a move to Baltimore, I would say ... think again, and come on down to Texas.
And have your kids learn Creationism in the public schools? Texas is the last place in America I would want to live.

When is Gov. Perry having his next Come-to-Jesus meeting to pray for rain?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
I'm the original poster on this thread. I haven't logged on here in quite some time, and I'm amazed at the discussion that's been generated.

We've been in Houston now for slightly over a year, and I have to say that it's been a very good move for us. Not only is the new job going extremely well for me, but we love the city. I've not had a single negative experience along the lines that I described having in Baltimore. I couldn't imagine living in Baltimore again. And ... seems like it's hotter in Baltimore lately than it's been in Houston. LOL.

Anyway, for those contemplating a move to Baltimore, I would say ... think again, and come on down to Texas. We'd love to have ya !
Baltimore isn't the right fit for everyone. Neither is Houston. I'm happy you have found your peace and don't want to rain on your parade. But, a move from Baltimore to Houston? No thanks.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,270,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post

And have your kids learn Creationism in the public schools? Texas is the last place in America I would want to live.

When is Gov. Perry having his next Come-to-Jesus meeting to pray for rain?
C'mon. I don't like much about Texas either, but this comment is just plain rude. Good grief.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
C'mon. I don't like much about Texas either, but this comment is just plain rude. Good grief.

His statement isn't rude. It's actually factual. Gov. perry has been hosting these events for awhile now. Nothing wrong with being a Christian and believing in God but let's not forget the separtion of church and state.

Texas governor asks Americans to pray to Jesus | 89.3 KPCC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore