Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:14 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times

Advertisements

Just travelled through Maine the other day. Arrived in Bangor late at night in the rain (nothing new, it always seems to rain on that leg of my trips through there). Called a motel from what I think was about a mile away and got a room for me and my dog .. asked for directions .. and headed off down 395 to the first exit (1a). Blocked off by night crews doing something .. not sure what .. lots of cones and concrete barracades and lights and noise but who knows what they were actually doing. So I took the 2nd exit and called the motel again because it didn't seem that road would wind around back to where I needed to go (Main St.). Was told to head back UP 395 and take exit 1b (opposite side exit from 1a supposedly so directions were mostly just backward from there). Off I went to find that 1b was also blocked - same story as above. One can't really see that is the case when heading the other direction (unless one was looking for it I suppose) because there is a bit of distance between the two.

On ramps were fine to 395 but you certainly could not get off where you needed to get off and in the dark in the rain at (now) almost 2 a.m. after a long day of driving ... with no gps, with having to stop to make phone calls to the motel (I made 6 before I finally was directed by the back roads and found the motel) it was not an easy task to find my destination.

I don't know my way around Bangor - I just know how to get to there and then how to head down to 95. I didn't know there are two bridges (still don't know where the other one is mind you .. I kept going round in circles that took me back to the same, under construction bridge area, no matter how I followed the directions I was given). It all would have been very funny had I not been so tired at the time. I really need to go back in daylight and see what the heck I was actually doing there - and find that other route so I will know what to do in future. The motel was no more than 1 block off 395 so it was an easy out in the morning but took 2 hours to find at night under these conditions.

Two things were good though. The motel obviously wanted my business because they put up with (even suggested I continue to call them) my nuisance calls for directions. I could not just stay on the line with them though (which they wanted me to do) because that is illegal (to talk on a hand held phone while driving). Secondly, I also stopped twice to ask for directions from the road crews and they were very polite and tried to be helpful (but, the reality was that if one didn't know where one was going in the first place, their directions were unfortunately useless .. but they did try! )

All Mainers I met on this trip were VERY friendly. Thank you all. I made sure to spend money in your state so they can keep that construction stuff going. My only complaint is that whoever decides what projects are going to be done on the roads (especially at night) should think twice about blocking off both opposite side exits at the same time - locals may know how to get around that, but not all people travelling on your roads are local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 AM

565 posts, read 935,249 times
It's perfectly legal for now to talk on the phone and drive in Maine. Something tells me this isnt going to be forever though.
If you travel to the state often, I would recommend a Maine Atlas.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:34 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I have lived many other places. I find Mainers are usually very polite and helpful. I do not see why posters want to present Mainers as 'standoffish' or rude.

I do not have a 'smart phone' my phone is the dumb kind. Though I have seen what smart phones can do. All of them seem to have various GPS apps that you can tell where you want to go and then set it down, and they will talk you through the route.

I am glad that you had a nice experience in Maine. I hope that you can visit sometime when the weather is nice. Maybe February

Old 09-28-2016, 08:58 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
From 395 you can see a Huey, a tank and a Jeep at the Cole Museum. It is not easy on a bright sunny day to get from 395 to the museum.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:29 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Thanks, guys.

... inthetrees .. thanks .. didn't know that although honestly I doubt I could have held onto my cell, talked, chewed gum, patted my head and rubbed my stomach at the same time that night .. was too tired .. oh right .. and I was supposed to be driving too.

I have (somewhere but who knows where) all sorts of maps - which I cannot read while driving in the dark in the rain. I don't like GPS/nav systems ... so I don't have one of those with me usually. My phone is a flip phone with all data turned off. I even have truckers maps but ... ... seriously I was not 'complaining' .. more just relating my experience. Actually I was very calm that night which surprised even me. It was all just a bit surreal for some reason.

I will have to look for that tank sometime. I have ridden in a Huey and a Jeep.

Submariner - People are people. You get a cross section everywhere. I have met closed or taciturn people all over the place and chatty and friendly ones too. Guess some just hit the wrong ones on the wrong day. I have met all kinds in Maine but I have also met them many other places. Heck, most of us are jolly and helpful on some days and not so happy with the world on others. But, I do have to say I got lucky that particular night that all of us were in good moods and feeling right with the world despite the weather and being lost etc. - it really helped.

As for 'visiting again, sometime' .. I drive through Maine at least 4 times a year (and yes, I have even been there in February) - and sometimes spend an extra day loitering along the coast when I can. When are you guys coming up to the far northeast coast of Nova Scotia? I recommend January.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Just travelled through Maine the other day. Arrived in Bangor late at night in the rain (nothing new, it always seems to rain on that leg of my trips through there). Called a motel from what I think was about a mile away and got a room for me and my dog .. asked for directions .. and headed off down 395 to the first exit (1a). Blocked off by night crews doing something .. not sure what .. lots of cones and concrete barracades and lights and noise but who knows what they were actually doing. So I took the 2nd exit and called the motel again because it didn't seem that road would wind around back to where I needed to go (Main St.). Was told to head back UP 395 and take exit 1b (opposite side exit from 1a supposedly so directions were mostly just backward from there). Off I went to find that 1b was also blocked - same story as above. One can't really see that is the case when heading the other direction (unless one was looking for it I suppose) because there is a bit of distance between the two.

On ramps were fine to 395 but you certainly could not get off where you needed to get off and in the dark in the rain at (now) almost 2 a.m. after a long day of driving ... with no gps, with having to stop to make phone calls to the motel (I made 6 before I finally was directed by the back roads and found the motel) it was not an easy task to find my destination.

I don't know my way around Bangor - I just know how to get to there and then how to head down to 95. I didn't know there are two bridges (still don't know where the other one is mind you .. I kept going round in circles that took me back to the same, under construction bridge area, no matter how I followed the directions I was given). It all would have been very funny had I not been so tired at the time. I really need to go back in daylight and see what the heck I was actually doing there - and find that other route so I will know what to do in future. The motel was no more than 1 block off 395 so it was an easy out in the morning but took 2 hours to find at night under these conditions.

Two things were good though. The motel obviously wanted my business because they put up with (even suggested I continue to call them) my nuisance calls for directions. I could not just stay on the line with them though (which they wanted me to do) because that is illegal (to talk on a hand held phone while driving). Secondly, I also stopped twice to ask for directions from the road crews and they were very polite and tried to be helpful (but, the reality was that if one didn't know where one was going in the first place, their directions were unfortunately useless .. but they did try! )

All Mainers I met on this trip were VERY friendly. Thank you all. I made sure to spend money in your state so they can keep that construction stuff going. My only complaint is that whoever decides what projects are going to be done on the roads (especially at night) should think twice about blocking off both opposite side exits at the same time - locals may know how to get around that, but not all people travelling on your roads are local.
Unfortunately, that section is so busy during the day that they have to do work at night. I know they are digging up and replacing old piping on Broadway, but I'm not sure what they're doing out there. It's hard enough to see the cone lanes when it's not raining. Sometimes I think they could do a better job with detour signing.

I'm glad you got to meet the friendly Mainers. Most of us are.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:23 PM

106 posts, read 122,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

I take 395 to work every afternoon/evening so I kind of know how you feel. They're inconsistent about deciding which nights to close the exits and they don't even give drivers a warning.

As for navigating around Bangor, good luck. I've been living in this area for three years and I still get confused. The roads aren't as bad as Boston but the layout is essentially one giant spider web that stop at the river (or at least that's my way of seeing it). Also, I may be wrong but I don't think that driving while talking on the phone is illegal. Unless it's changed, I believe the law is that you have to be distracted while doing it for it to be illegal, (i.e. swerving in your lane, running stoplights, etc.).

I'm glad that you find us friendly, though

Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
Can you say G P S?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
All you need to know is the kenduskeag stream runs thru downtown bangor creating a steep valley and you just need to go downhill and will hit rt 2 or rt 1A along the penobscot and the center of bangor.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Unless the motel/hotel is a national chain, many of the offices are tucked in for the night by 9 p.m. so you were doing great at 2 a.m. (I tested this out myself by calling several places after 9 p.m. during the month of July.)

Coming into Brewer on Route 1A there is a fork in the road intersection and a Dunkin Donuts in the fork. On the left is a Hannaford grocery store. You can fork left and head toward the Chamberlain Bridge which used to be called the "new" bridge but... if you take the right fork you will head for the "NEWER" bridge--both take you across the river to Bangor. Taking the Chamberlain Bridge and continuing to drive; eventually you will go by the airport. Taking the newer bridge (Penobscot Bridge) go straight onto Broadway or bearing right after crossing the river will take you to Eastern Maine Medical Center among other places. Broadway (Rt. 15) and Union Street (Rt. 222) run more or less parallel. They are connected by Griffin Road out past the airport. Just a few helpful tidbits of info.

A GPS can be helpful, but somehow people managed to get around and find places without them for many years. A Delorme atlas could come in handy. https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DEL...?section=10096
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area