U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,024,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Well, there must still be a few trees around if Bangor was called "the lumber capital of the world."
Bangor was a major lumber port.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM

438 posts, read 328,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Never been to Bangor.

But I've known plenty of republicans and inhabitants of rural communities, and I don't consider them to be ignorant hicks.
Nowhere did I say or imply that all rural inhabitants or Republicans are ignorant. However, I lived in a rural town for 10 years and found that most of the people were not well educated, had limited outlooks on life, and tended to vote Republican. That town just depresses me whenever I go back.

For example, my daughter lived with me and had several friends in high school. Her best friend got pregnant and never finished high school, and she later had another baby and is still a single parent as far as I know. I think her mother helped her get a job at the post office. Another friend, who was a good student, never went to college and became a topless dancer. In contrast, my daughter moved away with me, finished college, traveled the world, and is now happily married to a man whom she met in Nepal and is completing his undergraduate degree at Johns Hopkins.

I also knew quite a few workers through my job, and while some of them were reasonably intelligent, very few went to college, and the best they could hope for was to have a job at a local factory. Some of them knew a lot about running equipment, hunting, fishing, etc., but they were certainly not well-rounded people by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Nowhere did I say or imply that all rural inhabitants or Republicans are ignorant. However, I lived in a rural town for 10 years and found that most of the people were not well educated, had limited outlooks on life, and tended to vote Republican. That town just depresses me whenever I go back.

For example, my daughter lived with me and had several friends in high school. Her best friend got pregnant and never finished high school, and she later had another baby and is still a single parent as far as I know. I think her mother helped her get a job at the post office. Another friend, who was a good student, never went to college and became a topless dancer. In contrast, my daughter moved away with me, finished college, traveled the world, and is now happily married to a man whom she met in Nepal and is completing his undergraduate degree at Johns Hopkins.

I also knew quite a few workers through my job, and while some of them were reasonably intelligent, very few went to college, and the best they could hope for was to have a job at a local factory. Some of them knew a lot about running equipment, hunting, fishing, etc., but they were certainly not well-rounded people by any stretch of the imagination.
I guess it doesn't even occur to you that not everyone shares your definition of a successful life.

I'm not impressed by any of the life examples you furnished.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 AM

BTW, I'm not a Republican; they're too liberal for me.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:44 PM

2,380 posts, read 2,754,762 times
Quote:
I guess it doesn't even occur to you that not everyone shares your definition of a successful life.

I'm not impressed by any of the life examples you furnished.
Just seems to show that just because some one may have a degree of sorts, that doesn't make them intelligent.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
That's interesting, since I didn't provide a definition of a successful life. The examples I gave were of people who were trapped by their circumstances and perhaps not aware of their options in life. Many of them were happy. "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." There has been a brain drain in that town for decades, and most of those people never return. It's not all about money.

You have been inarticulate about your position and have not demonstrated any knowledge of Bangor that can't be looked up on the Internet. I don't know what the point of your posting here is. In any case, I've crossed Bangor off my list, so you don't have to worry about Satan ruining your utopia.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Just seems to show that just because some one may have a degree of sorts, that doesn't make them intelligent.
I didn't mean that having a degree makes a person intelligent. It can simply provide someone with options that they wouldn't have otherwise. For example, it would be kind of difficult to become a doctor if you never went to college. No one says rural people have to go to college, but I'd rather they do that than set up crystal meth labs in the woods to earn a living. If they can live off the land or have other skills and don't need or want a college education, that's fine.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM

2,883 posts, read 2,932,849 times
Wow. Been away for a bit and just reading what was posted here while I was gone. Quite the dialog you got going here. Takes a bit to get forest wound up like that. I agree that Bangor, probably N.H. and Vermont as well, are not your cup of tea, Paul. From what I've read I would say Beacon Hill or the like would be more to your liking. The Buckhead section of Atlanta? Somewhere that people don't say a lot but the inuendo flies. My ex could speak as you; leave enough of a loophole in the conversation to scurry out of while looking for an argument. Reminds me of; (oh, what is that called?) some sort of mythical creature of Skandanavian descent, I believe.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Takes a bit to get forest wound up like that.
Well, I wasn't really trying to get them wound up. I just wanted some feedback, but they don't seem to be men of many words. If I lived around there and someone asked me questions about the area, I think I'd be more receptive and try to help them. Forest beekeeper was somewhat helpful, but I don't know what's with OutDoorNut. My God, this is just a stupid website, and you'd think I was planning to sneak into Penobscot County and poison everyone who lives there. Maybe that's where Stephen King gets the inspiration for his horror stories.

Anyway, I've pretty much given up on Maine, though I was also thinking of Brunswick earlier. New Hampshire is still a slight possibility, but western Vermont around Burlington is looking pretty good at the moment. The commenters in Vermont were all helpful, even a New Green Mountain Boy who doesn't want any more liberals in the state. Eventually we'll get around to checking the places out in person. The Northampton area of Massachusetts would probably be OK, and it's still in the running. We definitely don't want to live in or near a real city if we can avoid it. We're also steering clear of the South.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM

2,883 posts, read 2,932,849 times
Quote:
Well, I wasn't really trying to get them wound up. I just wanted some feedback, but they don't seem to be men of many words. If I lived around there and someone asked me questions about the area, I think I'd be more receptive and try to help them. Forest beekeeper was somewhat helpful, but I don't know what's with OutDoorNut. My God, this is just a stupid website, and you'd think I was planning to sneak into Penobscot County and poison everyone who lives there. Maybe that's where Stephen King gets the inspiration for his horror stories.

Anyway, I've pretty much given up on Maine, though I was also thinking of Brunswick earlier. New Hampshire is still a slight possibility, but western Vermont around Burlington is looking pretty good at the moment. The commenters in Vermont were all helpful, even a New Green Mountain Boy who doesn't want any more liberals in the state. Eventually we'll get around to checking the places out in person. The Northampton area of Massachusetts would probably be OK, and it's still in the running. We definitely don't want to live in or near a real city if we can avoid it. We're also steering clear of the South.

Of course you weren't. I believe you. Not a trollish bone in ya. Glad to hear you're looking more to Mass. IMHO you'll fit in a lot better there. Their loss is our gain, I guess; or something like that. Dislexia is a hctib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area