Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:42 PM

160 posts, read 354,976 times

Advertisements

well, anyway, this was my experience of living in Maine. And Kennubunkport is in Maine. I am sorry my experience isn't what others expect or want to hear, but, I don't appreciate being called a liar. As far as I care, Maine can go off the map and take its snotty people with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
I too, lived in Maine for about 15 years. I didn't care for the weather, as it was quite cool in the summer and COLD in the winter. It didn't help that I have always had a problem with cold weather. If you pronounce your "r" it's a dead give away: you're from away. It used to bother me when people would say to my face "oh, you're from away." , as if I've just been released from an asylum of some sort. Finally, I would just come back with "no, I'm from planet earth!" ...
I lived in Maine as well, and I guess I don't understand why stating, "Oh, you're from away" would bother you like that. It's a fricken ice breaker, and considering that Mainers DON'T warm up to us strangers all that quickly all the time, I consider it a positive that they said that because it indicates to me that the lines of communication were open.

Quote:
forget hot/humid you get one day out of the entire summer that reaches 80 degrees.
For some of us, that was one of the best things about Maine. I'd MUCH rather experience that than the bowels of hell that I lived in before I moved to Maine. Regardless, everyone has their weather preferences, but that's not the fault of the people of Maine.

Quote:
well, anyway, this was my experience of living in Maine. And Kennubunkport is in Maine. I am sorry my experience isn't what others expect or want to hear, but, I don't appreciate being called a liar. As far as I care, Maine can go off the map and take its snotty people with it!
Snotty people? Really? Snotty? Cold and aloof more than most of us not from Maine are used to? Yes. Hard to get to know? Yep. (For the most part, some Mainers are actually quite welcoming from the start.) Don't throw a block party and knock on your door or call you every 5 hours? Nope. Nothing wrong with that.

You know what Maine has? A "live and let live" mentality. For those of us who are not from there, for those of us who are used to people just talking to us out of nowhere, (and it happens to me a LOT which always puzzles me), it is hard to get used to, no argument there.

But snotty?

Absolutely not. Maybe if you respond to people with, "I'm from planet Earth" when they say, "Oh! You're from away" the problem isn't the Mainers.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I lived in Maine as well, and I guess I don't understand why stating, "Oh, you're from away" would bother you like that. It's a fricken ice breaker, and considering that Mainers DON'T warm up to us strangers all that quickly all the time, I consider it a positive that they said that because it indicates to me that the lines of communication were open.

For some of us, that was one of the best things about Maine. I'd MUCH rather experience that than the bowels of hell that I lived in before I moved to Maine. Regardless, everyone has their weather preferences, but that's not the fault of the people of Maine.

Snotty people? Really? Snotty? Cold and aloof more than most of us not from Maine are used to? Yes. Hard to get to know? Yep. (For the most part, some Mainers are actually quite welcoming from the start.) Don't throw a block party and knock on your door or call you every 5 hours? Nope. Nothing wrong with that.

You know what Maine has? A "live and let live" mentality. For those of us who are not from there, for those of us who are used to people just talking to us out of nowhere, (and it happens to me a LOT which always puzzles me), it is hard to get used to, no argument there.

But snotty?

Absolutely not. Maybe if you respond to people with, "I'm from planet Earth" when they say, "Oh! You're from away" the problem isn't the Mainers.

thanks rebuttng that post, you made all good points..i couldn't help but think (below)

sometimes we mainers say "oh, you are from away " its more polite than saying "oh I see you have a hair across your azz"

Old 09-30-2015, 06:41 AM

506 posts, read 683,572 times
Quote:
There are many places where you will fit in well........

Old 09-30-2015, 01:10 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

But snotty?

Very Well Stated !!

Old 12-25-2015, 08:06 PM

7,038 posts, read 6,288,650 times
Gulp, us Minnesotians are like that, to an extent. I'm accepted here because my mom grew up here & my brother & sister live on the family farm 9 miles out of town. But, without all that, I wouldn't fit in.

I lived in the city from the time I was 16 until I was 59 or 60 so I definitely was not 'from here'. Even when I lived in South Minneapolis & moved to NE Minneapolis, I was not 'from there'. (There are only a few miles between them).

I fit in here fine but I am a disappointment because I'm more reclusive than my neighbors would like. I'd probably fit in great in Maine.

Something to think about & maybe investigate. I am looking for a final retirement home.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:24 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Maine has a huge variety of outdoor activities to enjoy and we still have towns with plenty of freedom to enjoy your own lifestyle. Some towns have no zoning so you won't have to deal with nosey municipal enforcement authorities. Other towns have squads of enforcement officers making sure you don't do what your neighbor is allowed to do on the other side of an invisible zoning line. Do your research carefully before buying.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:01 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Buh-bye now!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine has a huge variety of outdoor activities to enjoy and we still have towns with plenty of freedom to enjoy your own lifestyle. Some towns have no zoning so you won't have to deal with nosey municipal enforcement authorities. Other towns have squads of enforcement officers making sure you don't do what your neighbor is allowed to do on the other side of an invisible zoning line. Do your research carefully before buying.
Ah, the fallacy continues. Where's that town with 147 different zones? Bangor always had a single Code Enforcement Officer (Danny Wellington). Nosey? Maybe so you won't start an automotive junkyard next to someone's home, build an industrial facility next to a quiet neighborhood or just run your straightpipe into the lake because you have a "right" to. "Freedom" as some seem to want to define it means the right to pollute and interfere with neighbors with impunity. EVERY town has construction standards dictated by someone (local or State) so you don't get to build an unsafe pallet house and flip it to some unsuspecting flatlander. Now, other than maybe Portland, where land, peace and tranquility are at a premium, where are these jack-boot "squads" of enforcement officers? I've never run in to anybody over the years that had as much problem with health and safety codes and a little preventative zoning to stop abusers, because they WILL abuse and foist themselves on their neighbors if not reined in.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
I bet they are in that town where those malefactors are running raw sewage into the town reservoir. Everybody likes clean air and clean water and soon there may be no more pulp mills on the Penobscot. Victory for the environmental industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area