Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:03 PM

63 posts, read 136,494 times

Advertisements

I know this thread is quite old; however RBH, you mentioned that you were pleased with the special ed in Old Town. Can you elaborate? I have a 6 year old that is thrown back and forth between mild Autism and Developmental Delays every time we move. How are the older grades? We have a soon to be 6th grader and 8th grader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,143,202 times
Mine was in high school, I don't know about the elementry or middle schools.
Mrs. Wade, did the high school program when my son was there. She let the children work at their pace, and if they needed more time to finish something she allowed them the time, so they had the full understanding, and a solid building fountation. She got my son into 2 regular classes, by doing this.
The IEPs were very productive, the whole team was there, with everyone having equal say in how we proceed to provide the best education for my son. I've sat in other IEPs where they were one sided conversations, not everyone came, and it was more of a formality than a serious meeting.
When it came time for him to graduate, and figure out what he would do next, they cared. It wasn't well, he's out of the system, it's not our problem. We were given options, and they set up appointments for us, they did some more testing to see what type of programs he would qualify for. I was very please.
My son just graduated the advace training in auto mechanics through job corps. He's home now, work a temp job, until next month, when they (job corps) have him lined up with a job in his field.
One of the concerns I (and I think most) special ed parents have, is what is to become of our children as they get older, will they be able to make it in this world on their own. Mrs. Wade in the way she ran her classroom, taught her students how to ask for help when they needed it, and how to problem solve, and stand up for themselves.
Like I said, I was impressed, they (she) did a great job with my son.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the response. I am not sure why I hadn't considered Old Town before now. For some reason I assumed it was a very small town with nothing. Not sure why I thought so.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:38 PM

264 posts, read 756,162 times
I substitute teach in the Old Town school district. I have 3 kids (1 in special education but we live in another district). I would send my kids to Old Town in a heartbeat. I think it is a great school system. I mostly sub for the Old Town Elementary and Middle School. I love all the teachers and principles I have met in the Middle school where your older ones would go and the Elementary seems to have a great plan in place to help kids who are behind. I am a certified Ed Tech 3 and have been called in to Old Town elementary to work with special Ed many times as well. Great school!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 PM

37,294 posts, read 61,076,201 times
Old Town and Orono do go hand-in-hand in many ways, they are like 'twin cities'. They share an 'island' called Marsh Island. They both have high schools, that have traditionally shared facilities [one HS has a pool the other HS funds a dive-team coach]. Both towns see a major source of revenue from apartments leased to university students. Both towns have PDs that are five times larger than their residential population requires; both PDs focus a major part of their attention on the 'transient' college student population. It is common for Old Town high school kids to get p/t jobs working on campus.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 AM

Thank you all for your info. It is certainly coming down to the wire. We are looking in all directions. We will be there in about 5 weeks and it seems the rental market is starting to close up fast.....

Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,596,796 times
Nail something down now or the students and faculty will have them all.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Absolutely, put an app in yesterday hope to hear something soon. Nice family home in Carmel. Keep your toes and fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area