Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 25,788 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I moved to the Bangor area in Spetember due to work. I'm a young, successful male who enjoys socializing. Although I have to say, I'm having a very hard time meeting, or even seeing for that matter, any young, attractive women in this area. I've never had trouble meeting women anywhere that I have lived...

I'm very laid back and can converse with anyone, if such an opportunity existed.

Now admittingly, I've moved from a large city in NC and I don't expect it to be the same, however this is kind of strange.

I've tried all the online dating sites and could not even find any reasonably attractive women on said sites. I've been to some of the local pubs like the Seadog, Paddy's, and Nocturnum, and the few attractive females I've seen were either with guys, or had wedding rings on. Most of the bars I've been to seem to be mostly guys.

I don't expect the nightlife to be anywhere near that of my former city, however with all of the colleges in the area one would think that there would be plenty of attractive 20-30-somethings out and about. I realize that many younger people would not want to saty here after college, etc but not like this.

Am I just not looking in the right places? Should I try areas closer to the colleges? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-M

Last edited by LagunaBlue; 02-01-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 AM

20 posts, read 86,158 times
Try Bear Brew in Orono.. or the old Ushies..107 ultra or something along those lines.. I forget the new name. It's outside of the campus exit across of the Bangor Savings bank and now has half a book store in it. The Dog and Paddys are going to be your best bet in Bangor. Try Impanea (sp?) next to Paddys or Reverend Noble above. Seeing "hot" girls in groups with guys..well welcome to a smaller city. Most people in Bangor know each other either directly or indirectly so seeing people "group" together inadvertently is going to happen.

In regards to dating sites.. I have nothing wrong with them, but if you hold your standards so high maybe you should get off them. Attractive females generally know they are, and by default have no use for an internet medium to find guys. Guys find them. Lower your standards or troll the grocery isles. I routinely see beautiful women all over Maine. They are here. Stop looking so hard and maybe your next cup of coffee might bring you one.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozey View Post
Try Bear Brew in Orono.. or the old Ushies..107 ultra or something along those lines.. I forget the new name. It's outside of the campus exit across of the Bangor Savings bank and now has half a book store in it. The Dog and Paddys are going to be your best bet in Bangor. Try Impanea (sp?) next to Paddys or Reverend Noble above. Seeing "hot" girls in groups with guys..well welcome to a smaller city. Most people in Bangor know each other either directly or indirectly so seeing people "group" together inadvertently is going to happen.

In regards to dating sites.. I have nothing wrong with them, but if you hold your standards so high maybe you should get off them. Attractive females generally know they are, and by default have no use for an internet medium to find guys. Guys find them. Lower your standards or troll the grocery isles. I routinely see beautiful women all over Maine. They are here. Stop looking so hard and maybe your next cup of coffee might bring you one.
au contraire....often times men and women on dating sites work a lot and see dating sites as the most efficient way to meet someone. Just because someone is on a dating site, doesn't mean they are physically unattractive--and the opposite is also true. They may not have time to troll the bars. Maine's population being what it is the search area needs to be broadened to at least 100 miles from 04401. Face it--in Maine you've gotta be willing to drive and not expect everything to be at your fingertips.

For the OP--Laguna Blue. One of the best ways for a man to meet women is to take dance classes and it's great exercise. Start with swing dance lessons...works for many styles of music and women LOVE a great dance partner. I've seen a bunch of dancers at the Ramada on Thursday nights....might want to check it out. Start having fun and being fun and happy so women will be drawn to you. Maybe you (LagunaBlue) is exuding a subliminal message..."I'm from away and I think I'm too good for you." Nothing wrong with confidence as long as it doesn't crossover into arrogance. I get the impression that you (LagunaBlue) thinks he is quite a prize.

Back Door Dance Studio & Meadowbrook Reception Center (You don't have to take a partner with you.)

Libitzki School of Dance in Ellsworth 207 667-3039 (You don't have to take a partner with you.)

The University of Maine - School of Performing Arts - Dance

Peakes Hill Lodge, Dedham--Scroll down the page for upcoming events. Contact Us / Upcoming Events - Peakes Hill Lodge

Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 PM

20 posts, read 86,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
au contraire....often times men and women on dating sites work a lot and see dating sites as the most efficient way to meet someone. Just because someone is on a dating site, doesn't mean they are physically unattractive--and the opposite is also true. They may not have time to troll the bars. Maine's population being what it is the search area needs to be broadened to at least 100 miles from 04401. Face it--in Maine you've gotta be willing to drive and not expect everything to be at your fingertips.

For the OP--Laguna Blue. One of the best ways for a man to meet women is to take dance classes and it's great exercise. Start with swing dance lessons...works for many styles of music and women LOVE a great dance partner. I've seen a bunch of dancers at the Ramada on Thursday nights....might want to check it out. Start having fun and being fun and happy so women will be drawn to you. Maybe you (LagunaBlue) is exuding a subliminal message..."I'm from away and I think I'm too good for you." Nothing wrong with confidence as long as it doesn't crossover into arrogance. I get the impression that you (LagunaBlue) thinks he is quite a prize.

Back Door Dance Studio & Meadowbrook Reception Center (You don't have to take a partner with you.)

Libitzki School of Dance in Ellsworth 207 667-3039 (You don't have to take a partner with you.)

Peakes Hill Lodge, Dedham--Scroll down the page for upcoming events. Contact Us / Upcoming Events - Peakes Hill Lodge
I was hardly saying all of the people on dating sites are unattractive. The OP said he used them and could not find anyone even remotely attractive. What I took from that is the type of woman he's looking for isn't going to be found online.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the response.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post

Indeed. I generally do not have a lot of time to be going to bars/clubs and searching for someone. Hence my having tried the dating sites.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm actually very laid-back and not arrogant at all.

And please, understand, I don't think I'm the best thing since sliced bread, however, I do know what I have to offer and who I am. I just have standards as most successful people do and know what I will not settle for.

If someone confuses that with arrogance, then that is stemming from [their] own personal insecurities.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Get a second part time job working nights, stock shelves at the grocery store or at wal-mart, work at Nicky's, do something that will put you in a position where you work with the public and will be able to get to know a lot of female co-workers. The reason I suggest this is because you are from away and do not know anyone in town yet because you have not been there long enough. Put yourself in a position that will allow you to get to know as many people as possible, bars are not the answer, all you meet is drunks.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
I was hardly saying all of the people on dating sites are unattractive. The OP said he used them and could not find anyone even remotely attractive. What I took from that is the type of woman he's looking for isn't going to be found online.
Well, that's good to hear. Maybe the OP should get involved with the Miss America Pageant. I'd like to see if he's "all that" himself. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Maybe he should be looking at their inner qualities and standards to see if they match his. What is your definition of successful, Mr. OP? What standards do you seek?

btw, have fun (Do you know how to have fun?) doing things you love and stop looking so hard...you'll probably find someone eventually....honestly, you probably should look in your home state for someone more like yourself who would be willing to relocate. Dance lessons are one of the best kept secrets for men to meet women; I'm trying to help you...make time....lots of fun....exercise.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 03-24-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times
Depends on what you mean by attractive? If you mean obese then any town should do.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
Depends on what you mean by attractive? If you mean obese then any town should do.
Ouch....about that status line of yours...

I think boozy (the 2nd response) gave you the best advice. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area