Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,234,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
If Troy Glaus can stay healthy, if Martin Prado (a career backup) can keep having an MVP type year and a few other unlikely variables fall into place, including beating the Phils for the division, bless their hearts. They deserve to win the WS.
Can't predict Glaus' health

Prado, I don't know much about him, so I'll entertain myself by taking a look

Martin Prado » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

First thing too look at
BABIP
2010: .363
At first glance that looks pretty high. But his career BABIP is .344. Some hitters can maintain a high BABIP (see Ichiro). They usually do this by hitting groundballs (groundballs have a higher batting average than flyballs) and by being fast (more infield hits)

Prado does have his highest career ground ball rate this year (49%) and a career high line drive rate as well (21%). That means a career low flyball rate as well (29% + 10% Infield flies).

So, Prado does look like a guy who should maintain a high BABIP, so the batting average, though it may come down a bit, isn't really that flukey.

The problem with hitting a lot of groundballs is that ground balls mostly end up as singles, with some doubles, rare triples, and extremely rare home runs. So, power suffers. Prado does have a little pop with 7 home runs thus far. Is his power likely to continue?

His home run per flyball rate (important because he doesn't hit a lot of flyballs) is 10%. It was 10% last year as well. Big strong guys, Adam Dunn for example, hit more home runs per fly ball (Dunn is 22% for his career). They also hit more flyballs which is why Dunn hits more home runs than Prado. So, the flyball rate looks ok. I don't expect any drop off him home runs for Prado.

His slugging percentage is .474 this year. His career is .450. His minor league slugging numbers were gererally below .400. It is a bit odd that a guy gains power when he comes to the major leagues. He didn't become a major league regular until he was 25 though, and player's power generally starts to increase between 25 - 27, so that could be a factor.

So far, so good...but...

His walk and strike out rates are going the wrong way.
2008: 8.3-BB 12.7-K
2009: 7.2-BB 13.1-K
2010: 6.0-BB 14.0-K

Walking less and striking out more is rarely a good thing.
Why is that happening?
2008: 18.8%-OSwing, 40.5%-Swing, 87.8%-Contact
2009: 20.8%-OSwing, 40.6%-Swing, 89.6%-Contact
2010: 25%-OSwing, 40.8%-Swing, 91%-Contact
OSwing=Swings on pitches outside the strike zone
Swing=Total % of pitches swung at
Contact=% of pitches swung at made contact with

So, He's swinning at more pitches outside the zone. That has a tendency to make guys walk less, and strike out more. And is usually a bad sign.

I'm gonna let Prado slide a bit on this though. Since his contact percent is rising, and his BABIP is rising, and his power is rising instead of assuming that Prado is having trouble recognizing pitches I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he is just being more aggressive.

So, what do I make of Prado? He's legit. I don't see any reason for him to suffer any serious decline. I do think he's playing to the absolute top level of his ability, and he's more likely to decline slightly than improve much more for the rest of this season.

He doesn't look like a great defensive player. His career UZR at 2nd is -7 runs, but trending upwards. He's probably an averagish defender. But with a bat that's well above league average he's been worth 2.9 WAR so far this season.

That's very good, just short of excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,958,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because they lost ONE game?
the Braves have a habit of taking the lead and not being able to sustain it. Not saying they're not a good team, not saying that they can't stay in first for a while.

All I said was that they won't be able to sustain a 2 game lead for the rest of the season.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
the only stat that really matters to me is that the Phillies' record right now is the same place it was last year even with the line up/injury issues.

I don't think the Braves have it in them to sustain a 2 game lead over the Mets or the Phils past the all-star break.
Regardless of what happens in this Philly series, the Braves will be okay. The problem is that ATL had its third best pitcher performing against Philadelphia's number 1. The crazy thing about it is that I think that our 4 and 5 pitchers will perform well tonight and ATL will put Philly back 6 games and Cincy will probably do a little kicking too (because y'all are down right now). Okay, so Hanson's our #1, Hudson's the #2, and Lowe's the #3; they'll go up against the Mets after this series. ATL avoids Santana and faces Dickey, Takahashi, and Pelfrey...I feel confident, Glaus should be back and the Reds are playing well and I think they can take out some of ATL's rivals to close out the first half of the season. (please correct me if I'm wrong regarding the starting pitching rotations for Philly and NY).

Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,916,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
ATL avoids Santana and faces Dickey, Takahashi, and Pelfrey
Santana is pitching Sunday vs. the Braves. They're skipping Takahashi.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,814,079 times
Good Win Braves, now go for the series win tomorrow. Will this game be the first highlight on SportsCenter Tonight???

We will see in 11 mins

Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,042,632 times
If it isn't make a thread about it so you can make a bigger ass out of yourself than you usually do just in here...

Old 07-06-2010, 10:07 PM
FBJ

Ok surprisingly the Braves Game was 1st,

Old 07-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Phillies-Braves was the first baseball highlight.

Kill yourself.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Phillies-Braves was the first baseball highlight.

Kill yourself.

You don't have to be so nasty

Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 PM

You slander my city, teams and fellow fans all day everyday and you make us look like morons with having it listed as your location. I reserve every right to be nasty to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball