Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 23,947 times

Advertisements

Sorry about this being one of those "I'm thinking of moving to _____ threads," but I've had difficulty finding information on the northeast corner of Reservoir Hill.

So I'm thinking of moving into the 2300 block of Mt. Royal Terrace. Drove by on a morning, parked a couple blocks south, and walked up the street. Only saw a couple women going to work.

Drove by again last night around 10:00pm. Only a teenage couple talking outside, but didn't see anything else going on. They cleared out after about five minutes, anyway. The street was fairly well lit.

Cars on the street look to be standard commuter cars, some higher end models, and didn't notice any broken down/rotting cars.

I know there are some vacant homes on the street, though not as much as the interior of Reservoir Hill. There does seem to be some home owners and well kept places. The street and sidewalk could use a good sweep to clear some trash, though.

I know about the projects to the south, and about some of the dealing that goes on in that area. Also familiar with Bolton Hill, directly to the south.

Have checked Spotcrime; what I see doesn't surprise me or really scare me considering this is city living.

But again, haven't heard much about this northeast corner of Reservoir Hill.

The area is fairly easy to get in and out of, I don't plan on walking anywhere for groceries, and I'll basically be inside sleeping/working or in my car driving to work outside the city.

Basically, I'm looking for an inexpensive, quiet (as in no rowdiness/crime) place to crash and work.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default My take

If the price/rent is right, go for it. Once the economic situation turns around, this will again be a very desirable area.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM

That's also what I'm thinking.

Do you live in the area?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default Reservoir Hill

I don't live there but am very familiar with it. My only question about those houses: How noisy are they since they more or less abut JFX?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 AM

It is fairly noisy, but I think the price is right, considering.

Thanks for your input

Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
We have some very, very good friends who live in Reservoir Hill, on both Mount Royal and Reservoir Street, and they have been in the neighborhood for decades.

There is a tight-knit neighborhood group that is active in the neighborhood and which provides a real sense of community and camaraderie.

While other parts of Reservoir Hill have their problems, that particular niche of the neighborhood is solid with minimal crime problems, mostly restricted to the odd break-ins.

I would not have personal problems living along Mount Royal Terrace.

But I wouldn't hope for a quick gentrification even when the economy rebounds. While Reservoir Hill is leagues better than it was even a decade ago, becoming the next Bolton Hill is a promise has consistently eluded Reservoir Hill for more than a few decades now.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the input Tallybalt.

I'm not expecting it to become Bolton Hill--just looking for a home for the next 2-3 years.

I think my expectations are realistic, but I want to be reassured (as far as that's possible) that I won't encounter serious issues.

But, like I said before, I know it's city living...

Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM

206 posts, read 472,452 times
It looks like you've got a decent handle on the northeast corner. It doesn't really suffer the drug dealing impacts like the center, and it isn't on a simple loop for buyers to get in and out. Instead you get some speeders turning off Druid Park Lake Drive since there's no true ramp to I-83. There is always background noise from the freeway but it's not bad.

Being active in the neighborhood I can't recall anyone from that block of Mount Royal and only one from upper Park doing much. And it's never been viewed as a problem area to the rest of us. It's something of a forgotten corner of the neighborhood ... which may be all you're looking for.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
There is an annual home tour/wine bar associated with that particular part of Reservoir Hill held every year in the summer. A good time.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 PM

@remstone: Thank you for taking the time to write that post. It's good to hear that my impressions are fairly accurate.

@jonjj: Yeah, I've seen info about that online. Sounds like fun.

And more general info. for anyone reading this in the future: the house at the corner of Druid Park Lake Drive and Mount Royal Terrace is recently abandoned. A resident told me that there have been a couple car break-ins up there, so it's best to park further south where people actually live.

The building on the northern corner of Whitelock St. and Mount Royal Terrace (2300 block) has "For Rent" signs, but also looks abandoned. Don't know that for sure. Most other buildings, save maybe one, are occupied on the 2300 block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: