Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:46 AM

6,402 posts, read 8,941,541 times

Advertisements

There hasn't been a Tigers thread since the '12 season. I know the current season has left much to be desired but thought it might still be useful to have a Tiger talk thread to discuss anything and everything Detroit Tigers.

At the current time I am interested in reading Tiger literature. There's a few new biographies about Ty Cobb and I thumbed over a recent Kaline bio at the local Barnes & Noble. Might return to pick it up. I'm also interested in a SABR publication called Detroit the Unconquerable: The 1935 World Champion Tigers by Scott Ferkovitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 02:23 AM

Verlander pitched a gem and nearly stepped into the history books among legends.

Yahoo! Sports

Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM

18,179 posts, read 25,734,844 times
I grew up in the Denver/Colorado Springs area as a kid, the Denver Bears were the farm club (AAA) of the Tigers in the early 60's. Went to a bunch of those games, I always remember certain things, like Dick McAuliffe's batting stance! Lots of Tigers came up from Denver, some of the noteworthy ones were Jake Wood, Mickey Lolich, Dick Tracewski, Steve Boros, Bill Freehan, Dick McAuliffe, and several others.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-27-2015 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I grew up in the Denver/Colorado Springs area as a kid, the Denver Bears were the farm club (AAA) of the Tigers in the early 60's. Went to a bunch of those games, I always remember certain things, like Dick McAuliffe's batting stance! Lots of Tigers came up from Denver, some of the noteworthy ones were Jake Wood, Mickey Lolich, Dick Tracewski, Steve Boros, Bill Freehan, Dick McAuliffe, and several others.
Another Detroit/Denver connection would be Billy Martin managing the Bears in '68.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:35 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,273,221 times
Not exactly the best time of year to start a baseball thread, but appropriate perhaps, since it appears the Tigers have some rebuilding to do.

By way of introduction, I started following the Tigers as a sub-teen in the late Fifties. Home is in Northeastern Pennsylvania, but the Phillies were in poor shape during those years, and in our family, you did not root for the Yankees.

Due to either the flatness of Lake Erie, the lay of the mountains, or both, the Tiger radio broadcasts on WJR always came in pretty strong, and after Mr. Harwell signed off, you only needed to move that dial a little bid to get a great variety of rock-&-roll from CKLW over in Windsor. So for an auslander, I got to know Detroit pretty well.

It might be due in part to the dispersal of Detroiters over the entire country, but I think the team's long and colorful history, its always-classy logo, its great collection of Hall-of-Famers (and the occasional rogue to keep things interesting) more than qualify the Tigers as described in my C-D "signature" -- America's baseball team.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,273,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There hasn't been a Tigers thread since the '12 season. I know the current season has left much to be desired but thought it might still be useful to have a Tiger talk thread to discuss anything and everything Detroit Tigers.

At the current time I am interested in reading Tiger literature. There's a few new biographies about Ty Cobb and I thumbed over a recent Kaline bio at the local Barnes & Noble. Might return to pick it up. I'm also interested in a SABR publication called Detroit the Unconquerable: The 1935 World Champion Tigers by Scott Ferkovitch.
Read Al Stump's unflattering (and questionable) biography of Cobb written around the time of the Georgia Peach's death in the early Sixties -- then read the new biography by Charles Leerhsen. There will be plenty to discuss here.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Read Al Stump's unflattering (and questionable) biography of Cobb written around the time of the Georgia Peach's death in the early Sixties -- then read the new biography by Charles Leerhsen. There will be plenty to discuss here.
I read Stump's book years ago and recently read Alexander's bio published in '84. The previous was an entertaining read and I laughed out loud at the telling of Cobb keeping the return postage sent along with autograph requests and burning the requests. It wasn't until recently I learned that Stump's book was a sensationalist hatchet job. The latter was a more balanced and scholarly. Looking forward to reading the recent releases.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:38 PM

0-11 against The Tribe this season. Many blowouts included. These games could play a crucial role in their fate this season. Good work by Cleveland, though. Definitely a team worthy of respect.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,295,144 times
wow, swept by a mediocre Tampa Bay team......and the poor fielding, errors----can't say I've ever seen a team so bad in the field ever......

Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
wow, swept by a mediocre Tampa Bay team......and the poor fielding, errors----can't say I've ever seen a team so bad in the field ever......
Tigers aren't very good. Teams are probably on the same level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball