Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:04 PM

9 posts, read 20,316 times

Advertisements

Anyone who want to talk about their experiences here, please do.

I am Chinese and I am a female. I'm originally from another state. I moved here to pursue person interest and I have never ever been to such a place like Baltimore where racial discrimination still exist. Where I used to live, my best friends have been blacks and every other race. Where I'm from every race whether it's blacks, hispanics, chinese, we all co-mingle together and exist happily together. I have never had the need to defend my self against cruel racial jokes.
However, in Baltimore city, usually the people that makes fun of me are young ghetto black girls. and also philippino girls and this one phillipino woman are racist too. I have never been made fun of by black guys ever, and I always get along with black girls that attended ivy league school and ballerinas. I absolutely hate it here.If I had enough money to relocate, I really think I would. I get made fun of frequently. The other day I was at the Chinese Buffett and this black girl next to me just stared at me thruought the entire meal. I really wanted to poke her with a chopstick, but I wanted to be strong, so I just kept focused on my food. But It bothered me. She looked at me like I wasn't worthy to be there or to be happy.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 PM

107 posts, read 584,446 times
Sorry to hear that girl....I guess I would be considered one of those "educated black girls". Unfortunately, Baltimore "is what it is"....but all black girls are definitely not the same. I have friends of all ethnicities (black, white, asian, hispanic, etc.). I will admit there are some girls that live here that have never been outside of Baltimore so this is really all they know. Try to surround yourself with positive women. And ofcourse there's always DC right down the road if you get tired of Baltimore.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:29 PM

165 posts, read 533,158 times
Sorry to hear that your experience as an Asian woman in Baltimore City hasn't been a tolerable one. I say tolerable because I too am in this city until I can afford to sell and move. I often feel like a minority in this city that is majority black, however I will say I haven't had the experience of being discriminated against for being Asian (I'm Korean). I don't know where in the city you reside or where you hang out. As for a black girl just staring at you. While annoying and rude, it doesn't sound as if she did anything to make you feel discriminated against. Again, I think it is often easy to feel over-sensitive when you are in the minority. I agree with the poster above, check out DC from time to time, and maybe even consider where you go in Baltimore City--try to stay within areas where these "ghetto girls" don't frequent and when you do come across them, often they WANT you to react. It gives them, in their minds anyway, a legitimate excuse to start trouble. Just go along your own way and ignore them. You'll be better and safer for it. I wish you well.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,086 times
Hmm... Join the club! In Baltimore, most of the people you describe hate Caucasians/ European-Americans too. And they'll kill you in the blink of an eye... for a dollar, or just for no reason. No respect for human life whatsoever. It's an enormous problem that no one wants to talk about, and we are almost always censored from discussing it. No one wants to hear about so-called 'reverse racism'. But maybe your message will be acceptable to the public because you're Asian. Sorry to hear you had to experience it too. Yes, I would recommend relocating. Baltimore is an amazing and unique city in so many ways, but nothing.... I repeat... NOTHING is worth what you will have to put up with there. It will affect your quality of life and mental state (and yes, your safety) on a daily basis. But of course everyone will keep looking the other way and not talking about the obvious problem that afflicts that city.... (among others....) The crime rate is off the charts and no matter what people say, it never gets better. All you have to do is look at the news and talk to people to see what is happening there. But hopefully nothing will happen to you. Horrible things happened to me and everyone I know..... and I finally got out. Maybe in a more enlightened future, certain groups of people will learn to take personal responsibility for their behavior. Then again, maybe not.
Hang in there, be safe, watch your back (do NOT trust anyone approaching you on the street)... and good luck to you......!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
There has always been a long history of a negative undercurrent occuring between some Asians and some African-Americans in many cities. Some of it stems from the grocery store on the corner phenomina. But, if you do an internet search on these relationships and issues, you will see that they pop up in many cities.

Opalminor-You have taken generalizations to a new low. I don't think most African-Americans hate others. And I don't think most will "kill you in a blink of an eye". There is racism out there for all to enjoy and yes, your thread reeks of it. My quality of life is perfectly fine in Baltimore City. Another person talking out their a??.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM

103 posts, read 410,103 times
I'm curious, how old are you? I am also of Asian decent now in my late 20s. Granted, I am a male but I regularly frequented nightclubs in Baltimore City (Paradox, Club Choices, Iguana Cantina, Hammerjacks etc) on nights where practically everyone there was black and didn't have an issue. I found most people there were friendly and polite, especially once you break the ice and start talking to them like a human being. There weren't any "romeo must die" moments. Heck even when it's mostly whites or hispanics I'm still the minority. Every once in a while, I do hear some Bruce Lee/Jet Li, or William Hung or Kim Jong Il remark, but what is this.. middle school? Infact I've had more issues of people being rude from other asians than any other race.

Don't take this personally but from your post it sounds as if you're a bit sensitive. Because someone was staring at you while you were eating it bothered you? If someone stared at me I would consider it flattery.

My mom immigrated here as a student in her early 20s and she stayed in the area even though she could have easily gone anywhere- even back to Asia. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist nor are there thugs out there (of any race) who will kill you for a dollar but in my experience it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 62,232 times
Sadly this could happen anywhere, not just Baltimore. I'm originally from NJ where every co-mingled as well. I would love to find an area like the town I grew up in, however, it's rare. If you keep to yourself then the young girls won't bother you. Just ignore them as you mentioned they are uneducated and probably just curious, i guess. be careful.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM

19 posts, read 62,232 times
To add you say you've always gotten along with Black girls who attend Ivy league schools... These Baltimore girls are so not the same in anyway.
It's not clear how you're actually interacting with this population. I'm Black and i wouldn't come into contact with these ghetto girls on anyday. I have no desire to go to the hood chinese buffet or the local corner store, nail shop etc. Maybe if you stay out of these areas you wouldn't have these problems. Just making suggestions.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:50 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
First of all, Baltimore is not San Francisco, so don't frolic as if it is. I'd prefer the drive-throughs to get my food. But if you must eat out and dine in, eat with your group of friends so you wont feel "alone".

Your post didn't add up to me. Why would you be eating "alone" in a black city (hood?). Was this even in the city or Baltimore County? Also, you shouldn't really feel awkward when you're Chinese eating at a Chinese Buffet place because more likely the people that works there are Asians as well. Something doesn't add up...perhaps this story is REALLY about something else similar to the one you told but exaggerated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Michols View Post
Anyone who want to talk about their experiences here, please do.

I am Chinese and I am a female. I'm originally from another state. I moved here to pursue person interest and I have never ever been to such a place like Baltimore where racial discrimination still exist. Where I used to live, my best friends have been blacks and every other race. Where I'm from every race whether it's blacks, hispanics, chinese, we all co-mingle together and exist happily together. I have never had the need to defend my self against cruel racial jokes.
However, in Baltimore city, usually the people that makes fun of me are young ghetto black girls. and also philippino girls and this one phillipino woman are racist too. I have never been made fun of by black guys ever, and I always get along with black girls that attended ivy league school and ballerinas. I absolutely hate it here.If I had enough money to relocate, I really think I would. I get made fun of frequently. The other day I was at the Chinese Buffett and this black girl next to me just stared at me thruought the entire meal. I really wanted to poke her with a chopstick, but I wanted to be strong, so I just kept focused on my food. But It bothered me. She looked at me like I wasn't worthy to be there or to be happy.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
Reason why you get more racism from Asians could be that you're Asian trying to be black...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrc5ed View Post
I'm curious, how old are you? I am also of Asian decent now in my late 20s. Granted, I am a male but I regularly frequented nightclubs in Baltimore City (Paradox, Club Choices, Iguana Cantina, Hammerjacks etc) on nights where practically everyone there was black and didn't have an issue. I found most people there were friendly and polite, especially once you break the ice and start talking to them like a human being. There weren't any "romeo must die" moments. Heck even when it's mostly whites or hispanics I'm still the minority. Every once in a while, I do hear some Bruce Lee/Jet Li, or William Hung or Kim Jong Il remark, but what is this.. middle school? Infact I've had more issues of people being rude from other asians than any other race.

Don't take this personally but from your post it sounds as if you're a bit sensitive. Because someone was staring at you while you were eating it bothered you? If someone stared at me I would consider it flattery.

My mom immigrated here as a student in her early 20s and she stayed in the area even though she could have easily gone anywhere- even back to Asia. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist nor are there thugs out there (of any race) who will kill you for a dollar but in my experience it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: