U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM

32,682 posts, read 16,414,313 times

Advertisements

However things stand today, performances during the remaining third of the season could alter our perceptions.

Of course they haven't happened yet, so based on the way things stand at the moment, how does everyone see the individual awards being distributed? The candidates are not difficult to identify:

NL MVP
Joey Votto
Albert Pujols
Aubrey Huff

..very hard to see how it would br anyone other than one of those three. I think Votto would win an election held today

AL MVP
Miguel Cabrera
Justin Morneau
Josh Hamiliton
Robinson Cano

...might be some dark horse support for Kevin Youkillis and Jose Bautista, but I can't see them beating any of the first four listed. I think that Cabrera deserves it, but since Detroit is just barely in the race, Morneau has already won it once, and Hamilton is a sentimental favorite, Hamilton wins it in a vote today.

NL Cy Young
Josh Johnson
Roy Halladay
Adam Wainwright
Ubaldo Jiminez

....tough, tough call at the moment, probably will rest with down the stretch performances.

AL Cy Young
Cliff Lee
Clay Buchholz
David Price
Andy Pettite
Trevor Cahill

...Lee has been the best pitcher, but playing for two teams, one a non contender, and having just nine wins...could work against him.

NL Rookie
Jason Heyward
Buster Posey
Stephen Strasburg (His current DL status will probably so limit his innings that it will cost him the award) Posey has been far better than Heyward who did most of his heroics in the early going...Posey wins it.

AL Rookie
Brennan Boesch
Austin Jackson

...it is really the NL's year for outstanding rookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,587,362 times
NL MVP - Joey Votto
NL Cy Young - Josh Johnson

AL MVP - Miguel Cabrera
AL Cy Young - Cliff Lee

AL ROTY - Brandon Boesch
NL ROTY - Buster Posey

AL manager of the year - Ron Washington
NL manager of the year - Bud Black

Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 AM

444 posts, read 1,016,304 times
Good picks...I really can't argue with any except Lee. I'd give the edge to Price right now. Lee has a better chance now that he's in Texas for sure coming down the stretch.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,310,479 times
NL Rookie of the Year is Jaime Garcia.

Jason Hayward is overrated, however, it's mostly because he's been hurt. I think he'll be a solid player, I just don't think he was worthy of an All-Star selection or the NL ROY.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM

7,938 posts, read 13,246,459 times
Doc will win the NL Cy Young. Nobody has been as consistently dominant this year, even with little run support at times....the perfect game doesn't hurt, either.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM

32,682 posts, read 16,414,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
NL Rookie of the Year is Jaime Garcia.

Jason Hayward is overrated, however, it's mostly because he's been hurt. I think he'll be a solid player, I just don't think he was worthy of an All-Star selection or the NL ROY.
I missed Garcia somehow when I was making up the candidates list, he certainly belongs.

While I agree that he has been more impressive than Hayward, I do not think that he has been quite as spectacular as Posey.

It is a matter of position rarity. Garcia may be favorably compared to other ROY pitchers...Dontrelle Willis, Scott Williamson, Hideo Nomo, Todd Worell, Rick Sutcliff, John Montefusco, Tom Seaver, Hudson Street, Dave Righetti and Kerry Wood. That Garcia is superior to any of them would be a matter of argument.

Posey compares to only one ROY catcher and that is Mike Piazza. Among the seven other catchers who have been named ROY, none had seasons which could be argued as being better than Posey's.

All this is being said with the understanding that Posey still has a couple of months of his rookie year left and his performance could decline, changing the dynamics of the above.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Good picks...I really can't argue with any except Lee. I'd give the edge to Price right now. Lee has a better chance now that he's in Texas for sure coming down the stretch.
Wins aren't very indicative of how well a pitcher's pitched.

BB/9
Lee: 0.6
Price: 3.5

K/9
Lee: 6.0
Price: 7.9

K-BB
Lee: 9.7
Price: 2.2

H/9
Lee: 7.1
Price: 7.5

WHIP
Lee: 0.85
Price: 1.22

ERA
Lee: 2.51
Price: 2.82

Only category Price has Lee beat in is wins and strikeouts. Other than that it's Lee by a healthy margin

Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Doc will win the NL Cy Young. Nobody has been as consistently dominant this year, even with little run support at times....the perfect game doesn't hurt, either.
Interesting. Initally I was for Johnson but when I break it down it's a lot closer than I thought. At this point I think it's too close to call.

H/9
Johnson: 7.1
Halladay: 8.1

BB/9
Johnson: 2.2
Halladay: 1.1

K/9
Johnson: 9.2
Halladay: 8.0

K-BB
Johnson: 4.19
Halladay: 7.52

WHIP
Johnson: 1.03
Halladay: 1.02

ERA
Johnson: 1.96
Halladay: 2.17

Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 AM

444 posts, read 1,016,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Wins aren't very indicative of how well a pitcher's pitched.

BB/9
Lee: 0.6
Price: 3.5

K/9
Lee: 6.0
Price: 7.9

K-BB
Lee: 9.7
Price: 2.2

H/9
Lee: 7.1
Price: 7.5

WHIP
Lee: 0.85
Price: 1.22

ERA
Lee: 2.51
Price: 2.82

Only category Price has Lee beat in is wins and strikeouts. Other than that it's Lee by a healthy margin
Most Cy's voters look at the oooh-ahhh of W's and K's. The ERA lead by 0.3 can change in a week. If he leads 2 out of 3 of the "triple crown" pitcher stats, he has it hands down. 9W's vs 14 W's...Lee leads 3 of the catagories you picked because he doesn't walk people. I think the W's, K's, and close ERA win it for Price.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 AM

13,295 posts, read 11,919,022 times
NL MVP
Should be Votto. Will be Votto. Pujols and Huff are way off the mark. Ryan Zimmerman would be my number 2. He's forth in the league in weighted On Base Average (wOBA) behind Votto, Huff and Pujols. But those guys are first basemen and Zimmerman is an outstanding third baseman. That vaults Zimmerman's overall value up close, but just shy of Votto.

AL MVP
Pretty damn close. I think it has to come down to Hamilton or Cabrera with Cano a solid third. Cano (.398) is 8th in the league in wOBA which is outstanding for a second baseman. Now, he's not a great defensive second baseman, so I think that leaves him a bit behind Cabrera (.446) and Hamilton (.441) who are lapping the field in wOBA (Morneau .447 but has missed a big chunk of time. Youkilis at .419 is forth in wOBA).

NL Cy Young
I want to give it to Halladay, but I think that Johnson has deserved it. Johnson has outpitched Halladay with an amazing 2.32 FIP this season to Halladay's 2.80. Halladay has a big advantage in innings 178 to 147, but not enough to make up the distance in FIP. Now, Johnson does have a career low home run rate that isn't accompanied by any decrease in flyball rate so that could go up as the season progresses. It's a two horse race with Halladay and Johnson, and I'll be pulling for Halladay down the stretch because, well, I don't want to pull my Johnson.

AL Cy Young
The AL Cy is pretty crazy. Cliff Lee is the best pitcher and would get my vote. He has the highest strike out to walk ration in major league baseball history. David Price has the pretty wins and ERA, but is a couple of notches below. Jared Weaver is having an outstanding season. As are Felix Hernandez and Francisco Liriano. All three of them are having better seasons than anyone you listed.

NL Rookie
Stras is the best player, but he's not going to get to pitch enough. For the same reason I can't vote for Posey. He'll probably end up with less plate appearances on the season than Heyward has now (396). Heyward and Garcia are pretty close. I think that Heyward is more likely to continue throughout the season and there's a chance that Garcia gets shut down. I'll take Heyward.

The NL rookies are really deep this year. The guys mentioned plus guys like Mike Leake and Ike Davis are all better than...

AL Rookie
One of the Detroit OFers. Boesch has been better so far, but has been playing over his head, and it's catching up to him. Jackson has a chance to catch him.

Neftali Perez, Wade Davis and Mitch Talbot deserve mention as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or