U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM

453 posts, read 339,374 times

Advertisements

1. Retractable roofs - That way, there can be no rain delays or players suffering heat strokes during the height of summer in places like Houston, Miami, Phoenix, and Arlington.

2. Upper decks - They could have those enclosing the entire outfield again like the multi-purpose stadiums once did. They could even have a special level with luxury suites for people to view the panorama of the city skyline.

3. FieldTurf - I'm talking about the newer kind they have in the NFL. This kind is actually better for your joints, and players are less injury prone than natural grass. Their knees will appreciate it as they get older.

4. Colored Turf - That same field could be different colors like that "Smurf Turf" Boise State uses (preferably darker colors.) It would be cool to have red, blue, purple, gray, or black fields. If not, they could at least make it different shades of green.

5. Hood Ornaments - I'm referring to those aesthetically pleasing things some teams have behind center field like that homerun Apple at Citi Field or those pine trees at Target Field. As an Astros fan, I'd rather they removed Tal's Hill and that pole and replaced it with extra seats and something like a space shuttle or a Sputnik model.

6. Dyed Infields - I think it would be more interesting if they dyed the dirt in the infield other colors like terra cotta, powder blue, olive green, or something. Even darker shades of brown would be cool. They could paint it the team's primary or secondary colors while the colored field is the complementary one.

7. More Keyholes - I'm referring to that dirt trail from the pitcher's mound to home plate like at Comerica Park and Bank One Ballpark. How about they have them run from the mound to all bases and make a big X in the infield.

8. Colored Foul poles - I think it's cool that the Mets are the only team in the league that doesn't have yellow foul poles. Theirs are orange. Who says foul poles can't be other colors like red, blue, green, purple, black, brown, and whatnot.

9. Psychedelic Outfield Walls
- I understand they all must be dark colors so the umpires can see the ball, but almost every single one of them is either green or blue. They should make them other colors like red, purple, brown, or orange. They can even have designs on them like that those on end zone walls in the NFL. For the Astros, they could have several planets, stars, and asteroids.

Is anyone keen on these ideas for baseball stadiums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,441,464 times
I think a moat stocked with hungry gators lining the base paths would be a much better idea.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,459,981 times
No to everything in the first post.
And yes to Toxic before yes to anything in the first post.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,874,057 times
No to everything...whats with all the things needing to be colored? I just go to see the game and the thing I care about the most is not paying too much for my food and seeing a good game without any rowdiness near me. Anything else...rain, grass, etc. doesn't bother me and its all part of the game.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,189,025 times
No, these are the worst ideas in the world.

BTW--PHX and Houston already have rectractable roofs....Miami is working on it...and who cares about Dallas?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 AM

31,055 posts, read 56,903,015 times
What color is "whatnot"?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 AM

40,058 posts, read 29,584,126 times
Absolutely not! What makes you think baseball--or any other sport, for that matter--can't be appreciated without gimmicks?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,459,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Absolutely not! What makes you think baseball--or any other sport, for that matter--can't be appreciated without gimmicks?
Maybe they sat in on a few meetings with the people at Fox.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM

31,055 posts, read 56,903,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Maybe they sat in on a few meetings with the people at Fox.
That'll make your brain explode ...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,157,057 times
Retractable roofs are almost a necessity in a stadium like Safeco in Seattle. The Mariners are a regional team, many folks, including myself, come from over 100 miles or more away to see a game. They need top be assured that after making that kind of trip, they're not going to be facing a rainout.

All the rest of that stuff is garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or