Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,044,123 times

Advertisements

Oh right that was me. Even though I was drunk and depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,917,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
i started a baseball topic today. Just let me and Twista do what we do. No need for you to get involved. Not that serious
Who does or doesn't get involved isn't up to you. You are trolling multiple threads in this forum. If that gives you some kind of pleasure, by all means keep doing it.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM

My pee. Your coffee. Tomorrow morning. Drink it up, PPandsportsguy!

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,903,322 times
(Bring The Contact on 6/`16)"'Actually he's 8-5, but OK... I expected him to have a dozen wins at this point. It doesn't always work out that way. His 2.36 ERA is a dead giveaway that it's mostly not on him. The greatest teams of all-time go into slumps, and this team is coming out of one now. At the end of the year he's still going to be the best pitcher in baseball, and he's still gonna have the best shot at getting 25 wins. "

Given that Halladay is still at 8 wins, and with Utley gone, he'll be hard-pressed to get 17 wins.

I doubt we'll see another 25 game winner, only 32-33 starts per year, going to lose some, pen will not hold some others, and some no decisions, too. Few pitchers get far beyond 25 decisions now.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 AM

They didn't have the Phillies highlights on ESPN last night. Two nights in a row now. Be sure to point this out for when Sgt Stupid comes in here and tells us ESPN is secretely all Phillies fans.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,826,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
They didn't have the Phillies highlights on ESPN last night. Two nights in a row now. Be sure to point this out for when Sgt Stupid comes in here and tells us ESPN is secretely all Phillies fans.

Because the Phillies are SLUMPING and they want to brush it under the rug like it's not happening. Philadelphia Comcast Sportsnet us doing the same thing. You know what was on DNL on friday??? Golf and discussion of the NBA Free Agency-lol MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-04-2010 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: language

Old 07-04-2010, 12:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,903,322 times
The Phillies are becoming a non-factor, thus attention is shifting to the teams still in the race.
The lineup wasn't hitting with Utley and Polanco, and the bench was never a strength. With Utley essentially gone for most of the season remaining, its very likely that the Phillies will be outscored (in sum) for the remaining half of the season.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:43 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,917,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The Phillies are becoming a non-factor, thus attention is shifting to the teams still in the race.
The lineup wasn't hitting with Utley and Polanco, and the bench was never a strength. With Utley essentially gone for most of the season remaining, its very likely that the Phillies will be outscored (in sum) for the remaining half of the season.
The Phillies are exactly one loss in back of your precious Mets in the standings with half a season to go. Only someone who doesn't know a thing about baseball would say that the Phillies are even close to a non-factor or even suggest that they aren't in the race. Take that however you want to take it. What will you post when the Mets lose out the rest of their season series with them like they do every year? Then again, the first priority for the Mets should be to try and figure out how to beat the Marlins and the Nationals.

You wanna know why people don't like Mets fans? Because of comments like yours. I will absolutely guarantee you that you will disappear from this site sometime in September when the Mets do what they usually do, IF they make it to September.

Like I said on another thread, after the start the Mets had you should be satisfied with the third place finish you're going to get. You can start talking about other teams being non-factors when you watch your team actually win something again.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,237,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
With Utley essentially gone for most of the season remaining, its very likely that the Phillies will be outscored (in sum) for the remaining half of the season.
Let's see if that's true

Thus far the Phillies have scored 379 runs and allowed 330. That's a difference of 49 runs.

According to Fangraphs

Thus far Chase has been worth 12.7 runs above average with his bat.

He's been worth 8.3 runs defensively. However, UZR isn't effective over small samples like half of a season. In recent seasons Chase has been between 10 and 15 runs above replacement defensively so 8.3 this season is probably a bit high, but not ridiculous.

That gives him a total value of 20 runs.

Now, according to Baseball-Reference

Chase has been worth 11 batting runs and 4 fielding runs for a total value of 15 runs

So...it's probably safe to say that Chase has been worth about 15-20 runs above replacement this season, in half of a season.

Since the Phillies have scored 49 more runs this season than their opponents (with Chase) if you remove the 20 runs that Utley has accounted for they still would have outscored their opponents by 29 runs.

EDIT: Doing the same exercise with Polanco we get

Fangraphs
4 batting runs
6 fielding runs

Baseball-Reference
3 batting runs
-1 fielding run

So Placido's been worth between 2 and 10 runs, we'll be optimistic (or is it pessimistic?) and call it 10 runs

49 more runs scored so far
-20 for Utley
-10 for Polanco
Still leaves the Phillies scoring 19 more runs than their opponents the rest of the season

Considering that none of their players (off the top of my head) have been playing over their heads the first half of the season and some guys (Howard, Werth) are likely to play better in the second half, I'd say that the Phillies will not be outscored in the second half of the season.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,826,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
The Phillies are exactly one loss in back of your precious Mets in the standings with half a season to go. Only someone who doesn't know a thing about baseball would say that the Phillies are even close to a non-factor or even suggest that they aren't in the race. Take that however you want to take it. What will you post when the Mets lose out the rest of their season series with them like they do every year? Then again, the first priority for the Mets should be to try and figure out how to beat the Marlins and the Nationals.

You wanna know why people don't like Mets fans? Because of comments like yours. I will absolutely guarantee you that you will disappear from this site sometime in September when the Mets do what they usually do, IF they make it to September.

Like I said on another thread, after the start the Mets had you should be satisfied with the third place finish you're going to get. You can start talking about other teams being non-factors when you watch your team actually win something again.

The Phillies are chasing the Braves not the Mets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball