Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,555 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a new poster but have been reading for a couple of weeks. We are looking to buy some land in Maine to get away on weekends in the summer, and possibly retire there in the long run. We are from Massachusetts and are pretty sick of all the regulations here, but need to stay for our jobs and the kids' school, for now.

My question is, is it crazy to go look at raw land in the winter? We are looking at large pieces of land (>20 acres) with some sort of stream/brook frontage. My husband feels that we won't get to see where the wet spots are. On the other hand, I would like to see what the stream looks like in the winter and make sure it doesn't freeze over. I am not really concerned about wetlands too much, as long as there is one little spot we can put a camp on.

And if you have any ideas of a good small town where land is cheap and they leave you alone, I would appreciate suggestions too!! I'm currently looking online at land in Burnham, Hartland, Abbot, and Bradford. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
I wouldn't mind seeing the land in the winter, but you do need to be able to see the wet areas. Late spring would be a good time to take a walk around, especially the Bradford one.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:22 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
The stream doesn't freeze over? I don't think I've ever seen a stream in Maine that doesn't usually freeze over during the winter.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Our land borders the Penobscot River, and we have two streams that flow across our land.

Soon you will be able to walk across the river. You can already walk across our streams.

Four inches of ice and 2 foot of snow will tend to do that to a stream.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,555 times
Ah ok, sorry, my inexperience is showing, LOL. Thanks for the responses, I think maybe waiting for spring is a good idea then... So what month would you say I could see the streams not frozen and detect wet areas? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
By August, whatever is going to dry up, has done so. Any area that is truly wet, will be wet in June and possibly July. This is only if you want to know for sure what *could* be wet, at any time of year. If you are looking at land that has a brook or stream, the land next to the water could be wet well into May and June. Usually, knowing wetland botany (can look up online) will tell you where to delineate any wetlands. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:53 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
I was in Fort Kent yesterday morning, jumped out of bed and the thermometer said 32 below zero FFFFFFFF. The breeze undoubtedly kicked it down to the high 50's below zero with windchill. And the Aroostook was still flowing. Boy, the Piscataquis is going to be a problem, I commented, this spring, as we drove over it headed back to the Bangor area. And yeah, you really should see what's up in the alders when its at its worst. Not when it's hidden by snow and ice.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Follow the forums, when fiddleheads pop-up in the spring, that is a prime time to get out and look at land.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the land in the winter, but you do need to be able to see the wet areas. Late spring would be a good time to take a walk around, especially the Bradford one.
I would second this. My husband once owned a hunting camp in Bradford. It is on a discontinued town road that was a real mess in the spring. He had to haul our tractor up and do a lot of work on the road. The rest of the land was good, but the road in was a mess.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 AM

134 posts, read 282,441 times
Aside from a stream, I would not buy any land unless I were able to see it when the ground is clear, to check out boundaries and perhaps strange things you might see when there is no snow on the ground. Make more than one trip... different seasons... don't rush into something.... and get a survey. Good luck! Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area