Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:49 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,497,220 times

Advertisements

born and raised in and around B-more--not it's biggest fan of this city but do appreciate the uniqueness of it. That said, I honestly don't think you will find any place to live near the city where you would want to be on that income; unless you are selling your home and have a lot of equity or other income. You won't find a decent neighborhood with homes until $200,000 at a Minimum. Rents aren't cheap either and if you have read B-more posts you know about utility bills here--they are through the roof. Taxes are high, it's just very expensive to live here compared to most areas in the South. That said, if you have other income or money is not an issue, give it a shot. The city has its problems but is not as bad as many posters would have you believe. I personally wouldn't choose to live in town anymore but if you are a city dweller, its not a terrible place and does have a quirkey charm. best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,465 times
Than you for all the replies and advice. I think I will have to drive up and have a look around. Culturally, Baltimore sounds like a very nice place. Sounds like cost of living is the big problem. Maybe I should try holding out for more money….. Thanks again to all.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times
personally ive lived in baltimore all my life. im 20. i wouldnt do it. 21,000 will not help you at all no offense, especially with a wife. at night the scene of the streets are like you can sense crime. the ppl are funny and crazy things that are too talk about go on but other than that based upon the income stated you wont live comfortable. any questions ask me.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 PM

76 posts, read 241,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_war_sailor View Post
Ahoy,
I now live in South Carolina. I have been offered my "dream job" in Baltimore. It doesn't pay well (21,000) a year. I am not liking what I am seeing here on forum. Tough call on this one. I have wanted this type of work for a very long time (reading my screen name should give a hint to the type of job it is) All I know of Baltimore is its history and what is posted here. I would like to hear from people. I don't want to uproot my whole life and find out I hate the place. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to turn down this job based on incomplete information. Thanks.
I really don't think you're going to last long there.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 AM

775 posts, read 1,775,528 times
There's only one thing worse that living in Bmore and that's living in Bmore broke.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times
amen to that.

p.s. speakin from experince

Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 PM

17 posts, read 60,679 times
$21 K you will not survive on that salary with having to pay rent. If your wife brings in income maybe. If you work in Bmore city, might as well live there. Rents arent better in the county. What part of Baltimore, county or city is the job ? Baltimore has lots of good points, it is just the crime problem and the lack of properly addressing it.

Good points is spring time, Fall, change of seasons, festivals, Orioles baseball, Ravens foot ball parties, quirky Baltimoreizms, like Hons, and our accent. Good seafood, there are freindly people here. Baltimore city Harbor area is alot of fun and will keep you busy exploring for a long time.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 AM

9 posts, read 20,249 times
I think you'd be just fine, if you are working for the US Military. however you can get more money if you have a master degree, the pay they start you with is more.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,440,284 times
It would depend how long you want to do your "dream" job and if there any future pay increases in store (and also whether your wife would work). I definitely suggest checking out the area first before you commit to anything.

I wish I knew what my dream job was. If I could figure it out, I'd do it for 21k and parlay it into something else that pays more within a few years.

How do I feel about Baltimore? Not the best place, not the worst. I can love it and hate it in the same hour, depending on the day.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM

805 posts, read 2,105,212 times
Quote:
I wish I knew what my dream job was.
same here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: