Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 AM

103 posts, read 410,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
Reason why you get more racism from Asians could be that you're Asian trying to be black...
Hardly, I don't try to act or dress black, I just get along with everybody and unlike some I can look beyond someone's race. If you want to throw race into it the vast majority of my friends are actually white. If I'm labeled as a banana, so be it. I grew up in a 95% white town my girlfriend and best friends are white. As strange as this sounds there are many aspects of Asian culture which I can't stand.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 AM

239 posts, read 759,430 times
You're confusing black with uneducated. Be careful w/ that faulty assumption in Baltimore, b/c it can get you into trouble. There are larges swaths of uneducated people in this city that react with great disdain to anyone they think is acting 'better' than them.

Behavior that you were taught and praised for as a child will be looked at as snobby here.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
First of all, Baltimore is not San Francisco, so don't frolic as if it is. I'd prefer the drive-throughs to get my food. But if you must eat out and dine in, eat with your group of friends so you wont feel "alone".

Your post didn't add up to me. Why would you be eating "alone" in a black city (hood?). Was this even in the city or Baltimore County? Also, you shouldn't really feel awkward when you're Chinese eating at a Chinese Buffet place because more likely the people that works there are Asians as well. Something doesn't add up...perhaps this story is REALLY about something else similar to the one you told but exaggerated?
Not to discredit the post, but I was thinking the same thing.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
First of all, Baltimore is not San Francisco, so don't frolic as if it is. I'd prefer the drive-throughs to get my food. But if you must eat out and dine in, eat with your group of friends so you wont feel "alone".
She apparently moved here from somehere else, and probably doen't have a circle of friends to segregate herself with.

Quote:
Your post didn't add up to me. Why would you be eating "alone" in a black city (hood?). Was this even in the city or Baltimore County?
She very clearely stated she was in the city.

"However, in Baltimore city, usually the people that makes fun of me are young ghetto black girls"

As for eating alone in a "black city" what do you want her to do? Drive to Vermont to eat dinner? Baltimore is majority black. It follows that a lot of the time someone will eat out, they will be in a black or mostly black neighborhood. Not an issue unless that particular group in that particular locale starts treating you this way. I couldn't care less what the racial makeup is, and intolerant, uneducated people can be found in all races. But, I have to admit that since I moved here and lived downtown in '99, the attitudes in many areas have gotten noticable worse. I used to think of Baltimore as the biggest small town I'd ever been in, with a lot of friendly, courteous people of all races. But the ghetto attitude and sense of entitlement has gotten worse, especially towards perceived outsiders.

Quote:
Also, you shouldn't really feel awkward when you're Chinese eating at a Chinese Buffet place because more likely the people that works there are Asians as well.
Are you implying that if she's at a chinese food place, she shouldjhn't worry about someone being rude because there will be mroe aisians there to "back her up" if something happens? If I were black, and eating in a restaruant with black employees, would a white person bieng rude to me be ok and nothing to complain about because I had more of my "peeps" to back me up? Not exactly sure what kind of racial thing you're trying to say here...

Quote:
Something doesn't add up...perhaps this story is REALLY about something else similar to the one you told but exaggerated?
Really? Really? I dont see this as being at all unimaginable. The uneducated, rude, "ghetto" sense of entitlement mentality is getting worse in Baltimore. it's been mentioned many times, by many people of all races, even here on this forum. It's one of the reasons even educated blacks are leaving the area.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Sorry you are shocked and dismayed that Baltimore isn't like the educated liberal utopian campus of an ivy league university, but neither is the vast majority of the rest of the country. You probably need to get a little tougher skin and stick to the "nice" areas of the city.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrc5ed View Post
Hardly, I don't try to act or dress black, I just get along with everybody and unlike some I can look beyond someone's race. If you want to throw race into it the vast majority of my friends are actually white. If I'm labeled as a banana, so be it. I grew up in a 95% white town my girlfriend and best friends are white. As strange as this sounds there are many aspects of Asian culture which I can't stand.

Act or Dress "black"? How does one do that without generalizing or using sterotypes? To act or dress "white" or act or dress "asian" would also conjure up interesting images that would certainly be sterotypes as well that would not necessarily be accurate

Old 04-14-2010, 04:10 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
In the current U.S. scene, hip hop culture dominates. Thus, it is more common for people into the pop culture world to dress or act black. There are Asians who act and dress white as well. I've seen those. They're the ones who speak ONLY English, U.S. born types, grew up in "Vermont".

Now to whites that act Asian; look at Steven Seagal and Kung-Fu's David Carradine. Nuff said. it is NOT hip, but it exists. If only the Asian culture dominated the U.S., the younger, "hip", pop culture savvy crowd would be following this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Act or Dress "black"? How does one do that without generalizing or using sterotypes? To act or dress "white" or act or dress "asian" would also conjure up interesting images that would certainly be sterotypes as well that would not necessarily be accurate

Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
Baltimore has a white side (yuppy side aka downtown). You've been to downtown, you should know. She could have gotten her meal in that area. But since she sounded "young", she must be naive of attempting to be with the young crowd to get her meal. The young crowd in Baltimore tend to be the ghetto ones.

No, I'm speculating, that since it is a Chinese eatery, the ones being rude to her (blacks) would be more considerate what to/what not to say or when to/not to stare. After all, it isn't KFC or Soul Food eatery...but it's Baltimore.
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
She apparently moved here from somehere else, and probably doen't have a circle of friends to segregate herself with.

She very clearely stated she was in the city.

"However, in Baltimore city, usually the people that makes fun of me are young ghetto black girls"

As for eating alone in a "black city" what do you want her to do? Drive to Vermont to eat dinner? Baltimore is majority black. It follows that a lot of the time someone will eat out, they will be in a black or mostly black neighborhood. Not an issue unless that particular group in that particular locale starts treating you this way. I couldn't care less what the racial makeup is, and intolerant, uneducated people can be found in all races. But, I have to admit that since I moved here and lived downtown in '99, the attitudes in many areas have gotten noticable worse. I used to think of Baltimore as the biggest small town I'd ever been in, with a lot of friendly, courteous people of all races. But the ghetto attitude and sense of entitlement has gotten worse, especially towards perceived outsiders.

Are you implying that if she's at a chinese food place, she shouldjhn't worry about someone being rude because there will be mroe aisians there to "back her up" if something happens? If I were black, and eating in a restaruant with black employees, would a white person bieng rude to me be ok and nothing to complain about because I had more of my "peeps" to back me up? Not exactly sure what kind of racial thing you're trying to say here...

Really? Really? I dont see this as being at all unimaginable. The uneducated, rude, "ghetto" sense of entitlement mentality is getting worse in Baltimore. it's been mentioned many times, by many people of all races, even here on this forum. It's one of the reasons even educated blacks are leaving the area.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
In the current U.S. scene, hip hop culture dominates. Thus, it is more common for people into the pop culture world to dress or act black. There are Asians who act and dress white as well. I've seen those. They're the ones who speak ONLY English, U.S. born types, grew up in "Vermont".

Now to whites that act Asian; look at Steven Seagal and Kung-Fu's David Carradine. Nuff said. it is NOT hip, but it exists. If only the Asian culture dominated the U.S., the younger, "hip", pop culture savvy crowd would be following this as well.
I understand your point and certainly hip hop (aka in some circles as "rap") has evolved from beyond the inner city african american communities to mainstream USA and thus now part of mainstream culture.. I guess what threw me was "act" or "dress" XYZ race seems to imply that everyone who is a member of that race does or is expected to "act" or "dress" that way. There are many many many african americans in and outside of baltimore who do not "act or dress black".. at least in the manner that the OP appears to be describing . It just appears that at some point it just becomes who those individuals (white, black, asian, or other) are as opposed to attributing their behavior to a particuliar race. It seems to be more of a (sub) culture in and of itself.

The OP, to her credit, does make a qualifying statement of stating.. "ghetto black girls".. which by stating "ghetto" may conjure up a particular type of image, behavior, of a subculture similiar to what one may imagine using the term "red neck" or "poor white trash" etc when describing various segments (Disclaimer: I am not condoning the use of these sterotype or terms just indicating how they are often used in this context)

Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
I had a simlilar experience last week when I was jogging in Towson. I live in the Glenmont/Glendale area across Loch Raven Blvd from Hillendale. It's a very integrated middle class development. I've been jogging there every day since I first moved here in 2003.

Last Thursday, I happened to be jogging past this house on my regular route where this group of black pre-teens was hanging out on the stoop of one of their duplexes. As I passed, one of them started making noises pretending to speak some mocking fake Chinese gobledegook crap and some of the others joined in laughing. Now mind you this is very integrated middle class neighborhood with many whites, educated blacks, and asians. Anyhow, I didn't bother turning around because I had a haircut appointment that I had to be at in 30 minutes and didn't want to be late.

So the next day on my jogging route, I see the same group of boys and confronted one of them and told him if he has something to say, he should say it to my face and basically got into his face. His parents came out because they heard the commotion outside. The boy denied that he was one of the ones who was taunting me but identified the boy who started it and also his older brother who had joined in on the mockery. Both boys were not present this time.

After I explained to the father what these kids had done he became very upset and told me that he didn't raise his kids to be bigots. He apologized for his other son's behavior and informed me that he would handle the situation as well as talk with the parents of the other boy.

Hopefully, these young men were set straight by their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: