Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 AM

23 posts, read 64,039 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about the different suburbs of Baltimore, and I am now researching Owings Mills. I was recently on Facebook and found a page with over 3,500 members showing that "Owings Mills mall is dead" complete with strange ghost-town-like photos of the mall during shopping hours (posted by numerous people). What happened to this mall? Doesn't the subway or train run through this area? Why did many of the stores close down? I would think that in a typical suburb, a mall would normally be busy on a daily basis.

Anyway, I'm mainly looking at Owings Mills due to the public transportation option to Baltimore City, particularly Johns Hopkins hospital off of North Wolfe Streeet. However, if this suburb is not worth checking out due to whatever reason, please let me know. My husband only has a few days off from work, and since we are flying in from California, we need to narrow down our choices to one or two suburbs surrounding Baltimore. (We have two pre-school aged children, so we're looking for a family-friendly place with lots of parks/playgrounds, health food stores, target/wal-mart, etc.)

My husband will probably drive most of the time (although I hear parking is horrible at the hospital, and very expensive... does anyone know how expensive?) This may be a deciding factor whether he will use public transportation vs. driving his car.

Sorry this is so long. Just getting stressed out b/c we're moving this summer. I'd love to hear input from the locals, especially if you work at Hopkins or live in Owings Mills.

Thanks so much!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
The light rail also runs out to some burbs. Take a look at the MTA Maryland website for maps, etc. Your husband could transfer from the light rail to the subway downtown to get to Hopkins. Many of my neighbors work at Hopkins and usually walk it or take their shuttle due to costs, etc.
Has your husband contacted Hopkins about some ideas? They are pretty helpful.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
The mall is dead, has been dying almost since the day it was built. Other than the remaining anchor stores (Macy's, JC Penney) the other retailers have folded up shop and left. The mall was poorly planned from day one, originally designed as a "high end" Mall with stores such as Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, Banana Republic, etc., the mall did not attract it's targeted market and most of the higher end stores left within the first 2 years that the mall opened. Since then it has seen more low end stores come in to fill the space and those too have suffered. The up side is, if you need to go to Macy's, it's close by and virtually empty! No lines at the cashier. It's a big problem for the area, not sure anyone knows what to do with the space. That said, Owings Mills is fine otherwise as far as suburbs go. My biggest complaint about Owings Mills is the lack of good restaurants (mostly standard chain restaurants with the exception of a few great spots like the Flying Avacado, Mr. Chelsea's Barbacue (the best I've had in the state!, Reter's seafood), and a few others. The plusses of Owings Mills are, the subway gets you downtown in 20 minutes, great parks (soldier's delight), green space (hiking, biking, etc), close proximity to Pikesville's more diverse shopping and restaurants, diverse neighborhoods and low crime. As far as commuting from Hopkins to Owings Mills, consider the subway or car pooling--there are plenty of folks in OM who work at Hopkins. Being a "suburb" you will have no trouble finding the big box stores (Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.) good luck.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
The mall is dead, has been dying almost since the day it was built. Other than the remaining anchor stores (Macy's, JC Penney) the other retailers have folded up shop and left. The mall was poorly planned from day one, originally designed as a "high end" Mall with stores such as Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, Banana Republic, etc., the mall did not attract it's targeted market and most of the higher end stores left within the first 2 years that the mall opened. Since then it has seen more low end stores come in to fill the space and those too have suffered. The up side is, if you need to go to Macy's, it's close by and virtually empty! No lines at the cashier. It's a big problem for the area, not sure anyone knows what to do with the space. That said, Owings Mills is fine otherwise as far as suburbs go. My biggest complaint about Owings Mills is the lack of good restaurants (mostly standard chain restaurants with the exception of a few great spots like the Flying Avacado, Mr. Chelsea's Barbacue (the best I've had in the state!, Reter's seafood), and a few others. The plusses of Owings Mills are, the subway gets you downtown in 20 minutes, great parks (soldier's delight), green space (hiking, biking, etc), close proximity to Pikesville's more diverse shopping and restaurants, diverse neighborhoods and low crime. As far as commuting from Hopkins to Owings Mills, consider the subway or car pooling--there are plenty of folks in OM who work at Hopkins. Being a "suburb" you will have no trouble finding the big box stores (Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.) good luck.
What are the good restaurants in Pikesville? I live there now but haven't really ventured around too much.

As for Owings Mills, it is somewhat strange to me that the mall area is so dead. There are tons of stores along Reisterstown Rd. (which are always crowded), but I guess people just stay in that area for their shopping and don't feel like going over to the mall.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 AM

757 posts, read 2,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-of-two-tots View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about the different suburbs of Baltimore, and I am now researching Owings Mills. I was recently on Facebook and found a page with over 3,500 members showing that "Owings Mills mall is dead" complete with strange ghost-town-like photos of the mall during shopping hours (posted by numerous people). What happened to this mall? Doesn't the subway or train run through this area? Why did many of the stores close down? I would think that in a typical suburb, a mall would normally be busy on a daily basis.
Malls in general are dying. They've been in decline for years, and the current economic situation is the nail in the coffin for many. The exceptions are large "destination" malls like Towson Town Center and Arundel Mills that can attract people from long distances. The smaller ones, like Owings Mills, can't compete by attracting only nearby residents. The country hasn't seen a new indoor mall built in the past couple of years. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
What are the good restaurants in Pikesville? I live there now but haven't really ventured around too much.
Downtown Pikesville has a few good spots. the new mari lunas is excellent (the old one down the street is good, too, but much more "casual"). Vernisage has some excellent russian/eastern European food (don't go there on a saturday night when a larger event is scheduled, as the only real staff are the proprietress and her husband and they can get spread pretty thin with a wedding reception or anniversary going on. I always go three on a weekday evening). The Pikes used to be pretty good, but since they changed ownership, it seems a bit more downscale and filled with an older crowd (moreso now that the Suburban House next door burned down). Si Salsa is also quite nice, behind Fuddruckers on Reisterstown road by the beltway.

There's a few chains in the area that aren't too bad, with Ruth's Chris leading them up.

A number of the smaller, but good, restaurants in town have closed up. the backfin was great for seafood, now it's gone. A couple of Italian ones have come and gone right across from the Boston market on Reisterstown Road. havent' been into the one that's currently there.

Lot's of Pizza and Chinese however. Mr Chans is one for the best Chinese restaruants at hand, but there are a lot to choose from.

Also, Pikesville isn't a bad place to live. A little less expensive than Owings Mills, with a couple of Metro stops to hop on the train and head downtown (Old Court and Milford Mill stations), while still within easy reach of the beltway, shopping, and other amenities.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Lot's of Pizza and Chinese however. Mr Chans is one for the best Chinese restaruants at hand, but there are a lot to choose from.

Also, Pikesville isn't a bad place to live. A little less expensive than Owings Mills, with a couple of Metro stops to hop on the train and head downtown (Old Court and Milford Mill stations), while still within easy reach of the beltway, shopping, and other amenities.
Thanks for the suggestions. It definitely isn't a bad place to live, but the whole area is just very congested.

One thing I have tried is a lot of the pizza places. A few decent places but I haven't found anything great so far. Salvino's isn't bad and has a $5 large pizza on some nights. The Pizza Man just had it's grand re-opening (wonder why it closed in the first place) and isn't bad either. Ledo Pizza is okay too (with very good mozzarella sticks) and is a little different than most places (yes I know it's a chain). Also tried "Philadelphia Style" but coming from the Philadelphia area was a little disappointed.

Sorry to get away from the topic, but back onto it...another thing about the Owings Mills mall area that I find strange is that most of the restaurants around there seem to do okay, just not the mall.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. It definitely isn't a bad place to live, but the whole area is just very congested.

One thing I have tried is a lot of the pizza places. A few decent places but I haven't found anything great so far. Salvino's isn't bad and has a $5 large pizza on some nights. The Pizza Man just had it's grand re-opening (wonder why it closed in the first place) and isn't bad either. Ledo Pizza is okay too (with very good mozzarella sticks) and is a little different than most places (yes I know it's a chain). Also tried "Philadelphia Style" but coming from the Philadelphia area was a little disappointed.

Sorry to get away from the topic, but back onto it...another thing about the Owings Mills mall area that I find strange is that most of the restaurants around there seem to do okay, just not the mall.
in Owings mills people have recommended:

Vitos Pizzeria and Restaurant - Google Maps

there are multiple locations

Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
in Owings mills people have recommended:

Vitos Pizzeria and Restaurant - Google Maps

there are multiple locations
Vito's is very good. Haven't been there in a few years, but I remember their system (or lack of it) for ordering and paying was extremely chaotic. Not always efficient, but amusing once you got used to it.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Vito's is very good. Haven't been there in a few years, but I remember their system (or lack of it) for ordering and paying was extremely chaotic. Not always efficient, but amusing once you got used to it.
This is hysterical. I used to have an office in that same building (Hooks Village), and I used to go in there for a slice pretty regularly (as Vito's has some of the only half-decent pizza in the area).

Without exception, every single time, I marveled at the inane "system" in there. I simply could not imagine that thousands of customers over the years haven't expressed the same sentiment. I mean, where do I stand? Am I in the right line? Why have I stood here for ten minutes, but that lady just walked up to the other line, ordered, and been served?

And the best one: "I called ahead, so can't I just go to the cashier instead of the ordering line?"

Ummm....apparently not.

Sorry to go on, but it really is inexplicable.

But a damned fine slice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore