Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 AM

759 posts, read 1,357,037 times

Advertisements

Why am I leaving Baltimore? Huge city taxes:we pay $300/month taxes on an $80,000 home we've owned for 17 years- the house next door is an abandoned, decaying wreck with a collapsed roof, there are 6 empty houses for sale in our block, and yeah, our assessment is supposed to go UP again.

Extremely poor city services: trash p/u cut to 1xweek, phase-out of bulk trash p/u (but the city is always delighted to issue citations for "improper placement" of trash), empires of rats in gutters, alleys and drains, streets in deplorable shape- the main drags in our portion of NE have not been resurfaced since the 1970's; lack of response by police to major issues (more later), astoundingly surly, hostile city employees.

The city schools: probably worst in the nation (but since test scores are always altered to show improvement, it's hard to tell)- we moved our kids to Catholic schools after our first meeting with both their teachers and principal revealed that they could neither spell nor speak in complete sentences, and believed that using "ghetto English" was appropriate for the classroom (then again, it was probably the only type of speech they knew).

The utter corruption of city government:there are literally thousands of examples to choose from, but to cite just a couple of recent instances- does anybody really believe that City Council president Bernard C. "Jack" Young really lives in his sister's empty house in East Balto.? Does anybody think there's nothing unusual about the former mayor having a developer-boyfriend awarded city contracts? Does anybody think it's right that city taxpayers will be paying (convicted embezzler and perjurer) Sheila Dixon a minimum $83,000/year pension in perpetuity?.

Government sinecures: roughly, only 70% of city residents of working age actually hold jobs, of these 1/3 work for the city, state or federal government-this makes them impossible to remove from payrolls even if in jail/prison, regardless of their lack of production or contribution to our economy: example, 40% of city school taxes go to cover "administrative costs" at the North Ave. headquarters.

"Sanctuary city" status: I've worked in the restaurant industry my whole life, and I can assure you that money earned by illegal aliens does not flow back into our city's economy: most have learned that by claiming a dozen dependents they have no withholding and actually get even more money every year at tax time-Baltimore/Maryland does not require dependents to have SS#'s or even live in this country for the claimant to collect a refund-how? fake identification cards are widely available in the city, and employers do not have to check status, in fact are discouraged from doing so, and receive state and city subsidies in the form of payroll tax breaks for employing "undocumented" Hispanic workers-think that money earned in the city stays here? check out all the "se envoy dinero" signs in the Broadway/Eastern Avenue corridors-do you really think Salvadoreans are sending money to Baltimore?

The Crime and Police response: I've lived at three addresses in 20+ years in Baltimore-every one was burgled at least once (at my house in Fell's Point I arrived home from work two days post-robbery to find that the crime lab had broken in to my back bedroom and was dusting the windows for fingerprints), I've had two cars stolen (zero cooperation from the detectives in charge, I eventually tracked cars down myself weeks later at the Rte. 40 lot where they'd been since the second day after theft), a car wrongly impounded by the police following improper assignment of a parking ticket that I still had to pay towing and storage fees to have released, I've been mugged twice at gunpoint, have been jumped and badly beaten by crackheads 1/2 a block from my house ( an officer driving by saw me bleeding, refused to take a report and drove off), threatened with arrest by an officer who showed up at the scene 45 minutes after I did when my wife was assaulted (he was angry that I could have beat him to the scene by walking a block up from our home to check on her), investigated and threatened with insurance fraud by the State Insurance Commission following a rear-ending by an uninsured, unlicensed driver (who was not charged with anything) because the responding officer failed to include witness and passenger names, addresses, descriptions, or even the other vehicle's license plate or registration numbers in the accident report (fortunately, I was able to provide all of these to my lawyer, at not inconsiderable expense to me), I have reported open drug dealing in my neighborhood many times complete with locations and descriptions of the dealers and the police simply do not show up despite repeated calls.

Finally, attitudes and racism: I'm in my late forties, I grew up in East Atlanta, lived for two years in Boston, three in Philadelphia, and am no stranger to inner-city life- I cherish the culture, diversity, access and vibrancy it provides. But I have never seen a native populace with the kind of attitude displayed here: it is all about "I'm gonna get (or take) mines!" No-one wants to work, no-one wants to improve their situation, no-one cares about improving schools, opportunities, jobs, futures, their government or anything but getting something free NOW! I moved here during the beginning of the Schomke administration: his message was always that Baltimore demands and deserves lots mo' money from the State and Fed- the result was that the city's population shrank by 10,000 residents every year he was in office. My neighbors constantly complain about how they haven't had a big "suitcase" for awhile. My not-long-ago stable working class neighborhood is now filled with section 8 housing, mostly non-working poor blacks on waiting lists for section 8 in the county.

Racism is endemic here: the city's population is c.70% black, c.10% Hispanic, c. 20% white, the city's government is overwhelmingly black, the racism is almost entirely black on white. Complain all you want about injustices of the past, but when the population and government are overwhelmingly of one race it is hard to believe that white racism holds much influence here (every single time I was the victim of a crime it was committed by a black person doesn't that make them "hate crimes?"). City contracts are preferentially given to "minority-owned" (minority where?) businesses (or, oddly enough, out-of-state contractors), improvement grants for new businesses are given exclusively to black businesses (how many more fake hair shops are truly needed in the city? how many more fly-by-night cell phone stores? how many more shopfront "urban accessory" stores? how many more nail salons and beauty schools?), any self-ordained black pastor can claim his storefront is a church and not have to pay any taxes, hundreds of unlicensed daycare and "recovery houses" are cottage industries ignored by city officials because the operators are "just trying to get by", city and state social services are provided only to those white people who are already receiving Federal entitlements, city politicians don't even pretend to appeal to the non-black vote anymore, instead they just promise a "better Baltimore" ( read:more free stuff) to their black constituencies, gangs of young black boys/men ride unlicensed, unregistered dirtbikes up and down city streets terrorizing the citizens with total impunity, repeatedly I've been told to empty my water bottle by black bus drivers before boarding, while my fellow passengers snort heroin and pound 40's of Steel Reserve without a word from the front, daily I'm affronted by calls of "Hey, White Boy, what're you lookin' at?", responses from clerks at the local grocery and convenience stores are surly at best or aggressively hostile. I have a year of school left at a mostly black college, training for a second career in this recession: because I'm white, have worked and paid taxes my whole life, am married, have no bastard children, and have never taken a penny from the government, the student assistance office deems me ineligible for any grants, loans or financial aid, despite never having earned more than $30,000/year. I see my black classmates spending their student aid money on clothes, chips, sodas, etc., from the college bookstore. It irks me to know that likely this money will never be paid back, while I struggle to find outdated textbooks I can afford on-line.
I have loved Baltimore, and loved it with a passion. I've voted, served jury duty (21 years straight, and counting!), paid high taxes, belong to two different community associations, been a neighborhood watch commander, campaigned for city and state candidates, worked in the city (still do), supported our local businesses, obeyed the law, and am done with it. The only changes I've witnessed have been considerably for the worse. I don't have another 20+ years of working, waiting and hoping that things will get better here.

Last edited by B.K.; 07-29-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 AM

74 posts, read 116,989 times
Yeah leave then Im black and live in Bmore you dont know what it is coming up here and be black. You got struggle EVERY DAY and someone always in yoru face and in your business. You been where I been? NO I love it when someone speak about something they dont knwo nothing about.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,674 times
Default re: Why I'm Leaving Baltimore

It has been a particularly slow day at work so I took the time to read this ENTIRE thread.

I moved to Baltimore last year after having lived and traveled up and down the East Coast for the last twelve years.

Originally from the area, I grew up in one of the more "conservative" counties outside of the city - therefore, this is my first foray into "city living" in the Baltimore Metropolitan Area.

I agree with almost everything the OP says and having lived and worked here for a few years, I will point out some of my observations as they affirm the OP's comments and some of the replies to the OP's original message.

1. There is, without question, tension between the downtrodden and those of us who get up, go to work and reap the benefits of working for a living. I've seen a "spike" both here and in other cities since the economy plummeted in 2008.

2. There is, again, without question, a sense of entitlement in this city - and I will say, having lived and worked up and down the east coast, that is more noticeable than in other cities. One perfect example is the jaywalking - it's rare that you find an intersection along Charles or St. Paul where the light turns green and you are the driver faced with droves of pedestrians DELIBERATELY crossing the street. When you have the NERVE to keep driving or BOTHER to honk your horn as they are the ones in the wrong, you get cursed at, the middle finger comes up, or in a few of my experiences, they'll beat on your windshield or car hood. Because of the racial makeup of the city, yes...most of these individuals are black. However, when summer is in full bloom, you get it from all races - particularly the idiot tourists down/around the inner harbor area.

3. As for the roads and the traffic signals - they are the worst I've seen anywhere. The upcoming "Grand Prix" seems to be patching up some of the rougher spots around town but overall - especially on Key Highway & Light Street, you feel as though the bottom of your vehicle is about to collapse onto the road. The traffic signals are terribly archaic - there is no rhyme or reason to them. You could sit at a light for 3, 4, 5 minutes and be in a line of 10-12 cars and the light does not change and there is no traffic at the cross street - obviously these are on "timers" and as a relative who grew up here told me, the same timers he experienced driving from his house to high school some 40+ years ago. The worst is when you are unfortunately in North, West, or East Baltimore in a bad neighborhood (case in point - North Ave/Greenmount where TONS of "do nothings" hang out on the corner all day, every day) and are stuck at a light for what seems like an endless amount of time.

4. The ONLY consistently safe and decent neighborhood that has everything you need within walking distance is Inner Harbor East - 24 hour security, Whole Foods, 24 hour CVS, high end liquor store (without the plexiglass wall between you and the cashier), fabulous restaurants, and high end apartments and condominiums. If you're thinking of moving to the city and can afford the rent/mortgage, live there - I wish I could/did.

5. The city IS more personable than it's transient neighbor to the south "DC" but moves at a snail pace - checkout lines, traffic (again), pedestrians on the sidewalk. If you go shopping for anything from groceries to clothes, bring your iPod or a magazine - you'll be in line forever. No one has any sense of urgency or "schedule" - I'd be inclined to use the old "CPT" excuse and go the racial route but it's not a racial issue - it's everyone. If you go out to eat, 9/10 you'll be waiting for that check FOREVER.

6. Speaking of food, the city DOES have a lot to offer - more stable and more "tradition" than again, the more transient DC - great seafood, wonderful "Greek Town", "Little Italy" and other great spots scattered throughout.

Overall, my advice is, if you can afford to live in Baltimore, get close to the water. Don't take public/mass transit (I attempted the "Circulator" this winter and basically us "working folk" had to share it with homeless (all races) who were drunk, belligerent homeless men who smelled and had trash mouth comments every time someone boarded the vehicle. DO NOT veer too far east or west of Charles Street/St. Paul Street on foot - the "do nothings" are constantly on their stoops or cruising by east to west or vice versa in droves with windows down, foul mouths and loud music. The police are corrupt and as one comment stated, out for "important things" like parking tickets and speeding tickets all the while ignoring the fact that there are multiple shootings and homicides every day here. You thought "The Wire" and "Homicide" were fiction - live here and you'll realize they are all too true...

Old 08-15-2011, 02:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingcup View Post
It has been a particularly slow day at work so I took the time to read this ENTIRE thread.

I moved to Baltimore last year after having lived and traveled up and down the East Coast for the last twelve years.

Originally from the area, I grew up in one of the more "conservative" counties outside of the city - therefore, this is my first foray into "city living" in the Baltimore Metropolitan Area.

I agree with almost everything the OP says and having lived and worked here for a few years, I will point out some of my observations as they affirm the OP's comments and some of the replies to the OP's original message.

1. There is, without question, tension between the downtrodden and those of us who get up, go to work and reap the benefits of working for a living. I've seen a "spike" both here and in other cities since the economy plummeted in 2008.

2. There is, again, without question, a sense of entitlement in this city - and I will say, having lived and worked up and down the east coast, that is more noticeable than in other cities. One perfect example is the jaywalking - it's rare that you find an intersection along Charles or St. Paul where the light turns green and you are the driver faced with droves of pedestrians DELIBERATELY crossing the street. When you have the NERVE to keep driving or BOTHER to honk your horn as they are the ones in the wrong, you get cursed at, the middle finger comes up, or in a few of my experiences, they'll beat on your windshield or car hood. Because of the racial makeup of the city, yes...most of these individuals are black. However, when summer is in full bloom, you get it from all races - particularly the idiot tourists down/around the inner harbor area.

3. As for the roads and the traffic signals - they are the worst I've seen anywhere. The upcoming "Grand Prix" seems to be patching up some of the rougher spots around town but overall - especially on Key Highway & Light Street, you feel as though the bottom of your vehicle is about to collapse onto the road. The traffic signals are terribly archaic - there is no rhyme or reason to them. You could sit at a light for 3, 4, 5 minutes and be in a line of 10-12 cars and the light does not change and there is no traffic at the cross street - obviously these are on "timers" and as a relative who grew up here told me, the same timers he experienced driving from his house to high school some 40+ years ago. The worst is when you are unfortunately in North, West, or East Baltimore in a bad neighborhood (case in point - North Ave/Greenmount where TONS of "do nothings" hang out on the corner all day, every day) and are stuck at a light for what seems like an endless amount of time.

4. The ONLY consistently safe and decent neighborhood that has everything you need within walking distance is Inner Harbor East - 24 hour security, Whole Foods, 24 hour CVS, high end liquor store (without the plexiglass wall between you and the cashier), fabulous restaurants, and high end apartments and condominiums. If you're thinking of moving to the city and can afford the rent/mortgage, live there - I wish I could/did.

5. The city IS more personable than it's transient neighbor to the south "DC" but moves at a snail pace - checkout lines, traffic (again), pedestrians on the sidewalk. If you go shopping for anything from groceries to clothes, bring your iPod or a magazine - you'll be in line forever. No one has any sense of urgency or "schedule" - I'd be inclined to use the old "CPT" excuse and go the racial route but it's not a racial issue - it's everyone. If you go out to eat, 9/10 you'll be waiting for that check FOREVER.

6. Speaking of food, the city DOES have a lot to offer - more stable and more "tradition" than again, the more transient DC - great seafood, wonderful "Greek Town", "Little Italy" and other great spots scattered throughout.

Overall, my advice is, if you can afford to live in Baltimore, get close to the water. Don't take public/mass transit (I attempted the "Circulator" this winter and basically us "working folk" had to share it with homeless (all races) who were drunk, belligerent homeless men who smelled and had trash mouth comments every time someone boarded the vehicle. DO NOT veer too far east or west of Charles Street/St. Paul Street on foot - the "do nothings" are constantly on their stoops or cruising by east to west or vice versa in droves with windows down, foul mouths and loud music. The police are corrupt and as one comment stated, out for "important things" like parking tickets and speeding tickets all the while ignoring the fact that there are multiple shootings and homicides every day here. You thought "The Wire" and "Homicide" were fiction - live here and you'll realize they are all too true...
Some of your points are valid. Others are questionable.
1. In terms of the circulator, I love it! I've never had a negative experience using it which I do daily. Yes, some of the folks using it may be a bit "odorous" but I remember that smell from other times I've used mass transit in other cities. The T in Boston used to have a few riders with odor issues. Nothing new there.
2. Inner Harbor East??? Well, ain't you high-falooting! Yep, it's a good area. But, I prefer other neighborhoods with more character. I get everything I need living near Inner Harbor East. And Whole Foods?? Yes, I've shopped there on occasion. Personally, I think their prices are high and prefer other grocery chains, markets, or farmers markets. Given a choice, I would much prefer to live in Federal Hill than Inner Harbor East if you want to go costly.
3. The whole jaywalking thing is amazing to me and yes, I am also guilty of it. I rarely use my car around town and when in a hurry-there I go-right in front of ya! For an experience, go to Portland, Maine and try outrunning a jaywalker. You see, whenever a pedestrian enters that street, the auto must stop, regardless of light, etc. But yeah, people jaywalk. I guess it doesn't bother me because I'm not in the car 24/7.
4. There's tension between the haves and have-nots everywhere. I guess in Baltimore it may be more "in your face". This issue scares the hell out of me. I don't think it's going away anytime soon.
5. If I want "The Wire", I can go be a tourist in the hood. I live in the city and rarely come across a dock-worker selling drugs, the gangstas on the corner, or the other stories portrayed in the series.
6. You spend to much time in the car, dude.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandre View Post
Yeah leave then Im black and live in Bmore you dont know what it is coming up here and be black. You got struggle EVERY DAY and someone always in yoru face and in your business. You been where I been? NO I love it when someone speak about something they dont knwo nothing about.
I disagree.

I'm black also, so I know what it is like growing up in Baltimore, personally I feel race does not effect how much a person struggles.

*so we will disagree, but hey that's america for ya.

No one "GOT TO STRUGGLE," in my opinion some people seem to CHOOSE TO STRUGGLE everyday.
Everyone is ultimately responsible for the choices they make.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 AM

8 posts, read 18,895 times
I am a newbie, this is my second or third post. However, after I read the first paragraph of the OP post, I saw where it was reeked with BETTER THAN THOU!

Maybe it is good you are leaving Baltimore..

Just my opinion...

ceh

Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 AM

8 posts, read 18,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I disagree.

I'm black also, so I know what it is like growing up in Baltimore, personally I feel race does not effect how much a person struggles.

*so we will disagree, but hey that's america for ya.

No one "GOT TO STRUGGLE," in my opinion some people seem to CHOOSE TO STRUGGLE everyday.
Everyone is ultimately responsible for the choices they make.
Not to take sides in this debate, but I am 70 years old. Been in Baltimore ALL my life. I recall when I couldn't go in the Hippidrome or Town theaters. Also, my mother couldn't try on clothes or sit at the counter in the downtown eating places. I recall when there were no black fireman and very few policemen.

Things have changed, a lot, sure some still exist, but this town has change a WHOLE LOT from what it was.

I recall the system of blockbusting, whereas, real estate wouldn't sell to certain races.. Again, I will say, this town has changed a lot, and for the good. Nothing is perfect. Our form of government, which is not perfect, IMO, is the best out there. It has a way of RIGHTING ITSELF. May take some time, such as Civil Rights, Voting Rights, etc, but it rights itself.

We have to bear along with it.

ceh

Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluelandrover View Post
it seems like the big problem is class more than race. Like nanlev said earlier some of thes same problems exists in poor white areas. To me it doesn't seem as prevalent but i know class has a lot to do with how people behave.
Being that i work in baltimore i find myself turning down invites to happy hours or certain restaurants because i don't want to be in or near the hood at night.

Fairfaxian areas like the far out burbs in va won't present them selves as an issue until you go shopping and notice the toy cop following you around. Or your child going to school and all of a sudden you child is "special ed" when they weren't before, as far as interracial dating i don't know or care but i'm willing to bet the couples are black man-white women. Kumbaya.
Anyhow,i really don't see the so-called "millitants" in action. They must be at jasper's during happy hour! Lol.
+1

Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
Black folks don't own and operate nothing in Baltimore. They don't have any power to inflict any racist agendas, maybe bigoted, but not racist (there is a difference).

Old 12-06-2013, 06:10 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
If Blacks are overwhelming the population in the city, they should have the overwhelmingly percentage of the contracts in the city!!!

White men run everything in this town, even the negro population!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore