U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM

1,272 posts, read 3,619,809 times

Advertisements

Hello. My son has quite a few shoeboxes full of cards that he got one way or another. Through shows or bought individually when he was between the ages of 8-12. Now he is a teen, and not really interested.

Have looked up a few of the cards, and surprise, surprise, there is some value there. Loosely looked at some of the magazines. It seems that baseball card collecting hinges on obviously quality, and then other points of which I know not.

Can someone direct me to a good resource; book, online that would explain this hobby and help to get the mounds of cards sorted out by value? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM

2,447 posts, read 3,590,375 times
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news... but..

Unfortunately, over the last 5-10 years, the values of baseball cards and other sports cards have plummetted. Mostly due to Ebay, and other types of sites.

The price guides you are using, I am assuming they are "Tuff Stuff" or Beckett, or a book. Most of the prices in there are overinflated, and you will have a VERY hard time getting rid of them for even 10% of what is listed, unless it was something incredibly rare.

You can do some research online, I have read articles lately on the decline of the sports card industry, and how there are so few Card Shops left in the country.

It is a real shame, to be honest. I collected sports cards growing up and have some that used to be worth a decent amount. Now, nothing.

As an idea for you, instead of looking in the guides, I would look the cards up individually on Ebay to see what they are currently selling for, and then maybe go that route. Otherwise, I think you would have a very hard time getting rid of them.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM

10,438 posts, read 8,442,367 times
Check to see if he has one of these Honus Wagner cards. If so, I'll trade it for a Kent Hrbek and a Steve Lambardozzi. It is after all old and likely worn.

Honus Wagner card sold for $2.35 million - Baseball- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 PM

13,223 posts, read 12,397,538 times
James W. Beckett and Sport Collectors Digest are two price guides that have been putting out price books since the early 1980's. Tuff Stuff is another source that I would trust, their price lists are in magazine form.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks guys for the responses so far. Yes, I am in the process of looking several up on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Check to see if he has one of these Honus Wagner cards. If so, I'll trade it for a Kent Hrbek and a Steve Lambardozzi. It is after all old and likely worn.

Honus Wagner card sold for $2.35 million - Baseball- nbcsports.msnbc.com
Hmm...I think I saw one like the picture?!! Bottom shelf in old dusty container in my great great grandmother's root cellar. It looked super old and ragged. Laughing.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 PM

13,223 posts, read 12,397,538 times
One of the things that really hurt the baseball card industry IMO was the 1994 major league baseball strike. For stores who only dealt with cards only a lot of them folded. The ones that survived dealt with a lot of ball caps, pennants, jerseys, autographed items, etc. The football season helped obviously, but baseball cards took a downward spiral for a while, for sure. I had to sell my collection (pre 1970 and before) to pay for a surgery(had run out of health insurance), and man, I miss those cards! Haven't had an occasion to look at E-bay on auction results. I might not WANT to!

IonRedline 08, what about pre-1970 cards, autographed items, and the like? It sounds like what oldhousegirl has is cards from the late 90's and newer. I was long out of it by the late 90's. It would be sad if the vintage stuff is hitting the skids on those items.

But maybe I should not be surprised as this economy is hitting on two cylinders, that certainly isn't helping matters any!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM

7,407 posts, read 4,082,951 times
the general rule is pre 1981, Topps was really the only manufacturer then, once 81 hit Fleer and Donruss started and the market became flooded.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
the general rule is pre 1981, Topps was really the only manufacturer then, once 81 hit Fleer and Donruss started and the market became flooded.
Prior to 81' there was topps, and earlier there was Bowman and Fleer.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
Beckett is definitely the best source. Most values are based on low circulation. Once 1988 hit there were endless companies making cards and some made multiple sets. there are some individual cards that have good value like Ken Griffey Jr. (Upper Deck rookie) and alot of todays stars have some value but the market is not what it once was. You also have to judge each card based on if it is centered properly, if corners are sharp (not fuzzy), etc, etc, etc...Good luck!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Yeah, one card in particular that my son has is an Albert Pujols rookie card. It is selling for $100and up with a > 9.5 Beckett grade.

From the naked eye it looks excellent, has been stored in a plastic shield, never "played" with.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 08-19-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball