Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,918,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That'll make your brain explode ...
I see you're from Cincinnati. A few years ago a bunch of us took a tour of every ballpark we could get to over the period of five or six days, and one of them we hit was Great American. I tried something there that I will reference here and you're probably one of the very few people who will know what I'm talking about. And I'll keep it on-topic by saying this this item should be incorporated into every stadium in the country. I tried one and ended up eating four more that day, and have not been able to find it anywhere since.

The Goetta Dog (had to look up the spelling). In fact I had probably a half dozen more food items with goetta in them over that 24 hours. One thing I learned is that everyone there had an opinion of this food; I would say 85% loved it and the rest hated it very much. I loved it.

I want to be able to go to Yankee Stadium or Citi Field or CBP in Philadelphia and buy a goetta dog, but it will never happen.

For everyone who doesn't know what it is, you're really missing out on something good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 PM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Wow, five goetta dogs and you lived to tell the tale. I'm impressed. There was a restaurant, long gone, that made goetta gyros. Too bad you missed that.

Thanks for your post; I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, even though I hate goetta.

I'm of the opinion that Cleveland Stadium Mustard should be incorporated into every stadium in the country, but to each their own! LOL

http://www.madeincleveland.com/products/stadmustardsm.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow, five goetta dogs and you lived to tell the tale. I'm impressed. There was a restaurant, long gone, that made goetta gyros. Too bad you missed that.

Thanks for your post; I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, even though I hate goetta.
LOL. I could see when I was there that it's definitely not for everybody. The goetta dogs weren't all downed at one time. It was spread out over time. It was a day game that I think went something like 16 innings and ended with the Reds winning 1-0. They must have sold a million of them that day. I enjoyed every bit of it.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Retractable roofs are almost a necessity in a stadium like Safeco in Seattle. The Mariners are a regional team, many folks, including myself, come from over 100 miles or more away to see a game. They need top be assured that after making that kind of trip, they're not going to be facing a rainout. All the rest of that stuff is garbage.
Agree, but perhaps a better design for foul poles that becomes a league-standard is in order. IIRC, there was a game this year where there was quite a bit of controversy over "was it a HR or a foul ball" but I can't recall for sure.

Domed stadiums would help a lot too in cold weather cities; may have prevented an entire 3-game series from being postponed by snow in Cleveland the other year.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,293,764 times
The only thing on the list that makes any sense would be retractable roofs. But even then, some places can live without them.

Could make an argument for FieldTurf in the domed parks, like Toronto and Tampa. But why convert what is natural grass now to artificial? Artificial is only for domes, or fields which get insane amounts of use and wear. More appropriate for football, like Foxboro and Pittsburgh for example.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 PM

453 posts, read 454,879 times
So nobody likes those center field pieces behind the fence like the homerun apple or the orange foul poles at Citi Field, huh? What about retractable roofs to prevent rain delay. There's really nothing wrong with artificial turf. I wasn't referring to AstroTurf; I'm talking about sports grass. It's the newer kind that's almost exactly like grass. Unlike, Astroturf it's not like a linoleum. The surface is at least 2 inches thick, and it's padded with rubber. Underneath is sand.

Like I said, it's better on your joints than natural grass and easier and cheaper to maintain. You don't have to water it everyday like you do grass which can be quite costly. I'm all about the practicality, and water is a valuable resource. Baseball fields consume about as much water as a golf course does. I don't know if any of you are aware, but the average golf course consumes more water per day than a household of four does in a year.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 PM

129 posts, read 190,806 times
This guys obviously a troll cause even the most gimmick-happy loons wouldn't seriously suggest blue colored grass ala Boise State to be used in baseball. There's no way this guy is legit.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaTwins View Post
This guys obviously a troll cause even the most gimmick-happy loons wouldn't seriously suggest blue colored grass ala Boise State to be used in baseball. There's no way this guy is legit.
I agree. I did humor them and reply to a few of these "How would you like..." posts, but at least at that point they were trolling about baseball. Lately it's not even on-topic anymore, talking about water consumption on golf courses and color combinations beyond their use in team uniforms. Has this person actually posted anything about the game of baseball?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I agree. I did humor them and reply to a few of these "How would you like..." posts, but at least at that point they were trolling about baseball. Lately it's not even on-topic anymore, talking about water consumption on golf courses and color combinations beyond their use in team uniforms. Has this person actually posted anything about the game of baseball?
Actually I have, smartypants! I commented once about who would be willing to take Roy Oswalt, and I wrote another thing about baseball expansion and salary caps. Last night, I posted a thread about gang activity, and the other day one about dating someone with Asperger's.

You both just don't understand that I'm a creative individual, and many stadiums already have some of those amenities I suggested. When I mentioned the hood ornament, I was referring to the center field piece. Obviously, you and the Twins fan overlooked that. She of all people should know Target Field has one with those pine trees. And I'm using colored letters because I like them.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
The only thing on the list that makes any sense would be retractable roofs. But even then, some places can live without them.

Could make an argument for FieldTurf in the domed parks, like Toronto and Tampa. But why convert what is natural grass now to artificial? Artificial is only for domes, or fields which get insane amounts of use and wear. More appropriate for football, like Foxboro and Pittsburgh for example.
So you don't like that keyhole the Diamondbacks and Tigers have in their ballparks or the center field pieces that the Mets, Twins, Reds, and a few other teams have? You're not keen on the orange foul poles that the Mets have, either? The colored infield part I can understand why people wouldn't like. The outfield walls don't necessarily have to have designs, but they could at least be other colors besides blue or green. I was thinking other dark colors like purple, burgundy, aubergine, black, brown, and gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball