Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
As a Phillies fan the most offensive fans are with the Redsox and Yankees followed by the Mets and Cubs. Dodgers fans can be annoying but I don't see that much of them up close and personal so it's not as bad.

Phillies fans get the typical "Philadelphia fans are the worst" but they're really not the same fans as the Eagles and Flyers . . . especially since the move to CBP.
Are you sure?
Why would Phillies fans be any different than Eagles and Flyers fans?
One thing I do not get about Philly is why you hear so much about Iggle and Flyer fans but little about Phillies and Sixer fans....are they just not as passionate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 06:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
New York, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, and LA fans have just as bad a reputation as Philly does.
Bull.
Philly fans have THE WORST reputation in sports, by far.
Not even close to any other town.
Only a biased Philly fan would argue otherwise.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Bull.
Philly fans have THE WORST reputation in sports, by far.
Not even close to any other town.
Only a biased Philly fan would argue otherwise.
The reputation is not reality. I would venture to say the worst fans are in places that don't support their teams....places like Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington, Atlanta. Dodgers games have also been known for all sorts of thuggery, stabbings, etc, but those incidents don't get publicized as much as if a Philly fan farts at a game.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 AM

192 posts, read 436,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The reputation is not reality. I would venture to say the worst fans are in places that don't support their teams....places like Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington, Atlanta. Dodgers games have also been known for all sorts of thuggery, stabbings, etc, but those incidents don't get publicized as much as if a Philly fan farts at a game.
But, but, but - they BOOED Santa Claus (in 1968 ) - they MUST be the worst fans!

A few years ago I was in a bar here in Houston, and a local patron found out that I was a Philadelphia sports fan and of course brought up the Santa Claus incident (as does every single lazy journalist looking for an easy characterization of the Philadelphia fan base). When I tried to explain the details of the incident, including the fact that it had occurred before either of us had been born, he absolutely refused to believe me and in fact got rather agitated (I think he had been drinking for a while longer than I had). Another successful brainwashing, I guess.

Based on my own personal experiences, I would say that the fan base in Philadelphia is similar to those in other cities in the NE corridor (BOS, NY, DC), no better or worse. The fans do seem more passionate than what I've seen in Houston, but with that intensity does come a certain level of bad behavior (often alcohol-fueled).

Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
The worst baseball fans? Tampa-they don't care about the team....NEVER go to games-it's pathetic

Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
The worst baseball fans? Tampa-they don't care about the team....NEVER go to games-it's pathetic
I agree...their attendance is sad, especially when you look at how good of a team they have.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post

Based on my own personal experiences, I would say that the fan base in Philadelphia is similar to those in other cities in the NE corridor (BOS, NY, DC), no better or worse. The fans do seem more passionate than what I've seen in Houston, but with that intensity does come a certain level of bad behavior (often alcohol-fueled).
Which is probably why, more often than not, the bad behavior happens at Eagles games. Football Sundays are more of a day-long event, with tailgating and drinking starting in the morning. But I took my then-7-year-old to an Eagles game last year with no problems at all. Actually, all of the fans around us were really nice to him. So there may be some incidents here and there, but its not the norm.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I agree...their attendance is sad, especially when you look at how good of a team they have.
I know it's the bright spot of being in Tampa-and nobody come to the games-I've been to 15 games-it's so disgusting...

Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,655 times
The City of Brotherly Shove.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Cincy Fans! did we cover this already? first place and still drawing 12K on a week night meanwhile the brewers are way out of it and still drawing 34K on week night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball