U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM

36,943 posts, read 17,425,944 times

Advertisements

We have just passed the 25th anniversary of it, July 4th, 1985. The Mets were a team on the rise, and the Braves were, well, pretty bad, when they met at Fulton County Stadium. The start of the game was delayed for an hour and a half by rain. There was another 40 minute rain delay in the third inning. The field was completely soaked and players were slipping and falling constantly. Two of the runs scored in the game came when groundballs rolled into puddles and just stayed there.

At the end of nine innings, they were tied 8-8. A two run homer gave the Mets the lead in the top of the 13th, but this was answered by a two run Braves homer in the bottom of the inning. On they went.

In the top of the 18th, the Mets scored a go ahead run, aided greatly by Braves pitcher Rick Camp making an error on a bunt.

In the bottom of the 18th, the first two Braves batters went down easily, and now, because every position player had already been used or was in the game, Rick Camp had to hit for himself.

Skip Carey went on at length about what a terrible hitter Camp was. Lifetime he was batting .030 and had never hit a homerun. He was 0 for 8 so far in the '85 season.

Strike one

Strike two

it was all over...

..and then.....Camp took a wild hack at the third pitch. He lofted it just over the fence into the Braves bullpen. I forget who the Mets leftfielder was, but he reacted by sinking to his knees and burying his head in his hands.

Tied again at 11-11.

In the top of the 19th, the Mets scored five runs..off Camp who walked two and gave up four hits.

Incredibly, with two outs in the bottom of the 19th, Keith Hernandez, who won the gold glove every year back then, made an error to keep things alive. The Braves rallied, scored two runs to make it 16-13, had two runners on base...and guess who had to bat once more?

This time Camp was unable to repeat his heroics, striking out to end the game.

His homerun remains the only one he hit in his career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,194,693 times
Good posts/stories ITT

Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,341,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
We have just passed the 25th anniversary of it, July 4th, 1985. The Mets were a team on the rise, and the Braves were, well, pretty bad, when they met at Fulton County Stadium. The start of the game was delayed for an hour and a half by rain. There was another 40 minute rain delay in the third inning. The field was completely soaked and players were slipping and falling constantly. Two of the runs scored in the game came when groundballs rolled into puddles and just stayed there.
July 4, 1985 New York Mets at Atlanta Braves Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 AM

1,853 posts, read 2,028,025 times
Most memorable of all time? Game 7 1960 Pirates beating the Yankees.
My brother was there but I had to go to school .

Most memorable actually attending? Pirates v Dodgers 1966 the night Don Drysdale refused to continue until the fans stopped waving their "Green Weenies" when Stargell cam up to bat.

Bob Prince - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Green Weenie"

In 1966, Prince popularized a good-luck charm known as the Green Weenie, a plastic rattle in the shape of an oversized green hot dog that Pirates fans used to jinx opponents. "Never underestimate the power of the Green Weenie," he liked to assure listeners. At the height of the term's popularity in 1966, Prince often punctuated the last out of a Bucs' victory by exclaiming, "The Great Green Weenie has done it again!" By late season, with the Pirates in a terrific pennant race with the Dodgers and Giants, some fans would parade a giant replica of the Green Weenie through the grandstand as a rally symbol. The hex symbol had started in the dugout with trainer Danny Whelan. Prince picked up on it and began talking about it on the broadcasts. No one thought to trademark the Green Weenie, so tens of thousands were sold in 1966, but Prince, Whelan and the Pirates didn't profit from it.

And from another poster on this board:
"The Green Weenie" -- In 1966 Prince popularized the Green Weenie -- a green rubber hot dog -- in Pittsburgh. Much like the thundersticks or similar paraphanelia of today, fans brought their weenies to the ballpark and used them, among other things, to "jinx" opposing players. At one point Prince exhorted listeners in the ballpark to wave the Green Weenie at Dodgers pitcher Don Drysdale...who promptly gave up a key hit. Big D knew who was to blame, shaking his fist up at the booth as he walked from the mound...

Old 07-25-2010, 09:20 AM
YAZ

7,067 posts, read 11,436,824 times
Well, it wasn't the most memorable GAME.

Carl Yastrzemski argued with the home plate ump.

At the end, Yaz covered the plate up with dirt.

Yep.

He was thrown out of the game.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 AM

7,513 posts, read 6,005,497 times
game 7 of the 2004 playoff series, Red Sox vs the Yankees in what capped off the greatest comeback in MLB history, and propelled the Red Sox to there 1st World Series win in 86 years.

with all of those games seemingly going until 3 am, I was extremely sleep deprived, but happy.

another would be my 1st game at Fenway, opening day 1985, I went with my dad and my brother, the Red Sox opponent were the Yanks (Phil Nekro vs the Oil Can), it wasn't much of a game, but taking in the atmosphere, gobbling up my 1st fenway frank, and wathing my favorite player Dewey homering, and the Sox winning made for a great afternoon.

I found the box score for anyone interested

Box Score of Game played on Monday, April 8, 1985 at Fenway Park

Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM

131 posts, read 391,121 times
My two (at that time) sons first game. July 4,1983 Yanks 4/Red Sox 0 : Dave Righetti threw a no hitter. Oddest Yankee line up 3rd:Campaneris 1st: Mattingly CF:Winfield LF: Piniella DH: Baylor C: Wynegar RF: Kemp SS:Smalley 2nd: Robertson P; Righetti. Kemp made a great catch in the 8th deep in the corner. What could have been better Yank or Red Sox fan you had to be proud to be in that great stadium on Independence Day for such a treat. It was also the anniversary of Lou Gehrigs farewell speech. Man...I miss that place!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:21 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Joey, I wish I could've visited old Yankee Stadium, the history there is awesome.

FWIW, in the vicinity of second base in Baltimore's Camden Yards once stood a row house where Babe Ruth was born....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,778,733 times
Couldn't find it on baseball reference but the first game I was at was the Phillies vs the Reds at the Vet back in 93. Lenny Dykstra hit the tying home run in the 9th off Rob Dibble then made a amazing diving catch in the 10th with the bases loaded to preserve the tie. Then I can't remember if it was the 11th or 12th but he hit a walkoff homer. It was still to this day the greatest single game performance I've ever seen.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM

59 posts, read 63,452 times
Default my best game

First game I ever went to. I was maybe 7 or 8. Mike Piazza hit a walk off in bottom of the 9th out of the park to win it. We were out in left field and kept watching it soar. no joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball