Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 15,049 times

Advertisements

As a relatively new resident to Maryland, I am not clear on what drives the home prices in Federal Hill to be 30-40% higher than similar properties with the same amenities/features in Canton and Fells Point. Rental prices seem to be the same in all 3 neighborhoods, but the property prices are completely different.

Here's the reasoning I've read/heard about the price justification in Fed Hill:
  1. Less crime in Federal Hill: A crime map from Baltimore Police Dept (http://maps.baltimorepolice.org/bpdmaps/police_new.htm) indicates the contrary. All 3 areas have about the same amount of crime (burglary,etc.)
  2. Fed Hill has better parking: Not sure about this, but I suspect being around a park in any neighborhood would help ease the traffic problem, so if i purchase near a park, wouldnt this issue be mute?
  3. Fed Hill has better bars/more mature crowd: Again, this is just a few opinions I've gotten, but I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on this.
Hopefully someone can shed some light why Federal Hill prices are so much higher. I dont see anything that justifies a $240k Canton (or Butchers Hill) house costing $300k+ in Federal Hill.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM

1,759 posts, read 5,117,466 times
In Baltimore as with most cities, home prices are largely driven by perception.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,558,019 times
There's probably a little less crime in Federal Hill since its a bit better insulated from the bad neighborhoods than Canton or Fells Point, but its not a huge difference. Parking is a little better as well, depends on exactly where you are looking. Not a huge difference most likely and I'd highly recommend looking for a place that has at least one parking spot regardless of the neighborhood. Its definately not a more mature crowd, whether the bars are better or not is up to you. It is closer to the stadiums if you go to a lot of O's or Ravens games.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM

866 posts, read 2,616,910 times
Two factors likely drive prices a little higher in Federal Hill vs. other neighborhoods: location and geography.

It's located very close to the inner harbor and downtown. Many people who live in Federal Hill can walk or bike to their jobs downtown.

In terms of geography, land is more limited in Federal Hill because of its position on the South Baltimore peninsula. Any time you have limited supply, prices increase. This is why cities like New York (Manhattan), San Francisco, and Boston that are located on islands or peninsulas are more expensive than, say, Chicago or Houston, which have more room to spread out. Similarly, Canton is more spread out and is continuing to spread eastward into Highlandtown.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 AM

Default thank you

Thanks for all your input. I've been looking at houses in Canton and aside from safety (huge item), Canton's prices seem more reasonable.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-05-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: No links to MLS, per TOS

Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM

1,759 posts, read 5,117,466 times
I still don't understand how people can justify paying 7 grand in taxes. That's slightly less a month than my entire mortgage payment in Canton.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM

A mortgage payment slightly higher than $583/month for a $300k property? $7k in taxes is usually for a $300k house.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonk View Post
Thanks for all your input. I've been looking at houses in Canton and aside from safety (huge item), Canton's prices seem more reasonable.

There is really very little difference in the crime situation in Canton vs. Federal Hill. Patterson Park may have a bit more of a problem with it but I have been in the area for four years without issue. And, personally, I think you get more home for the price. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: