Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 PM

171 posts, read 197,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
I am also a northern californian looking to move to maine if employment comes through getting closer to knowing for sure... really gotta jump through hoops but on the plus side they don't seem to be annoyed by my being from california or out of state
Anyone who acts "annoyed" at you simply for being from a different state is a jack*ss. Seriously. Unless you're in the mountains of Western Maine, people exhibiting an "us vs. the flatlanders" mentality will be met with a roll of the eyes , and you'll likely have others who witness this apologize to you for their ignorance.

And, if you and the majority of people you interact with are mostly under the age of 40, I'd be shocked if you encounter that kind of attitude at all. If you're friendly, I think you'll find Maine people friendly, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 PM

13 posts, read 53,484 times
Default today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Banor is a neat safe city. There are more young people than in most Maine towns. There are about five colleges in and near Bangor. You can walk anywhere. There is bus service and rents are reasonable.
is it still neat and safe

Old 10-23-2014, 07:57 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the relocater View Post
is it still neat and safe
yes

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 PM

893 posts, read 1,206,980 times
Bangor is nice, but it is in the middle of nowhere. If you can't find something you might be looking for there (a certain restaurant, activity, store, etc.), then you won't find it anywhere within a reasonable distance either.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:10 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Bangor is nice, but it is in the middle of nowhere. If you can't find something you might be looking for there (a certain restaurant, activity, store, etc.), then you won't find it anywhere within a reasonable distance either.
You get what you pay for.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Well I'm not so sure about that. It used to be that way, but once upon a time we had to go to Portland to visit some chain restaurant or store we wanted to patronize. Not so much today. I don't think there's much left to Tom Davis' cow pastures on Stillwater Avenue that hasn't been paved over and some chain retailer/restaurant hasn't planted on. We have to remember that north of here (for example Millinocket) has all but dried up and blown away as far as jobs are concerned, so naturally, people are commuting greater distances for work/shopping.

Fortunately there are still a few family-owned restaurants left though, and for that I'm grateful.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:16 AM

506 posts, read 683,612 times
With the advent of the internet and modern transportation.......nothing is "in the middle of nowhere".

Old 11-16-2014, 12:21 PM

31 posts, read 40,336 times
Quote:
Actually, there are plenty of people that think that if you can't find it in Bangor, you don't need it. When you live in a small town, you go to the next larger town for what you can't find locally. If that fails, you go to the "big city" (Bangor). As far as restaurants go, traveling 1 hour to go to Bangor to the Olive Garden is a treat, but I would hardly call it important enough to travel 2 hours to Augusta or 3 hours to Portland. I guess it's what you are used to and what your priorities are...

Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
I don't know about working there but I very much like to visit. I relocated just outside of Waterville after having travelling with the federal government for about 2 decades. Bangor has it all over Waterville in my opinion. Would love to live there someday. The public bus system looks great and judging by their schedule, they run all over and one could take them to work. All the shopping I need is there as well. And there is a BJs going in where the old Home Depot was according to the latest news.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 PM

506 posts, read 683,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I don't know about working there but I very much like to visit. I relocated just outside of Waterville after having travelling with the federal government for about 2 decades. Bangor has it all over Waterville in my opinion. Would love to live there someday. The public bus system looks great and judging by their schedule, they run all over and one could take them to work. All the shopping I need is there as well. And there is a BJs going in where the old Home Depot was according to the latest news.
Waterville has very little left outside of a few decent restaurants and Colby College.

That being said, I'll take the Kennebec Valley region any day over the Greater Bangor area as a place to work and live. I find the people in the Bangor area a bit more hostile, indifferent and inept......I will say however that this is from a purely consumer driven POV. While Bangor has better shopping and a larger offering of restaurants.......customer service seems to REALLY be lacking. I will say that Bangor has been picking up steam.....especially on the restaurant front. Many new ones that I need to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area