Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:07 PM

444 posts, read 788,538 times

Advertisements

I'm at the point of ruling out Bangor, but am still interested if anyone else has something to say. I appreciate that Mainers are generally open minded. Actually, I went there on my honeymoon in 1974. I don't hate and look down on people either and am able to relate well to others. But I find that people who aren't well educated, haven't traveled much, and have lived in one area all their lives are often unable to relate to me.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell
... Actually, I'd rather just ignore politics too, but that's probably harder to do here than in Argyle.
I live in Argyle, however I am not from Argyle. I am from Southern California, I have lived in many places including two homes overseas.

I do not wish to imply that anyone should ignore politics. As voters we should all be aware of political issues. I as world traveler, I learned as I matured to separate my emotions from my political opinions.

Which has nothing to do with Argyle, but with me the well traveled retiree with a Masters degree.

Quote:
... I've been thinking of moving there and wonder what Bangor locals think, particularly locals who have also lived in other parts of the country.
I chimed in to respond to you, as I am new to Maine myself.

Quote:
... we hate Republicans. We also dislike most yuppies and rich Americans.
Well, bless your heart

Quote:
... We like the outdoors but don't hunt and think snowmobiles and ATVs are idiotic except for transportation.
I suspect that life in any rural area would be offensive to you.

Quote:
... We can tolerate poor Republicans better than rich Republicans.

... we're not at all thrilled with the Democratic Party, most Democrats don't cause us to cringe
So you cringe around Republicans. If you missed it Maine just voted into office a Republican Governor.

Quote:
... Bangor is past its heyday, has a weak economy, and demographically resembles other towns of that description.
Clearly Bangor is not right for you.

Quote:
... a relatively uneducated population, votes Republican,
The concept that republicans are uneducated is offensive. I am not a Republican. But the repeated theme in your posts of how much you hate them and consider them to be uneducated is offensive.

Quote:
... Dixon is in farm country, not the north woods,
Bangor is not in the North Woods.

Quote:
... I don't hate and look down on people either and am able to relate well to others. But I find that people who aren't well educated, haven't traveled much, and have lived in one area all their lives are often unable to relate to me.
Yes I am sure that your biases are the fault of everyone else, no doubt.

From one well traveled and educated pensioner to another, I do hope that you find a home you like somewhere.

Bless your heart.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The concept that republicans are uneducated is offensive. I am not a Republican. But the repeated theme in your posts of how much you hate them and consider them to be uneducated is offensive.
There is a little more subtlety to my position than you're indicating. In the case of Republicans, I know that there are many very smart ones. Of the smart ones, most have bought into it because it's part of the business culture that pays their bills. But there are also a few sinister Republicans who pull strings behind the scenes to further enrich themselves: those are the ones I dislike the most. In my opinion, the average Joe the Plumber Republican is a bit of a dupe, because he's the one who has suffered the most from Republican policies.

Quote:
Bangor is not in the North Woods.
Well, there must still be a few trees around if Bangor was called "the lumber capital of the world." And it may not be Presque Isle, but it's still pretty darn north compared to the rest of the U.S.

Quote:
Yes I am sure that your biases are the fault of everyone else, no doubt.
Your (and many people's) bias may be that you don't distinguish between a person's considered opinions and a person's plain old prejudices.

Quote:
From one well traveled and educated pensioner to another, I do hope that you find a home you like somewhere.
Thanks once again for your comments. However, at this point I'm a little nervous that the only person who thinks I might like Bangor isn't originally from the area. Northampton is looking better. Bennington is probably too small. I think I'll check out Burlington, VT, too.

Last edited by pauldorell; 11-24-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Bangor looks appealing because it doesn't seem small enough to be a complete hick town
ouch.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
ouch.
That wasn't intended to be an insult. Bangor probably has a few things going for it, but it doesn't seem to be much of a mecca for intellectuals. At least no one from Orono is jumping into this thread to defend it.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
That wasn't intended to be an insult. Bangor probably has a few things going for it, but it doesn't seem to be much of a mecca for intellectuals.
Oh brother.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Oh brother.
There also seems to be a shortage of syllables in Bangor.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
There also seems to be a shortage of syllables in Bangor.
I live in New York City.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I live in New York City.
OK, the syllable count is gradually increasing. Is your outdoor experience limited to Central Park? Have you actually been to Bangor?

Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
OK, the syllable count is gradually increasing. Is your outdoor experience limited to Central Park? Have you actually been to Bangor?

Never been to Bangor.

But I've known plenty of republicans and inhabitants of rural communities, and I don't consider them to be ignorant hicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area