U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 3,369,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolfpack View Post
I've been looking into the Bangor area as well. Anyone have any further input on crime and schools? (I have 2 small children)
I don't have personal experience with Bangor schools but here's is a link to them.

Home :: Bangor School System

If you are on facebook and want to get a better feel for crime stats, check the PD page out. You should be able to find it under Bangor Maine Police Department. They usually list monthly stats broken down by crime.

Here's a link to the City of Bangor:

The Official Municipal Website for the City of Bangor, Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 AM

738 posts, read 1,129,363 times
I grew up in Bangor and lived there for 26 years. My parent's have been in the same house for the past 39 years. There are a few area's of the city I would not want to live in, but overall it is a very nice place to live. There is a lot to do in and around Bangor, especially if you like the great outdoors. I hope to move back at some point but there are no job's in my field there, so I am stuck being a weekender and vacationer.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM

562 posts, read 656,146 times
For those of you asking about schools. Hampden has probably the best education in the area and that is just south of Bangor by about 10 minutes. They are actually building a brand new High School at the moment that is a pretty huge deal. Has solar panels, geothermal, etc. State of the art facility. Lots of programs and things that they do there. Hampden is the upper class of the area.

And for any of you moving to Bangor - consider the outer lying towns for your residence. Hampden, Brewer, Orrington, Orono, Old Town, Hermon, Holden. They are all considered close and much of the Bangor bustle includes people who live in these towns. I grew up in Orrington, which was a 20-30 minute drive into Bangor (far side of Orrington). You certainly get used to the commute. It would be weird for me to go back now that everything I need is less than 4 miles away, and in many cases less than a mile!

One more note about the education - I went to Brewer High School, and I've never actually been to the Bangor High school, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot nicer. Kids in Orrington go to Brewer High - the Middle School in Orrington was built in '99 or '00 - just after I left it!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM

13 posts, read 12,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I live just outside Bangor, you might call it the suburbs...lol...I crack myself up.

Anyway, I work in and do a lot of business in Bangor and while I am not sure I want to live in "the city", (I came from Miami, I'm seriously over it), I think Bangor is just what was said above: A very nice, laid back, safe little town with some neat things to do here and there and good people to meet. Everything you could want or need, you will find it there withOUT all the crap that you get from a big city.

(Just...be prepared for disappearing road lines...but you'll eventually get the hang of it.)
Thanks so much for this post, 3WIS. I currently live in California and am planning on moving to Maine within the upcoming year, and I've found myself inexplicably drawn to Bangor.

Are the winters hard to cope with in Bangor? I know they have public transportation, etc. (neither my husband nor I drive at the moment), but do the buses run in the snow? Does the town ever completely shut down, other than obviously so for a snow of blizzard proportions?

I work from home and, as long as I have the internet, I'm good to go. We're both pretty good at planning ahead for any supplies we might need to avoid going out unnecesarily in the winter, but I understand somewhere in this forum is a thread with tips on how to survive winter in Maine which I intend to find and peruse.

Thanks again for that informative post...My husband and I are vacationing at Piscean for a week next summer, and then we'll be making concrete plans on a moving date and location. I cannot wait :-)

Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 PM

2,451 posts, read 2,941,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMorelion View Post
Thanks so much for this post, 3WIS. I currently live in California and am planning on moving to Maine within the upcoming year, and I've found myself inexplicably drawn to Bangor.

Are the winters hard to cope with in Bangor? I know they have public transportation, etc. (neither my husband nor I drive at the moment), but do the buses run in the snow? Does the town ever completely shut down, other than obviously so for a snow of blizzard proportions?

I work from home and, as long as I have the internet, I'm good to go. We're both pretty good at planning ahead for any supplies we might need to avoid going out unnecesarily in the winter, but I understand somewhere in this forum is a thread with tips on how to survive winter in Maine which I intend to find and peruse.

Thanks again for that informative post...My husband and I are vacationing at Piscean for a week next summer, and then we'll be making concrete plans on a moving date and location. I cannot wait :-)
If you move to Maine, you will need to drive somewhere. The public transportation system is very limited. This is an edge of civilization after all.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Bangor is used to getting a lot of snow and I don't recall ever seeing the bat not running or the town completely shut down even during a blizzard.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM

9,929 posts, read 5,145,660 times
Quote:

Sorry, I did not see this earlier. Hopefully I'm not writing this to no one; that you'll come back and see it.

I cannot tell you anything about the winters because I have been told that this last winter was mild. I sure hope so after all the hype I received before moving here. The first snow this last year was October 29. I was excited, the dogs were excited, we were thrilled to bits. And then it melted. It did that all winter. Where was the 30 foot snow banks? Where was the horrific, unbearable chill? Where was the digging? What is this? People LAUGHED at me when I told them I came from Miami. "Oh just you wait until winter....ahahahahahahaha!" And that's what I got? Please. So I can't judge it, I can't tell you, all I can say is that this last winter was a complete joke.

If you work from home, you'll be just fine. Have you considered some of the little towns around Bangor? If you don't have to go out and find work, that might be a good deal. I live in a town outside, 8 miles from my door to the airport and I love it. I LOVE where I live. Some people made fun of it when I first got here but I don't care what they think, I love it. To be honest, I'm glad I chose NOT to live in Bangor. It's fine to drive to for work or fun but I don't want to live IN Bangor. I think some of the little towns around it are much, much nicer.

I do see public transportation but here is what I don't see: Bus stops. HOW do you know where to get on the dang bus? I see people just randomly waiting along the road and I find out later, they are waiting for the bus. How did they know to stand there? I do not understand the bus system here. And it's nothing like on the west coast, nothing. I think it's better that you get a car. Get an inexpensive car, do NOT spend all your money on a brand new car. You will be sorry in 5-6 years when it's all rusted out. If you don't drive much, I think a reliable, decent used car, (maybe buy it before you move here), is the better way to go than rely on public transportation.

Also, anything you might put in an earthquake kit is what you should have for winters here, should they get bad. Just like you would in an earthquake, but more because you might get snowed in, but your house shouldn't come crumbling down around you. Lots of canned goods, for sure. And hey, you can still get cold things. If it's that dang crazy in winter, you can just put the cold things outside to keep chilled if you lose electricity. Sterno, matches, lighters, Gilligan radios, batteries, flashlights, blankets, blankets, blankets, warm clothes, (get them here, trust me, there IS a difference in "warm" clothes from CA (FL as well), and "warm" clothes here), boots...I don't mean stylish boots, either, gloves, hat, scarf, long johns, CARHART...it is a pain to break it in but get one anyway, you'll never go cold again, (and if you're coming up in the summer, check out a Tractor Supply store to see if they have any specials on them...waiting until December is stupid, stupid, stupid. Apparently everyone gets Carharts for Christmas so the price goes up. LESSON learned!), etc, etc, etc.

Look around the smaller towns, consider a reliable, decent used car, get cable internet, get your warm clothes here, not in CA, stock up for winter like you would for an earthquake but you can get more than what you are used to, meet the neighbors, enjoy the peace, enjoy the quiet, enjoy the tranquility and wonder why on earth you didn't do this sooner.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 AM

5,648 posts, read 7,545,808 times
Quote:
I do see public transportation but here is what I don't see: Bus stops. HOW do you know where to get on the dang bus? I see people just randomly waiting along the road and I find out later, they are waiting for the bus. How did they know to stand there?
The official website for the City of Bangor, Maine

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM

There is a yellow band around the telephone pole to indicate the bus stop's.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 AM

276 posts, read 541,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
There is a yellow band around the telephone pole to indicate the bus stop's.
I might be mistaken but I think there are also some small signs with a bat on them indicating a stop as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area