U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 PM

429 posts, read 1,281,134 times
Default If You Live In Cecil County Maryland...Are You A Baltimore or Philly Person?

I'm curious, people in Northeast Maryland outside the immediate Baltimore area, is this considered to be Philly territory, Baltimore, or both?

1) What sports teams do you root for/cities do you align to?
-Washington teams, Baltimore, or Philadelphia?

2) Which teams games do you get on TV, are covered in the local papers, TV?

3) If it's split how do people decide which way to go
-Is there a lot of criss crossing (Washington one sport, Baltimore another, then Philadelphia) or do people normally go with one city?

4) Which sports are big, football, baseball, hockey, nba?

5) If there is a split, where does it begin, example from what point does it go from Philadelphia to Washington and Baltimore and what is the split, 70/30?

Thanks.

Last edited by Thruway; 06-15-2007 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,495 times
Default Philly fan in Anne Arundel Co.

I was born in Darby, just outside Philadelphia, and am die hard Phillies and Eagles fan. Growing up, I also liked the Orioles, Brooks Robinson was my favorite player.

I was in heaven in October 1983 (although I'd rather have seen the Phils win)

Now I'm in the Army and stationed at Fort Meade. I have Sunday season tickets to the Phillies, so every other weekend I make the trek north up I-95. I'd say that the divide is at the toll booth near Newark, DE...if you live in Elkton, you like the O's/Ravens. Wilmington DE, Phils/Eagles. U of D in Newark is divided.

Since the teams are in different conferences/leagues, it takes some of the rivalry out, so it's easy for me to root for both.

FYI There's a bar in South Baltimore called McGurk's...Charm City's home for Eagles fans...you can usually find me there on fall Sundays!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM

You're saying then Cecil County is predominantly Baltimore territory, Philly is PA and DE?

I'm kinda surprised I thought since Philly is closer to Elkton it would be more Philly, but I suppose it goes by state loyalty instead.

What stations do you get, PHI or BAL?
Is it rural?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,495 times
I lived in the town of North East for a year, and we got BOTH Philly and Balt channels on cable...sweet. Cecil County is relatively rural, downright redneck in many parts.

The pending military base realignment (BRAC) is going to bring a lot of government and defense related jobs to nearby Aberdeen; I expect a lot of residential and commercial development in Cecil Co. especially along the US 40 corridor.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 PM

1) You get ALL the PHI and BAL
-Sports teams
-Local ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC affilates

2) Which teams are covered in the newspaper?

3) Locally around town and in schools, which do people go by?
PHI or BAL?

4) I'm surprised given how close Cecil is to PHI people don't commute from PHI back. Any reason why?

5) Overall it sounds like Cecil county has the characteristics of a southern area, not a northeast suburb, and thus it sounds like it would be more BAL than anything.

6) Where does it go from being BAL to PHI, is there a sharp drastic turn OR are some areas split?

7) That is to bad about BRAC, I hate how the federal government is contributing to sprawl.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 PM

Move it atop.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM

I will say it for the tenth occasion.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM

510 posts, read 767,453 times
So was Cecil County just like Harford County and heavy pro-Ravens?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 PM

756 posts, read 935,633 times
Edit: I didn't realize this was an old thread. I suspect Elkton is like Mercer County, NJ, that is split, but the rural areas of Cecil County might just be rural areas.

I've examined the Baltimore masterplan some years ago, and it shows association with York County, PA and not Cecil County, MD. The mostly unavoidable toll on the Susquehanna River bridge is a killer for commutership between Cecil Co. MD and the Baltimore region.

Cecil Co. can access New Castle Co. DE without toll, and get into SE PA easily.

As far as the consumer

1. Shopping besides grocery is often done in No. Delaware where the stores carry Philly team merchandise.
Besides the Super Walmart, most stores prefer opening in Delaware with the no sales tax. MD taxes clothing.

2. Apartment Guide at grocery stores is Philly/Wilmington. Baltimore edition begin at grocery stores in Harford County. However on groceries, Safeway and Giant-MD, which are from the MD/DC region, have stores in Cecil County through New Castle Co. DE,

3. The county is part of the Wilmington-Philadelphia MSA, with public transit between Elkton and DE, but no public transit between Elkton and Baltimore.

However the thing that screws everything off is Cecil Co. is part of Baltimore DMA (TV market), this because outside of Elkton, the rural portions of the county are rural and they tune to Baltimore TV more than Philly TV, likely because of more usage from Maryland news.

Because of Nielsen assigning it this way, the retail chains like McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts follow that, and the locations in Cecil Co. are not aligned with New Castle and Kent County, DE. So, if McDonalds has a special in the Philadelphia region (say $1 coffee any size), it's available in the McDonalds in counties of the Philadelphia DMA including Mercer County, NJ and New Castle Co. and Kent Co. DE, but not Cecil County, MD.

The big 4 stations from Philadelphia still have cable coverage in Elkton and Cecil Co., however DirecTV and Dish Network do not offer Philly TV as far as I remember. I'm not sure if Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia is offered on cable there.

Outside of Elkton, Baltimore FM is stronger than Philly FM in the rural areas, as observed from my car radio, but the few Wilmington FM stations are strong. It's part of the Wilmington FM market.

Last edited by avg12; 01-25-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore