Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 AM

23 posts, read 64,034 times

Advertisements

Are there really that many mice and roaches around? I'm researching different apartment complexes online (for example, Belvedere Towers apartments in Roland Park), and it looks great so far and if I'm not mistaken, is in a desirable part of town... I go to apartmentratings.com, and several people complain about mice and roaches at this particular community.

Is this normal? I thought that was just in the city near dumpsters or dilapidated buildings. Should I expect this only in the older buildings/homes/apartments in the suburbs too? Or, are they just everywhere?

Sorry if I sound naive. I've never encountered mice or roaches here in Southern California. I'm moving there in a few weeks, so just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 AM

280 posts, read 674,700 times
I have bad news for you: There are RATS as well. In the city near dumpsters or dilapidated buildings is where you will find those.

We live in a suburban area of the city and our cat leaves a mouse on our steps every week or two. There are no mice or roaches in the home, as we are good housekeepers (the cat helps as well).

I guess with apartments or neighborhoods, the amount of vermin depends upon how neat and clean the neighbors are.

Apartment complexes should have contracts with exterminators who make regular visits. I would inquire about the pest management plan at any place you are considering.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:56 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Mice will be all over. Feild mice love the edge of the woods, and this area is full of places where they can live. As was mentioned, cats and other predators feed on them, so foxes, owls and hawks love it. And if there's uncleaned garbage in dumpsters nearby there will be rats and roaches. But I agree with the above that there should be a pest management system in place. One or two slipping through may be inevitable in any apartment situation, however.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM

193 posts, read 541,290 times
I lived in SW Baltimore, out towards the county and we had a surplus of rats. Never in the home (thankfully!!) but you could see/hear them moving about outside at night. Not to mention a fresh one squished in the street very often.

Never had trouble with roaches in the house, but did have one mouse over the course of 3 years. I think we were lucky considering how dirty the neighbors and neighborhood was.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times
I live in a townhouse in the Middle River area and was here for over 13 years and never saw even a hint of a roach or any other bug until the house next door was sold and turned into a rental. The most recent tenant who moved in 3 years ago brought a roach infestation with her, and both I and the neighbor in the house attached to the other side of her started seeing them. I hired an exterminator who now comes in every other month which seems to be keeping them under control. I now very rarely see one in the house.

As for mice - we would occasionally have one in the house but I have a cat that used to be a very good mouser. Unfortunately, she is now 18 years old and has gone deaf so she is not the great hunter that she used to be. In addition, they just tore down the wooded area adjacent to my development to build new homes, and it seems that all of the little critters that used to call that area home were displaced. As a result, over the last few months we have caught about a half dozen mice in the house - way more than we had ever had over the last 16 years. I think we got them all as the traps have been silent for about a month now. But it seems that it may be time to get another cat just to make sure they stay out.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,995 times
You are more likely to find roaches in apartments and in the urban areas of the city where there are plenty of dumpsters and outdoor trash facilities. In single family neighborhoods like Roland Park roaches are very rare (I have yet to ever find a roach in my Roland Park home, and the same can be said for most of my neighbors. My son even claims that he never saw a roach in his life until he was 22 years old and went to Fiji).

Mice are everywhere, whether city, suburbs or country.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 AM

23 posts, read 64,034 times
Hmmm. Maybe we are just really lucky that we haven't encountered any insects or rodents in my apartment here in SoCal... just spiders.

When we move to Baltimore, sounds like we'll just have to get a cat.

Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore