U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Stephen Strasburg be in the All Star Game?
Yes. 10 38.46%
No. 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

20,907 posts, read 39,189,628 times

Advertisements

Should Stephen Strasburg be in the All Star Game?

This writer at Bloomberg thinks 'yes' and that maybe Strasburg should actually be the starting pitcher for the NL squad.

What do you think?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,536,543 times
I voted no, and I'm one of his biggest supporters here. He hasn't paid his dues yet. He'll be in plenty of All-Star games in his career, probably as soon as next year.

And as far as him starting, no way. Even if he IS on this team this year, no way. Not when he's on a strict innings count. Both managers have said that this year they want their starters to go five, with everyone else they can get into the game going one inning. If he makes it now, he's taking a spot away from someone who has pitched well but doesn't have the buzz around them.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,864,869 times
Yes, I think he should be....he's one of the better pitchers in the league this year. Now, should he start??? No way. I think Ubaldo Jimenez deserves to start, as much as I want Roy Halladay to be the starter.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:57 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,149,589 times
since the object now is to win, then yes he should.

As a fan of the AL, the thought of Lincecum, Jiminez, Halliday and Strasburg all pitching for the NL scares me a little. If the NL manager is smart and does't care about stepping on toes, he should throw each of them 2 innings, and pick his best closer for 1.

Seriously if those 4 are right, how many runs could the AL possibly score?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,802,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Should Stephen Strasburg be in the All Star Game?
Not ahead of Mike Leake.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM

299 posts, read 809,065 times
He shouldn't be an All-Star because by the time the game gets here, he'll only have been in the big leagues for a month and made 7 starts. That would be the equivalent of putting a rookie position player in the game who has only started in 30 games and has less than 100 career plate appearances.

Something we also have to look at is the fact that in 3 of his first 4 starts, he faced some very weak lineups (PIT, CLE, KC). I'm not sure how he would fare if he had to face hitters like Evan Longoria, Robinson Cano, Kevin Youkilis and Ichiro in the All-Star Game...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
I not only think he should be selected, he should also start and be required to face both leagues on his own. Seems to be the only fair way to do this.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,397,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I voted no, and I'm one of his biggest supporters here. He hasn't paid his dues yet. He'll be in plenty of All-Star games in his career, probably as soon as next year.

And as far as him starting, no way. Even if he IS on this team this year, no way. Not when he's on a strict innings count. Both managers have said that this year they want their starters to go five, with everyone else they can get into the game going one inning. If he makes it now, he's taking a spot away from someone who has pitched well but doesn't have the buzz around them.
I agree with you. He came in too late. He hasn't fully earned his spot. Yeah he play's like an all-star and i love him. But he was in the dugout on opening day. He doesn't deserve it. Next year. Hell yeah. He should get it. But not this year. Came in too late in the season.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,797,161 times
Yes!

If the All-Star game is an exhibition game for the fans then he should absolutely play, and probably start. He's the biggest draw in baseball right now.

If the All-Star game is a hotly contested game to decide home field advantage for the world series and both teams should do everything in their power to win, then probably yes. He hasn't shown anything to lead me to believe that he wouldn't be one of the top NL pitchers over the course of one inning. Jiminez of Halladay should draw the start.

Since the All-Star game is neither/both of those things he should be in. I think he is one of the best pitchers in the NL and I think he is one of the most interesting players in the league from a fan's perspective.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,382,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
since the object now is to win, then yes he should.

As a fan of the AL, the thought of Lincecum, Jiminez, Halliday and Strasburg all pitching for the NL scares me a little. If the NL manager is smart and does't care about stepping on toes, he should throw each of them 2 innings, and pick his best closer for 1.

Seriously if those 4 are right, how many runs could the AL possibly score?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball