Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM

228 posts, read 456,865 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, this hasn't already been created.

So, I'll start us out. Do you think that the Braves can be a division contender this year, or will they at least improve.

So far, I haven't been very impressed with management and the trades.

Why the hell did they have to give up Javier Vasquez? And who did they get, Melky Cabrera. Yea! That was really smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,442,333 times
I didnt really think we had the posting volume to warrant team threads in the baseball forum. Maybe this will take off, but I doubt it.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,225,076 times
The Braves will have a shot at the WC. But the Phillies are pretty clearly the class of that division.

The reason the Braves traded Vasquez. A team only needs 5 starters, when the re-signed Hudson they had 6.

Jurrjens, Hudson, Lowe, Hanson, and Kawakami. I'm sure the reason that they traded Vasquez is because he was the starter who brought back the most talent.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 AM

of any of the pitchers to give away, i thought that they might break with Lowe or Kawakami.

also, as far as bringing back talent, vasquez only got us melky cabrera. Not the best trade the Braves have ever made, for sure.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,225,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat of the ATL View Post
of any of the pitchers to give away, i thought that they might break with Lowe or Kawakami.

also, as far as bringing back talent, vasquez only got us melky cabrera. Not the best trade the Braves have ever made, for sure.
Everything that I heard said that the Braves were trying to move Lowe, but other teams weren't interested. He's getting older, he had a bad season, and he's signed for another three years. All the reasons you wanted to trade him are reasons that other teams wouldn't want to trade for him.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,613,796 times
I really liked Vazquez and I hate to think that Cabrera should be THE left fielder, there's talk that he'll platoon with Diaz. I already know that Chipper will be injured for half the season and well...we do have Glaus and they could bring Freeman up when the inevitable happens with Chipper. I like our pitching staff and I hope that Kawakami can last more than 7 inning. I do worry about the offense a little but I think they'll be better than last year. I think that it'll be Braves/Phillies battling for 1st (forget the pundits) and the Marlins being tough too. Yes, we're making the playoffs and Heyward will be NL ROY.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Heyward is just a flat-out beast. hopefully, he won't freak out about being in the major leagues.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM

I think that he's ready. If the Braves are smart, he'll be starting on Opening Day against Chicago (but that's up for the front office to decide).

Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,720,466 times
Pitching hasn't been the problem for the Braves. They always have the lowest team era in the league. The Braves offense has to perform. The pitchers can't do everything

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Pitching hasn't been the problem for the Braves. They always have the lowest team era in the league. The Braves offense has to perform. The pitchers can't do everything
Yeah, you're right about that! The frustrating thing about last season was that they did well against Halladay, Lincecum, Lee, Santana, etc but they got shutdown by some scrubs. I'm thinking that Cabrera could be big for us this year, I don't know. Melky had to face Beckett/ Lester/ Dice K, Halladay, and Niemann/Garza, he'll now have to face Josh Johnson/Sanchez, Halladay/Happ/ Hamels, Marquis/Lannan, and Santana. Philly obviously has a strong staff and he's on a team with good pitching so I do think that his average will go up against lesser pitching.

Last edited by David Alleyne; 03-17-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball