Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,749 times

Advertisements

It there a bus or shuttle service from the Baltimore Amtrak / Marc station to Owing Mills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default The answer is no

The best way would be taking the Metro, which runs to Owings Mills. But it is not within walking distance of the Penn station. What you do after you get to Owings Mills is another problem. So this solution might or might not work for you.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:08 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
light rail to metro from penn to o. mills

Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 AM

Is there a metro station near the Camden Yards Marc station?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:34 AM

415 posts, read 1,960,448 times
Sort of. The Charles Center station at 102 E Lombard St is the closest. If you're still going to Penn Station though, you could take the light rail down to Lexington Market, then transfer over to the subway as an alternative.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,725 times
I see many people walk from Penn Station to the Metro Subway, as part of their commute everyday. If you're not elderly, then you can walk from State Center to Penn Station. The neighborhood is completely safe (I've walked through there after midnight without incident). Many times after work, I make that walk to get the subway to Shot Tower and walk to Whole Foods.
And the walk, depending on how fast you move and shortcuts you take, could be completed in 10-12 mins.

The Camden Yards train is slower than the Penn. If you're commuting to Owings Mills, I would recommend taking one of the Penn Line express trains. The 5:10P train that leaves Washington gets to Baltimore @ 5:55P -- excluding the Acela, you can't get from DC to Baltimore any faster than that.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:54 AM

So it appears that I can walk from the Penn Station to the Metro Subway in about 10 minutes, and it is a safe walk. I am quite fit so this will work for me. Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 PM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Does anyone know why there is a spur from the the Light Rail (north bound) into Penn Station but not south bound?? I mean it stands to reason that for a couple of mill they could build a spur to expand the interlock at Mt Royal so trains traveling south from Hunt Valley could divert into Penn. There is a growing population north of baltimore that use the light rail to get to Penn only to either have to change trains or walk several blocks from Mt Royal over to Penn. A Hunt Valley to Penn Station Train would add some additional frequency of train service north of town. The current Camden Penn Shuttle could either remain or become a Penn-BWI run. I am not saying get rid of the current BWI to Hunt Valley/Timonium trains but during am and pm rush a couple could dead end or orginate at Penn and run north and the other south It just seems kind of silly to make people walk.. though not bad exercise ....between mt royal and Penn. That direct connection alone may add several hundred riders to the system

Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM

152 posts, read 487,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Does anyone know why there is a spur from the the Light Rail (north bound) into Penn Station but not south bound?? I mean it stands to reason that for a couple of mill they could build a spur to expand the interlock at Mt Royal so trains traveling south from Hunt Valley could divert into Penn.
"Reason" is not in the vocabulary of those who plan Baltimore's transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore